I just found this app tonight, and it looks like it was a recent addition to app world, so hopefully this isn't a repeat post. I searched, but didn't find anything else like it.

The app is called File Browser (pretty straightforward name, I know). I didn't make it, but I just started playing around with it tonight and its good. The UI is nice, but there's a little bit of poking around needed in order to get to the actual locations of the saved files. There are instructions on the app's page as to how to get there. It almost looks like the creator used the info introduced in this thread Browser App Gives Access to File System as the basis for their app. But, (finally!) the really great feature of this app is that it allows you to delete items from your PlayBook, including PDFs.

Additionally, when you connect to your handheld through the bridge, and after you enter in your password for your phone when opening any of the bridge'd programs, you can also browse through your BlackBerry's SD card in the app.

Now, that doesn't really allow you to do more than what the Bridge Files app currently does, but when (if?) future updates for file browser come with the ability to copy and paste files, then that might make it easier to transfer items from an SD card on your phone to your PlayBook.

So try it out (its free!) and see what you think. Hopefully this will provide some of the features users have been asking for.

File Browser App for PlayBook

5/18/11 EDIT: It seems there are bunch of people having issues downloading this and that it is no longer free Several ways to fix the downloading issue have been suggested by others, so be sure to check them out. I plan on listing them here in a future edit.
    Last edited by cmcichon; 05-18-11 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Update
    dodger_moore and Dive OHS like this.
    05-16-11 10:13 PM
    Why it has to be an app?
    05-16-11 10:29 PM
    Why it has to be an app?
    That point has been, and will continue to be, debated ad nauseum. This post was more for pointing out that a file explorer, which I know many people have been looking for, has shown up in app world.

As for why it has to be an app, I don't know. While I am an engineer, I went the structural route, not the software route, and therefore cannot answer your question.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    05-16-11 10:38 PM
    I did a search and the results show it is $0.99, but when I click on it the price is free. Unfortunately it produces an error message when I try and install it. I rebooted the PB and tried again, but got the same error.
    05-16-11 10:56 PM
    I did a search and the results show it is $0.99, but when I click on it the price is free. Unfortunately it produces an error message when I try and install it. I rebooted the PB and tried again, but got the same error.
    Same here.
    05-16-11 11:00 PM
    One more who gets the error.
    at one point the search page that showed various files showed the price as free
    05-16-11 11:19 PM
    I found it under featured apps and tried to install it and get an error and reinstall option. When i go to my uninstalled apps it shows there. weird
    05-16-11 11:57 PM
    I just downloaded it and seems to be working very good... answering the question on why it has to be an app well... "everything is an app" even (if you are using Windows) the Windows Explorer is a program running that shows the hard drive content etc. I believe your question was "why someone else and not RIM has to make a file browser?"
    05-17-11 12:20 AM
    same error
    05-17-11 12:22 AM
    I get the error too.
    05-17-11 12:25 AM
    error here too
    05-17-11 01:58 AM
    Error here too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 06:26 AM
    This just kills me. Waiting for a file explorer (which I don't want to pay for because it should have come standard) but grateful to the developer who created one. Now I can't pay good money to download........frustration building.....

The Hankster
    05-17-11 07:48 AM
    Hmmmm. This is rather curious.
    05-17-11 08:13 AM
    Hmmmm. This is rather curious.
    Agreed, this is curious. It installed perfectly for me last night at 10pm (central) but it appears everyone is having an issue with it now.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up

Hopefully it will get straightened out soon
    05-17-11 08:26 AM
    Same install error. Albiet incomplete, this should be included, but glad it's "free"....
    05-17-11 09:44 AM
    I tried again this morning and it thinks it was installed and still gets the error when I select "REINSTALL."

Still no success - But I rebooted and then it did not think there was a prior install, so I selected Install - still get the same error. I wonder if there's some other app that I (others) have installed that is causing this error??

I guess I can look but is there a contact RIM link somewhere to ask about the error?

Well, I just sent an email to the Support link for the app itself: app.customer.service"@"gmail.com (glitched the email to prevent it getting spam)
    Last edited by F2; 05-17-11 at 10:14 AM.
    05-17-11 09:59 AM
    I installed it some time ago and got the same error. It mysteriously showed up in my apps last night and I could actually access it. I started to post about it then but I was too sleepy.

To the OP: I know this is laziness, but what folder did you finally find the playbook files in? I was able to find my phone files (and use them on the playbook -- good discovery for phone videos), but I couldn't find files created on the playbook (except pictures of course).
    05-17-11 10:14 AM
    To the OP: I know this is laziness, but what folder did you finally find the playbook files in? I was able to find my phone files (and use them on the playbook -- good discovery for phone videos), but I couldn't find files created on the playbook (except pictures of course).
    I will have to get back to you on this one. I'm at work now and unable to get to my PB.
    05-17-11 10:24 AM
    I think there is an issue with the app itself. or the packaging. on the app world it shows as price at $0.99 and when you click on tit for a detailed view, it shows the app is FREE. and when I click download it gives an error message.
    IndubitablyMe likes this.
    05-17-11 12:39 PM
    same installation error here. Running the most current release, .1868.
    05-17-11 12:58 PM
    Error here too
    05-17-11 01:46 PM
    Same error here. I've actually gotten this error in App World before - downloaded some solitaire game a few days after the PB launch. A few days later, the app was updated and the developer had given it a new .99 pricetag (it was free before). So I tried to dl the update and boom! error. At the time I thought that it might have something to do with the fact that I was technically trying to download a paid app for free, and a bug in App World was denying it. So maybe with the File Browser app, since it's showing as .99 on the main page and free on the download page, this particular bug is causing the error??

OP, was the app showing as free or paid when you dl'ed it successfully last night?
    05-17-11 02:23 PM
    OP, was the app showing as free or paid when you dl'ed it successfully last night?
    It was definitely showing as free last night.

But here is something interesting: BlackBerry App World - Search Results for "File Browser"

That's my search results on the webstore, and it shows it as having a price of $0.99.

But, when you click on the link for the app's page you see this: BlackBerry App World - File Browser

And it is listed there as free.

Really weird if you ask me. Hopefully it will get straightened out soon. I feel bad for pointing everyone in this direction, only to end up with frustration!
    (Must be my luck for starting my first ever thread...)
    05-17-11 02:43 PM
    I was at work trying to download this app as well and wondering what was going on with the error message. I saw it was $.99 and thought it should free. When I clicked it, it then said it was free. Then I got the error message. I thought it might have been my WiFi connection, but it's not working on my home network either.
    05-17-11 04:20 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD