I'm a newish Evernote user, and a while back I posted on their forum a question and request (re: tried to sell them) to support the upcoming PlayBook.

Their Blackberry app has left a lot to be desired, and a lot of that is due to the difficulty in developing ANYTHING on the BB OS. Here is a chance for them to really shine with an app based on newer, easier, development platforms.

Their response?

"Hi I don't have information on this matter. Howver according to Playbook specs and leaks the device should be able to host both Blackberry and Android versions of the application."

I think this is a good real-world example of why development could be stunted on PlayBook by the Android App Player and BB OS app support.

Unfortunately I think a lot of stretched developers will take the "our Blackberry and Android apps are good enough" stance rather than fully exploit the power that is available on PlayBook.

At least until it can build enough user base not to be dismissed out of hand...

Thoughts? Am I overestimating this as an issue?
    04-26-11 10:30 AM
    I have had the same concern. We'll have to see what happens over the next couple of months, and keep our fingers crossed.
    04-26-11 10:48 AM
    I think there is some danger on that front, but hopefully once (a) power users start explaining the business case for native apps, and (b) more info on the PB makes it to the wider consciousness, some of this will fade away.
    paulvr01 likes this.
    04-26-11 12:41 PM
    At least there will be an app though! I understand the pitfalls of this app player thing but in the end if you have no apps for the device then it's a paperweight.
    04-26-11 05:19 PM
    At least there will be an app though! I understand the pitfalls of this app player thing but in the end if you have no apps for the device then it's a paperweight.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far. I am happily getting a lot done with the web browser. That having been said, some good apps which allow offline work, will definitely add a whole lot to the value of the Playbook.
    04-26-11 08:12 PM
    That's one thing about the cloud computing crowd - they sometimes assume that you always have access.

Cloud app developers tend to make local off-line capability their very last priority (ehemm... Evernote for BlackBerry). Those of us who are very mobile can't always live in the cloud, leaving us with an app we can't use part of the time.
    04-27-11 08:40 AM
    That's one thing about the cloud computing crowd - they sometimes assume that you always have access.

Cloud app developers tend to make local off-line capability their very last priority (ehemm... Evernote for BlackBerry). Those of us who are very mobile can't always live in the cloud, leaving us with an app we can't use part of the time.
    I'm all for living in the cloud but I don't have access to said cloud 75% of the time when I'm in class.

I guess one note + dropbox will just have to continue...
    04-28-11 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD