I have heard many people mention this app as it can supposedly stream video files off a NAS.

But where does one find this mythical application? A search in AppWorld brings up no such application.
    11-10-12 12:47 PM
    It needs to be sideloaded. It can be downloaded here- Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market You might also try Ghost Commander in app world. I know it will allow you stream video located on your PC, I'm not really sure about NAS.
    Zildjian71 and bungaboy like this.
    11-10-12 12:57 PM
    And I must add that it adds function to my Playbook. I think those who refuse to sideload are missing out. Without Kindle and now ES, my PB would be much less useful to me.
    11-10-12 02:16 PM
    It needs to be sideloaded. It can be downloaded here- Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market You might also try Ghost Commander in app world. I know it will allow you stream video located on your PC, I'm not really sure about NAS.
    I cant be doing with sideloading. Unless its in the AppWorld I dont want to know.

I have Ghost Commander and it lists and sees NAS but cant stream from them.

I dont know what it is with the folks that make all the file manager apps on Playbook, they just dont seem to know anything about hooking up to NAS or multimedia server hardware. I dont want to hook up to my PC, thats why I and anyone else with sense has a low power NAS to store all their media on.

Hopeless.
    11-10-12 05:14 PM
    It's unfortunate for yourself that your unwilling to sideload ES File Explorer, because it streams video from my network shares beautifully.
    therealjoeblow likes this.
    11-10-12 05:55 PM
    It's unfortunate for yourself that your unwilling to sideload ES File Explorer, because it streams video from my network shares beautifully.
    Yes but I think we should be encouraging more native apps than sidestepping the issue with sideloading.
    11-10-12 06:02 PM
    Yes but I think we should be encouraging more native apps than sidestepping the issue with sideloading.
    The PB OS doesn't provide the necessary APIs or services to allow native apps to connect to SMB shares, like your NAS. By contrast, all versions of Android provide this support natively, and this includes the PB's Android runtime environment. Hence why an Android app, like ESFE, can access SMB shares whereas a highly regarded native solution, like Files & Folders, cannot. At least this is how it was explained to me by the author of F&F. This is also why native apps like LAN File Explorer use a PC hosted service to access SMB shares.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-10-12 06:16 PM
    So....someone needs to provide/build them to make it work?

At least get Twonky working?

Kind of a glaring omission really.
    11-10-12 06:22 PM

Sideloading is quite easy. The only problem is that you don't have access to a PC or Mac.
    11-10-12 07:34 PM
    Someone did provide them...RIM, thing is you will have to wait for BlackBerry10 to land on the PlayBook to take advantage of this

11-10-12 08:55 PM
    Twonky (version 6.0.31) works without any problem on my PB, streams pics, audio and video from my NAS using the HTML5 browser interface, which also allows full control of both Twonky and my NAS other functions (such as torrents, printer-server etc).
    Who needs native Apps, just bookmarked it on my homescreen, voila...

The other, flash based interface of Twonky streams pics and audio on the PB, but not the video's, give a warning on missing video-player etc.
    11-11-12 02:29 AM
    Sure, but until then, we can sideload apps that do the job. In addition, I bought Kalemsoft Media Player from app world and it streams everything in the library of my NAS.
    Keep your options open.
    11-11-12 04:40 AM
    Someone did provide them...RIM, thing is you will have to wait for BlackBerry10 to land on the PlayBook to take advantage of this
    I seem to keep hearing that BB10 will have so much in it that I reckon we'll only have a few Gb of space left on our 64Gb Playbooks.

I reserve the right to be disappointed as is usual.
    therealjoeblow likes this.
    11-11-12 05:35 AM
    It would be nice if the developers would come up with the equivalent to ES File Explorer but maybe you shoul look at an app called Streaming Now in AppWorld.
    It works with your PC but is not a free app if that is a constraint.
    11-11-12 11:11 AM
    Didn't you say you have Ghost Commander installed? You are aware that it is a converted Android app, right? And that it is therefore absolutely no different to a sideloaded Android app? "sideloading" is just the method of install, as an alternative to App World. Both methods allow installing both native apps and converted Android apps, and in both cases it is simply stupid to refuse to use a functional Android app where no native alternative exists.
    11-11-12 11:43 AM
    I know its an android port, and its not that great like a lot of the ports, hence why I would prefer some better quality native apps.

Hint....I'd even pay say �5+ for a quality native app.

As for other apps mentioned I dont want to stream via a PC. Why would I do that when I have a NAS?
    11-11-12 12:06 PM
    Sure, but until then, we can sideload apps that do the job. In addition, I bought Kalemsoft Media Player from app world and it streams everything in the library of my NAS.
    Keep your options open.
    May I ask how you hooked it up to your NAS? Direct or once again via a PC?
    11-11-12 12:10 PM
    surprised e s file explorer isn't in the app world
    11-11-12 09:10 PM
    Hey guys this is my first post.

I have a question about the ES or video playing in general.

I am familiar with ES as i have it on my sony google tv and it has its own player. I just installed it on my PB and i can access my network but it tells me "sorry no application available" when I try tp play videos. Im assuming i need a default player that can handle the video files? I thought the PB would have one but i cant seem to make it work. What are you guys that are using ES using for video player?

I would like to be able to play .mpg, .avi, and .mkv.
    11-12-12 01:32 PM
    Yeah its not exactly a slick joined up experience is it.

I now have about five filemanager apps installed and they all fail in some way when it comes to media.
    11-12-12 03:47 PM

I am familiar with ES as i have it on my sony google tv and it has its own player. I just installed it on my PB and i can access my network but it tells me "sorry no application available" when I try tp play videos. Im assuming i need a default player that can handle the video files? I thought the PB would have one but i cant seem to make it work. What are you guys that are using ES using for video player?

What version of ES do you have? ES has its own integrated media player and should play most if not all formats supported by the PB. That being said, I'm not sure that the PB supports mpg (at least all iterations of it) but it should play avi and mkv (with aac audio codecs). Try transferring one of the videos on your network to your PB and see if the stock Videos player will open them. If not, then the ES media player also won't.
    11-12-12 04:26 PM

In ESFE, long press on the media file, choose Open As, then Video and finally ES Media Player. Works for most media file types.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-13-12 01:26 AM
    Thanks thats the answer i was looking for. The long press open as works and that was how I assumed ES would work.

Thanks so much!
    11-13-12 10:10 PM
    May I ask how you hooked it up to your NAS? Direct or once again via a PC?
    Running it through wifi...installed the desktop streaming software on the NAS...running like a champ!
    11-14-12 12:13 AM
    Thanks thats the answer i was looking for. The long press open as works and that was how I assumed ES would work.

Thanks so much!
    No problem. Glad I could help! :-)

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-12 01:19 AM
53 123