Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had a Family Tree / Genealogy App for the Playbook (or any way to view and update data on one!)

I would gladly pay (not too much though say �10) if there are and developers who can build something like this out there?
    12-28-11 07:28 PM
    Not an app, but still a very nice resource:

https://familysearch.org/
    loreburne likes this.
    12-28-11 08:04 PM
    Are you looking for resources for researching family history, or are you looking for a means of recoding your research?

I can see researching but for that you only need the browser. As for a program like Family Tree Maker, I'm not sure that an app would be robust enough. I could be wrong about that because I'm new to tablets, but family history research data just seems better serviced by a desk top or laptop.

Almost any of the genealogical websites and their contents should be available on the Playbook.

HTH
    loreburne likes this.
    12-28-11 08:14 PM
    I have most of my family tree complete (it is in a Family Tree maker program on my laptop, and also online ) but what I was looking for was if I was out and about the ability to update entries with more information when I find it, rather than waiting to input at home. There was an android app which I used on my old Archos tablet that did the job. Will this work on the Playbook in future as I here android apps will work?

Thanks for your help
    12-28-11 08:19 PM
    I have most of my family tree complete (it is in a Family Tree maker program on my laptop, and also online ) but what I was looking for was if I was out and about the ability to update entries with more information when I find it, rather than waiting to input at home. There was an android app which I used on my old Archos tablet that did the job. Will this work on the Playbook in future as I here android apps will work?

Thanks for your help
    Well, I'm unable to help you tbere as I have no experience with android. I can visualize how handy it would be to have a Family Tree Maker app that could accurately export the data from the PB into my PC program. However that would be up to FTM to develop or have developed.

Sorry I can't help you more.
    12-28-11 08:36 PM
    Hi,

I have worked out a way of loading a family tree onto the Blackberry Playbook.

Firstly, download Ged2Web from Ged2Web This is free software. Once installed, import a Gedcom of your choice. Once imported, go to ‘Options’ and then ‘File Size’. We need to keep the number of pages generated to a minimum so I selected 1000 Individuals, 1000 Index Block Size and 100 Index Blocks Per File. If too many pages are generated, the Playbook cannot compute them. Next, output the Gedcom in the Ged2Web which will generate the pages. Rename the automatically generated folder of web pages to something else (I called mine Family Tree). Then, upload the folder containing the pages to your documents folder on the Playbook. To open the folder I used the free app called Air Browser. The native file manager cannot seem to find folders. Once you find the folder, click on any web page within it. Then navigate to the index of individuals pages and create a short cut to your home page. You now have a family tree on your Playbook that does not require software installed on it or an internet connection and costs nothing. Only downside is that media and sources are not supported.

The above will seem complicated to some, but the whole process can be completed in under 5 minutes once you know what you’re doing.

Kind Regards,

Craig Mollekin
    loreburne likes this.
    12-28-12 07:05 PM
    03-10-13 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD