After a few hours of searching, tweaking, and lots of different methods I finally figured out how to side load Android apps on my PlayBook from my MacBook. Goodness, I never thought using a Mac would be that complicated, lol. Anyways, I side loaded the Kindle app, and I was wanting to use the ePub files I had already side loaded on my PlayBook for my BookReader app .. However, the Kindle app didn't find them.

So I tried to sync via wifi all of the ePub files I have into the "Misc -> Android -> Kindle" directory .. then checked the Kindle app again, and still no ePub files. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I doing something wrong? I'd rather read these books on the Kindle app, but I can't seem to figure out how to acces my ePub files from it ... thanks in advance.
    02-25-12 12:44 AM
    I believe you can only read books purchased from kindle on the kindle apps.
    I don't use it for that reason.

There are some decent ebook readers available, though.
    02-25-12 01:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure you can't read ePub files with the Kindle app, because the kindle device doesn't support them either. You can read books that are not from amazon through kindle, but they just can't be ePub files. If you want to read ePub files, I think you'd be better off getting the Book Reader from the App World, which is a great reader for only 0.99.
    Last edited by ahsomsid; 02-25-12 at 01:34 AM.
    02-25-12 01:31 AM
    Ah OK, thanks... Yeah I have the Book Reader app, I just personally don't like how it bookmarks versus Kindle or Nook. Is there a Nook app available for side loading? If so, would that support ePub? Thanks again.
    02-25-12 01:38 AM
    Kindle's use .mobi files only, not epub. Try converting them with the free program (not sure theres a Mac version though) called Caliber. That still may not work but its worth a try...
    jonmark and Hawkeberry like this.
    02-25-12 01:59 AM
    Kindle's use .mobi files only, not epub. Try converting them with the free program (not sure theres a Mac version though) called Caliber. That still may not work but its worth a try...
    I already had the Calibre program on my Mac because when I previously owned a Nook Color, I converted all of the books from PDF format to ePub format ... So that helped me with the know-how of converting them again. I tried just one book, and converted it to mobi like you suggested - side loaded it to the "Misc > Android > Kindle" directory and voila! It worked! Thanks a bunch!
    walkerjjj3 likes this.
    02-25-12 02:23 AM
    I have moved both mobi and prc files to the kindle folder on the pb and those files worked.

I would have to guess that any books you add (not using kindle store/archive) even if the right format would need to be stripped of drm. Kindle books are using coded for each individual device and I have no idea how the Kindle-android app deals with encryption????
    02-25-12 10:37 AM
    After a few hours of searching, tweaking, and lots of different methods I finally figured out how to side load Android apps on my PlayBook from my MacBook. Goodness, I never thought using a Mac would be that complicated, lol. Anyways, I side loaded the Kindle app, and I was wanting to use the ePub files I had already side loaded on my PlayBook for my BookReader app .. However, the Kindle app didn't find them.
    I have got playepub from AppWorld @$2. It works

Daniel
    02-25-12 12:29 PM
    Thanks, like many others I thought the Kindle app only worked for bought books from the amazon site. I dragged my mobi files to the directory you indicated and it worked. I was just going to uninstall the app too.
    02-28-12 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD