Okay so with RIM's promotion for the free PlayBook I decided to make an app and submit it. It doesn't look like it's going to be ready in time, however now that I'm a registered app world vendor I want to send in some Android apps I repackaged before I was a vendor, yet I don't want to get a free PlayBook if they see me uploading apps when all I did was repackage someone elses work. Help? Suggestions? I'm really eager to upload them and don't want to wait so I can avoid it but I guess I could haha.

P.S. sorry if my grammar sucked, #writtenat3:30am
    02-07-12 02:33 AM
    You can't submit someone else's work. Period.
    02-07-12 02:37 AM
    You can't submit someone else's work. Period.
    Awwww... I was hoping to upload Kindle and charge you all $5 for it.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-07-12 06:15 AM
    Uploading some other developers app without buying the rights is unethical, so if you're interested in submitting an app to the app world it should be yours/you should have the rights to distribute them.
    02-07-12 07:19 AM
    ^^ Um, yeah. What he said.
    02-07-12 10:19 AM
    yeah, thats not an ethics issue - thats just wrong.

i thought you were going to ask if you should yank your playbook out of your 2 year old daughters hands so you can play angry birds, instead of watching her poking at Harold and his purple crayon for the 10millionth time. you've got pigs to crush, damnit!

though i guess thats not really an ethics issue either, more of a values decision, really.
    02-07-12 10:29 AM
    Don't think of it as an ethical matter either. That would be merely between you and your conscience.

Think rather of it as a legal issue, with the consequences being between you and your judge, jury, jailer, and eventually parole officer. Oh, and the lawyers who will sue your a$$ on behalf of the person you'd be stealing from (the real developer) and take your house away from you.

Often best, however, to align your ethics on the side of the law...
    diegonei and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-07-12 10:48 AM
    Folks, ethics concerns the principles of "right" and "wrong" as dictated by one's self or society.

That said, Peter is correct that it is mostly a legal issue. If the intent is to benefit the ecosystem, just gain permission and give credit if closed-sourced. You will be at the whim of the dev. If open-sourced and depending on the license, fork, give credit, build and submit. Else, encourage the dev to submit and offer your help with the process. Usually folks are lazy, and you might just get the permission to submit it yourself.

Err on caution.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-07-12 12:09 PM
    Okay, there was no question I didn't want to submit it for the playbook, no way I would want a $200 tablet for someone elses work, I just didn't realize you weren't supposed to upload them at all. :P I suppose that seems stupid but the Handster Inc apps all were android apps they'd just converted and upload, not THEIR apps. Anyway, thanks everyone I won't submit. :P
    LimeTripBlog and peter9477 like this.
    02-07-12 03:59 PM
    I think Handster Inc is buying the rights or maybe working with original app developers. Most of their apps are free.
    If they are submitting apps without the consent of the developers, God save them.
    Last edited by LimeTripBlog; 02-07-12 at 04:07 PM.
    zethaaron likes this.
    02-07-12 04:04 PM
    Haha yeah even if I had waited untill the promotion was over and uploaded, no way I would have tried to charge for them. That would have been even more moronic then I probably already seem right now. :P

God save them indeed haha
    02-07-12 06:10 PM
    Okay so with RIM's promotion for the free PlayBook I decided to make an app and submit it. It doesn't look like it's going to be ready in time, however now that I'm a registered app world vendor I want to send in some Android apps I repackaged before I was a vendor, yet I don't want to get a free PlayBook if they see me uploading apps when all I did was repackage someone elses work. Help? Suggestions? I'm really eager to upload them and don't want to wait so I can avoid it but I guess I could haha.

P.S. sorry if my grammar sucked, #writtenat3:30am
    I just wanted to say hey, I understand having questions. Thanks for asking the community before rolling with it.

Only authorized companies are able to re-use applications (namely, places like Hanster where they were granted permission from app submitters)
    zethaaron likes this.
    02-07-12 09:34 PM
    If you read the agreement Handster has their developers sign, it effectively gives them fairly unlimited rights, for the duration of the agreement, to distribute/promote the apps on behalf of the developers. Lots of fine print in their, but for some developers who just want to write code and make a bit of money (or maybe a lot? i have no idea), it may be a great idea.

In any case, converting these apps and uploading them seems totally within the terms of those agreements, so it's surely above-board. (IANAL)
    KermEd likes this.
    02-07-12 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD