There's a lot of complaining about the number and quality of apps available in App World. Aside from apps that are high-profile what are some of your favorite apps that either fall under the radar or just plain get lost in the sea of apps listed? I'm looking for recommendations of apps that you tried and were pleasantly surprised with not knowing what to expect.

Please keep this to a discussion about specific apps and not a place to make general statements about the Playbook ecosystem.

I'll start with 2:

Battery Guru - While it might not sound like the most compelling thing to run, this app is incredibly useful. Not only does it tell you everything you never knew you wanted to know about your battery, your Playbook battery consumption vs Playbook activity, but it also let's me quickly figure out if the 'lightning bolt' on the battery icon is correctly identifying that the battery is really charging.

Daily Grind - This cool little app allows you to mix all kinds of sounds on your Playbook. You can record tracks and then record tracks on top.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-18-12 09:04 PM
    Skytunes is one of the apps I use at home often to stream music from my NAS share connected to my basement computer.
    04-18-12 09:19 PM
    I am partial to QR Scanner by Tobias Rothe scans and generates qr codes. It is a port of the Java Zebra Crossing project. I was playing with the Java code a while back and it must have been a huge effort to convert the code. It is a fine piece of work and it is continually being improved. It suffers a bit from the PB camera's lack of a flash for low-light conditions and has received some unfair criticism in the past. The app works very well though and I do admire great workmanship. It's a free download and proves PB's capabilities. I hope that you try it out for yourself. and give the developer a little encouragement.
    pinkert11 likes this.
    04-18-12 09:21 PM
    04-18-12 09:24 PM
    I am partial to QR Scanner by Tobias Rothe scans and generates qr codes. It is a port of the Java Zebra Crossing project. I was playing with the Java code a while back and it must have been a huge effort to convert the code. It is a fine piece of work and it is continually being improved. It suffers a bit from the PB camera's lack of a flash for low-light conditions and has received some unfair criticism in the past. The app works very well though and I do admire great workmanship. It's a free download and proves PB's capabilities. I hope that you try it out for yourself. and give the developer a little encouragement.
    I love seeing a QR code somewhere, snapping a picture of it with my phone, and then just scanning it later on the PB. :P Random fun...
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-18-12 09:26 PM
    Aedict and Obenkyo, both amazing applications to help learn Japanese.
    04-18-12 09:29 PM
    i hope my flashing signs app makes it to someones list one day
    amrovi2014 likes this.
    04-18-12 09:59 PM
    QR Code for sure. If you're a web developer/admin, Telnet/SSH is a great port of Putty.
    04-19-12 12:48 AM
    Daily Grind - This cool little app allows you to mix all kinds of sounds on your Playbook. You can record tracks and then record tracks on top.
    Searched AppWorld but can't find this app.
    04-19-12 08:55 AM
    It's an Android app, but I quite like URLtoPDf which is available on AppWorld (also prefer qPDF to Adobe). Downloaded Overdrive yesterday (another Android app on AppWorld) and succeeded in signing out two EPUB books from my Public Library (also have and like Book Reader which is. PB app).
    04-19-12 09:04 AM
    i hope my flashing signs app makes it to someones list one day
    One of my new fave lesser known apps is this little program called "Flashing Signs"

Y'all should check it out . . .
    04-19-12 09:41 AM
    Beats Brainwave Entrainment by Jamie Beach helps me sleep and relax. It gets updated a lot as well.
    04-19-12 09:53 AM
    That was the app i was going to mention, it might not be overly impressive but it has been very useful to me.
    04-19-12 10:14 AM
    The Daily Grind App is no longer listed in App World. The author, iSpark Systems released an app called iSequenceNloop on March 2nd apparently. Daily Grind was a free app and the new one, iSequenceNloop, costs $2.99. I have no idea what has changed except the price so I can't really comment on iSequenceNloop.
    04-19-12 11:04 AM
    I agree with Buzz, QR Scanner as been on my playbook since it was released and I use it all the time. I would love to see the addition of a bar code scanner that simply translated the code to text. I have one on my BB that works good but would be great to have on my Playbook. It is handy for scanning then copy and google the item code.

Two lesser known apps that I really like, and my eight year old daughter hates, are Math Flash and Math Quiz. These are both great flash card apps. They both work a little different such that one has more settings for type and level but is a pick the answer and the other has less control on the type of questions but you have to type in the answer. I can tell you since my daughter has been using these for 15 min a night (total time) her multiplication and division has really improved. The last two weekly pop tests were 100%
    04-19-12 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD