Sorry, but I don't need to keep my phone at my side every waking hour.

Face it apps make things easier. Sorry you can't see that through your hatred of anything other than RIM.
    So now your argument is you don't always have your phone on you? Haha nice try.

While you're at it why don't you find a Microsoft forum and ask them to develop a native Facebook app for your Windows PC? You're probably missing out on some duplicated notifications there too.

Of course an app would be nice, but it's not the necessity that you've been led to believe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 05:40 PM

Of course an app would be nice, but it's not the necessity that you've been led to believe.

Ummm....you just said what I've been saying this whole time. It's convenient.
    04-29-11 05:43 PM
    Yep, and you don't use any of them.

By the way I said native, but reading comprehension and objective thinking clearly aren't your strong points.

04-29-11 05:47 PM
    Oh, I don't know... Notifications, not having to zoom in and out all the time since the webpage isn't made to be viewed on a 7" screen, not having to wait for a webpage to load, etc.
    Doesn't your phone already provide those notifications?
    Is zooming really a problem on the Facebook site - really? I don't have a problem with it.
    The FaceBook app on my phone sometimes have connectivity problems. That's even worse than having load times and there are no load time issues with my PlayBook especially considering that there is nothing on FaceBook that is so pressing that that I just have to have it load so fast.

Nope, no app needed.
    04-29-11 05:50 PM
    Again you miss my point. Why does ANYONE want ANY apps since most things can be done online (e-mail, calendar, games, etc.)?
    Again you miss my point notifications are an on the go system when you can't be near a computer or tablet. Why have them pop up when there is no need for it.

04-29-11 05:55 PM

Nope, no app needed.
    Then why, praytell, does every smartphone and tablet have a Facebook app?

The answer: The consumers want it.

Why are you even arguing? Will your BB no longer work if I have the facebook app?
    04-29-11 05:55 PM
    Again you miss my point notifications are any on the go system when you can't be near a computer or tablet. Why have them pop up when there is no need for it.

It's not up to you to decide the needs of others.

And you still haven't responded to my other point. Why do we need apps for e-mail, calendar, contact, etc?
    04-29-11 05:56 PM
    Then why, praytell, does every smartphone and tablet have a Facebook app?

The answer: The consumers want it.

Why are you even arguing? Will your BB no longer work if I have the facebook app?
    The whole idea of apps was built around cell phones because the browsers are not suitable for the site.
    and now that my cell phone has the app and my PB browser is a great one, I (nor you) don't need the redundancy.

wanting and needing are 2 different things and that's actually the point.
    04-29-11 06:01 PM
    It's not up to you to decide the needs of others.

And you still haven't responded to my other point. Why do we need apps for e-mail, calendar, contact, etc?
    I for one don't I have enough things that get emails and that stuff. If look back at previous posts I made I have been a big proponent for the bridge function cause I don't want another device I have to get emails on

04-29-11 06:02 PM
    I need a twitter app...tweetdeck would be nice. Facebook website works fine on the playbook.
    04-29-11 06:03 PM
    I for one don't I have enough things that get emails and that stuff. If look back at previous posts I made I have been a big proponent for the bridge function cause I don't want another device I have to get emails on

That's fine for you, but there's obviously a market that wants it. Having one device notify you so you can use another device to do something about it is worthless. That's why pagers went/are going out.
    04-29-11 06:04 PM

wanting and needing are 2 different things and that's actually the point.
    And I've mentioned, on several occasions, that I want, not need, a Facebook app. And since it's already being developed, I don't see why you're arguing.
    04-29-11 06:05 PM
    That's fine for you, but there's obviously a market that wants it. Having one device notify you so you can use another device to do something about it is worthless. That's why pagers went/are going out.
    Isnt that the same as an app vs the website.

04-29-11 06:11 PM
    Isnt that the same as an app vs the website.

Err... no?
    04-29-11 06:13 PM
    The needs to be an app that lets you chat with friends. The chat window at the bottom of the website is a pain to use. You have to close the keyboard and scroll in the chat window to see everything past the first two lines.
    04-29-11 06:16 PM
    Err... no?
    Why someone post on the web and you are notified about it seems the same per your example.

Again fundemental difference apparently you use facebook for constant commincation with people, I do not so I don't see the need for constant notifications. I just don't see why it is a pain to log onto the website and you feel the need for an app that is constant contact with facebook

04-29-11 06:23 PM
    Why someone post on the web and you are notified about it seems the same per your example.
    I said notification on one device and use on another. I want to be notified on one device and access it on that same device.
    04-29-11 06:25 PM
    The people that are arguing for the app don't understand the basic principle of want vs. need. You WANT to have notifications on your PlayBook every time someone replies to your status but you don't NEED it. You may want it because you think it would be more convenient or because you're under some delusion that somehow the regular site doesn't work with touch, which it does, but that all comes down to a want and not a need.

With an app, it would probably take ages to get the chat to work, my phone and the tablet would be letting me know about notifications at the same time (this is a bigger deal with Facebook than it is with email since reading a notification on one device doesn't erase it on another like inboxes do), I can't play ridiculous Facebook games when I'm bored, and I can't watch embedded video. These are all things that I can do with the website just fine.

On top of this, those that say that an app is necessary on phones as well would have a few people disagreeing with them. While I like a Facebook app on my phone, I know many people that choose not to download the app and just use m.facebook.com. They say that it's faster, easier to use and navigate, and that it saves space. So, while you may believe that apps are the most necessary thing that ever existed on the planet, a lot of people would tell you otherwise and with the PlayBook, a Facebook app is just plainly not necessary. I'd rather RIM focus on doing other things for the PlayBook than devoting time or resources to something that is so unbelievably superfluous.
    04-29-11 06:33 PM
    I'm not sure why you bothered with a long winded post without reading the thread. I've stated at least five times that I want it, not that I need it.

Plus it's already being made, so what's the problem?

EDIT: I hope you're all aware that it's Adobe creating the Facebook app, not RIM, right?
    04-29-11 06:36 PM
    I said notification on one device and use on another. I want to be notified on one device and access it on that same device.
    I could wax poetically of the bridge being the same as another app but since you ignored the bottom part of my post I guess you don't want to listen

04-29-11 06:48 PM
    The Facebook App shown off in the Adobe demo looks very nice. I will take one of those useless applications please. Thanks. That full web experience line bothers me since I feel it was a way to cover for lack of quality apps at launch. However, there are some applications that are starting to trickle into App World that sparkle. I still want to see some TAT goodness in App World. Come on, RIMM. You can do it!
    04-29-11 06:52 PM
    I'm not sure why you bothered with a long winded post without reading the thread. I've stated at least five times that I want it, not that I need it.

Plus it's already being made, so what's the problem?

EDIT: I hope you're all aware that it's Adobe creating the Facebook app, not RIM, right?
    Christ, if that's long for you, you need to read more. May I recommend a few books that would be worth checking out? Perhaps something along the lines of Dr. Seuss for your short attention span?
    04-29-11 06:56 PM
    Christ, if that's long for you, you need to read more. May I recommend a few books that would be worth checking out? Perhaps something along the lines of Dr. Seuss for your short attention span?
    Congratulations on bringing my intelligence into question. It's nice that you resort to insults rather than acknowledging a simple point.
    04-29-11 07:00 PM
    The people that are arguing for the app don't understand the basic principle of want vs. need. You WANT to have notifications on your PlayBook every time someone replies to your status but you don't NEED it. You may want it because you think it would be more convenient or because you're under some delusion that somehow the regular site doesn't work with touch, which it does, but that all comes down to a want and not a need.

With an app, it would probably take ages to get the chat to work, my phone and the tablet would be letting me know about notifications at the same time (this is a bigger deal with Facebook than it is with email since reading a notification on one device doesn't erase it on another like inboxes do), I can't play ridiculous Facebook games when I'm bored, and I can't watch embedded video. These are all things that I can do with the website just fine.

On top of this, those that say that an app is necessary on phones as well would have a few people disagreeing with them. While I like a Facebook app on my phone, I know many people that choose not to download the app and just use m.facebook.com. They say that it's faster, easier to use and navigate, and that it saves space. So, while you may believe that apps are the most necessary thing that ever existed on the planet, a lot of people would tell you otherwise and with the PlayBook, a Facebook app is just plainly not necessary. I'd rather RIM focus on doing other things for the PlayBook than devoting time or resources to something that is so unbelievably superfluous.
    Who the **** cares if it's a WANT or a NEED. Let's be real, the playbook is just a toy when it boils down to it. An awesome toy at that. I highly doubt any of us that bought the playbook truly NEED it, we merely bought it because we wanted it and because it's cool. It makes no sense to have to constantly log into facebook every time we want to check if we got a wall post or message or something. With an app it would just let us know with a nice little icon in the top left corner.

I don't understand your logic assuming that an app could not handle facebook chat. The facebook apps on all other platforms (including BB OS 6) handle facebook chat just fine. There is also no reason why embedded videos and flash games could not run as well. The app is being developed by Adobe for crying out loud... They invented flash I'm sure they can correctly implement it within an appm

04-29-11 07:12 PM
    It is very depressing that almost everything devolves into an argument on CB now. Meh, oh well.
    04-29-11 07:14 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD