Both the aMail and Searching for Humans applications are seemingly being held up on approval for AppWorld. Since RIM is touting their "soon upcoming" entries for these functions, am I the only the that feel like they are s.c.rew.ing both their developer base AND user base by not getting these into circulation?

Also, a bit curious. Seems that Crackberry the site, and even forum mods have distanced themselves from these questions (via absence from the questioning threads).

Will this thread maintain? Will it mysteriously disappear or be "closed"?

UPDATE: I never believed for a minute that my statement(s) above would occur. Crackberry is my site of choice because those things don't happen except in rare, unusual and usually appropriate circumstances. But I did know that it might(probably would) generate some interaction. OP

Remains to be seen.

What's your opinion?
    Last edited by dkingsf; 05-14-11 at 02:41 PM.
    05-14-11 08:49 AM
    Also, a bit curious. Seems that Crackberry the site, and even forum mods have distanced themselves from these questions (via absence from the questioning threads).

Will this thread maintain? Will it mysteriously disappear or be "closed"?

Remains to be seen.

What's your opinion?
    I'm confused, I don't see how the 2 things relate. What do us moderators have to do with RIMs app approval process?
    05-14-11 09:21 AM
    As much as i like my PlayBook i do think it must be pretty embarrassing for RIM that they could only release a device 3/4 (4/5 at the most) finished, so it doesnt supprise me they would hold this app up.
    I heard the PlayBook is selling well so maybe they see that as vindication that their half arsed approach is acceptable.

On the other hand the app selection is pretty poor so you'd think they would get it straight out....but who knows...this is RIM after all, their company motto should be: 'Succeeding inspite of ourselves!'

Damn my addiction to these things
    05-14-11 09:28 AM
    I'm confused, I don't see how the 2 things relate. What do us moderators have to do with RIMs app approval process?
    Its only obvious if you actually wear your tin foil hat - then you'll clearly see the obvious link between RIM's app approval process and you mods that clearly are working for the "the man" and trying to keep good apps down.
    05-14-11 09:34 AM
    Nothing really, it's not an accusation only an observation, and perhaps a mistaken one.

Just curious as to why Crackberry hasn't been questioning why approvals for these apps seem to be taking much longer than "normal".

Why, for example has aFlex's aVNC app been approved but the aMail app still being held up, even after he's worked out multiple updates? aMail, I believe was submitted before aVNC or at least they were submitted pretty close in time frame.

Just wanting to see if anyone else thinks that these types of apps are being held up in AppWorld pending RIMs efforts like I do. Just wondering why more pressure isn't brought to bear by not just Crackberry, but other BB sites as well that are supposed to be a user advocate source, IMO.

I would just like an answer, but I would like RIMs answer on it even if it's just "It's our product and we can do whatever we want".
    05-14-11 10:28 AM
    Then perhaps you should email or phone RIM.
    05-14-11 11:00 AM
    Then perhaps you should email or phone RIM.
    I have. Their response is, No Response. I would expect that regardless of whether suspicions are correct.

RIM isn't going to respond to my inquiries only. They might if suspicions and inquiries were abundant.
    05-14-11 11:38 AM
    Just curious as to why Crackberry hasn't been questioning why approvals for these apps seem to be taking much longer than "normal".

Just wondering why more pressure isn't brought to bear by not just Crackberry, but other BB sites as well that are supposed to be a user advocate source, IMO.
    CrackBerry is a community driven site. If the community wishes to voice their concerns, they're freely able to do so (as you are obviously already doing). However I fail to see where you conclude the CrackBerry name, hosts, or moderators, have an obligation or expectation to champion your, or any, cause.

I'm sure you're passionate about your opinion, but there are others who see it differently. Like myself; I look at the issue with aMail awaiting approval, and after observing and contemplating on the circumstances surrounding it, I find the current status perfectly understandable.
    05-14-11 12:09 PM
    If I was looking for agreement only I could start this thread on any Apple site and probably get 99.9% agreement about any topic that could be construed as questioning RIM specifically or BB products in general.

I appreciate your opinion that you disagree.
    05-14-11 01:03 PM
    I have. Their response is, No Response. I would expect that regardless of whether suspicions are correct.

RIM isn't going to respond to my inquiries only. They might if suspicions and inquiries were abundant.
    RIM is never going to respond to somebody about how far any app is through submission process unless your that developer, its kinda simple when ya think about it.
    05-14-11 01:24 PM
    RIM is never going to respond to somebody about how far any app is through submission process unless your that developer, its kinda simple when ya think about it.
    My question to RIM was not about any specific app(s). My question to them was why fart apps and other crapps get quick approval and applications that would fill a void left in the original release seem to be delayed. I did mention email, calendar and PIM items as an example. Perhaps I should have let them "guess" about what I referring to?

Here is a direct quote from aFlex from a thread regarding his application.

My apologies for not making it clear Tim. For yahoo aMail can make a connection, but the service seems to be somewhat sporadic as we are connecting so that any yahoo user could use it. The yahoo connector is being held until we have worked through these points and improved the service provided.

The 18 days or so reference is referring to the duration aMail has been waiting in the queue for approval. We would have thought that this app would have been approved by now and we are trying to find the reason behind the delay by talking with blackberry. We have not had aMail denied and received no communication from blackberry as to the delay reason. I appreciate your patience.

Here is a developer who has put in time and effort to improve the Playbook experience. Again, he's had an application approved already THAT DOES NOT APPEAR TO COMPETE WITH something that RIM left out and is now trying to incorporate. Both apps look to be super. Well designed, elegant, functional. In addition, this developer is active in making changes, updates, bug fixes in timely manner. So why the delay? IMO, because RIM announced an email client at BBW after this client was submitted for approval, and per the release information will be available "around June".

So disagree if you want, but I can fathom no other reason that this particular app, and possibly others like it, would be continually delayed without even corresponding with the developer.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 05-14-11 at 01:47 PM.
    05-14-11 01:33 PM
    My question to RIM was not about any specific app(s). My question to them was why fart apps and other crapps get quick approval and applications that would fill a void left in the original release seem to be delayed. I did mention email, calendar and PIM items as an example. Perhaps I should have let them "guess" about what I referring to?
    ok, so i have to stress `seem to be delayed` is simply your perception.

lets say rim emailed you back (again, they wont about apps because unless your the developer of a particular app asking on it, then it probably breaches developer privacy) and said `certain applications that transmit user generated data need to be tested more rigorously to ensure that users data is not at risk of being comprimised by security issues` would you still say the same thing?

there ARE pim apps already in appworld, so i think you need to chill a bit on where you suggest things happen.

in my honest opinion, and feel free to flame me for this if you wish, this whole episode is a simple show of why you shouldnt advertise something until you know it will be up for sale. people berated RIM for doing this with the playbook, so i think the situation really does show for itself, i have several products awaiting approval in appworld, but i dont ever mention them until they get approved (or are on sale in mobihand) as things happen in life.
    05-14-11 01:53 PM
    ok, so i have to stress `seem to be delayed` is simply your perception.

lets say rim emailed you back (again, they wont about apps because unless your the developer of a particular app asking on it, then it probably breaches developer privacy) and said `certain applications that transmit user generated data need to be tested more rigorously to ensure that users data is not at risk of being comprimised by security issues` would you still say the same thing?

there ARE pim apps already in appworld, so i think you need to chill a bit on where you suggest things happen.

in my honest opinion, and feel free to flame me for this if you wish, this whole episode is a simple show of why you shouldnt advertise something until you know it will be up for sale. people berated RIM for doing this with the playbook, so i think the situation really does show for itself, i have several products awaiting approval in appworld, but i dont ever mention them until they get approved (or are on sale in mobihand) as things happen in life.
    I have no intention of flaming you or anyone. I truly appreciate the feedback and your opinion as that was the reason for beginning the thread.

As to your supposition, don't you believe a VNC application (already approved) would/could also transmit sensitive user data and would need to be tested AT LEAST as well (read thorough/long) as an email application?

I suppose you could say that "seem to be delayed" is my perception, however as you can see that appears to be the developers perception, as well as others in other threads and on other sites.

The question is not mine alone. But conspicuous absence from discussions on this topic by shall we say, certain groups, is also a curiosity to me.

So sorry if you don't like my audacity.
    05-14-11 02:11 PM
    i dont mind you making that suggestion, but as someone has already pointed out, maybe they simply dont wish to comment?

like if i didnt comment here would i be conspicuous by absence, or plain bored of over sensationalized threads? my point is simple, if you dont have an actual solid factual answer (which lets be honest none of us have) then we are merely guessing and thats kinda pointless.

as for the length of time for a vnc style app vs an email app i dont know, my game took 3 weeks and has a simple data connection to a mysql server simply for scoring. the only thing id add, and again im totally guessing and could very easily be wrong or right. if you have an email app that can access lets say 5 different protocols, then wouldnt that extend the test time by 5? like i say, i dont know, but neither does anyone else.
    05-14-11 02:22 PM
    i dont mind you making that suggestion, but as someone has already pointed out, maybe they simply dont wish to comment?

like if i didnt comment here would i be conspicuous by absence, or plain bored of over sensationalized threads? my point is simple, if you dont have an actual solid factual answer (which lets be honest none of us have) then we are merely guessing and thats kinda pointless.

as for the length of time for a vnc style app vs an email app i dont know, my game took 3 weeks and has a simple data connection to a mysql server simply for scoring. the only thing id add, and again im totally guessing and could very easily be wrong or right. if you have an email app that can access lets say 5 different protocols, then wouldnt that extend the test time by 5? like i say, i dont know, but neither does anyone else.
    Points taken and accepted. Don't agree with them, but agree they are valid points for discussion. This thread has now progressed to where I had hoped it would. If you have taken the thread as sensationalized, that's by inference and not implication.

And I'm actually the opposite of you. If I don't like a particular comment, opinion or point of view I'm in their face, lol. Even though sometimes some people might wish me conspiculously absent.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 05-14-11 at 02:53 PM.
    05-14-11 02:35 PM

let's be clear here. when people are talking about PIM apps they're talking about apps with at least minimal synchronization to exchange, or lotus notes, or google calendar/contacts. there are NO such apps in app world. none. these would be expected to be out pretty quickly, especially in with the current void in this functionality. its an area where a developer can make a lot of money. there's currently a gaping hole that needs to be filled.

in future posts and threads let's make sure we're clear and say PIM apps with sync functionality so we don't keep getting this reply saying they're there. THEY ARE NOT THERE.
    05-14-11 04:54 PM
    let's be clear here. when people are talking about PIM apps they're talking about apps with at least minimal synchronization to exchange, or lotus notes, or google calendar/contacts. there are NO such apps in app world. none. these would be expected to be out pretty quickly, especially in with the current void in this functionality. its an area where a developer can make a lot of money. there's currently a gaping hole that needs to be filled.

in future posts and threads let's make sure we're clear and say PIM apps with sync functionality so we don't keep getting this reply saying they're there. THEY ARE NOT THERE.
    um i think your wrong, you seen tungle.me is out? yup

calendar sync to outlook, google calendar, apple iCal, entourage for mac, lotus notes, yahoo and windows live. (taken from app description)

so by your own definition it DOES exist, so as you say, lets make sure we know whats there and what syncs before posting stuff
    05-14-11 05:31 PM

calendar sync to outlook, google calendar, apple iCal, entourage for mac, lotus notes, yahoo and windows live. (taken from app description)

so by your own definition it DOES exist, so as you say, lets make sure we know whats there and what syncs before posting stuff
    Tungle me looks pretty good. I was traveling yesterday but try to check for email/calendar a couple times a day. That one snuck by me. If it works as advertised, then yes, there is now ONE app in this category in App World. To quote Homer Simpson, woohoo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 05:44 PM
    There's at least a half-dozen possible technical, security and procedural issues that I could speculate on before I moved to the conspiratorial ones, but maybe that's just me...

Too many unknown variables to be able to draw a conclusion at this point.
    05-14-11 05:52 PM

Just as a sneak peak we have an over the air sync application in our pipeline with developers working on it, which is fast responsive and a great useful app. We are unsure of our release plans for this application as we are still waiting for aMail approval. But it is in final stages.
    05-14-11 06:54 PM
    Tungle me looks pretty good. I was traveling yesterday but try to check for email/calendar a couple times a day. That one snuck by me. If it works as advertised, then yes, there is now ONE app in this category in App World. To quote Homer Simpson, woohoo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ok, i take it back. tungle me app is useless. you can only view a synced calendar. can't add or edit appointments/meetings, unless i'm missing something.

so still not a single useful syncing PIM app. NONE.
    05-15-11 12:05 AM
    Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny! It could just be that apps of a certain category, like those that involve email or video conferencing as contrasted with stand-alone games, require a more thorough vetting and take longer time. Maybe there is no Aiflex/RIM/Crackberry conspiracy.

aMail may not turn out to be the answer to all our prayers, but it looks promising enough that I will buy it the minute I'm aware its available. Maybe the delay and the attention it has caused will boost sales for Aiflex. I like what I see and I like the developer's responsiveness and attitude, so I hope they are rewarded for getting in the cue so early. Aiflex has kept us informed as to approval status, perhaps to a greater extent than RIM feels ideal.

As for Crackberry, part of this place's success is their ability to sometimes walk a wobbling tightrope between credible, honest criticism of RIM and being a part of and a secondary beneficiary of RIM's fortunes. If Crackberry was populated by cynical, sour, muckraking RIM trashers, only Droid, Apple, WebOS and Window phone fans would come here to gloat and taunt (and there are plenty of sites like that out there already). What makes this place is the astute, insider-informed analysis, commentary and reviews. It must be hard for Crackberry to maintain this delicate balance, so I don't agree with the posts here that urge that the site be used as as a club against RIM.
    thedark722 likes this.
    05-15-11 12:38 AM
    "It must be hard for Crackberry to maintain this delicate balance, so I don't agree with the posts here that urge that the site be used as as a club against RIM. "

I agree, while at the same time I do think this issue with certain applications
    not showing up is worth a look into and those findings presented.

CB did have the Pb recall on the front page within a short period of time.

I wonder if they would put on the website a "stringers" report if good and solid.

Tim
    05-15-11 04:40 AM
    "It must be hard for Crackberry to maintain this delicate balance, so I don't agree with the posts here that urge that the site be used as as a club against RIM. "

I agree, while at the same time I do think this issue with certain applications
    not showing up is worth a look into and those findings presented.

CB did have the Pb recall on the front page within a short period of time.

I wonder if they would put on the website a "stringers" report if good and solid.

Tim
    I agree also. I'm not naive enough to believe that Crackberry, BBLeaks or any other Blackberry support forum can be, or should be use as a "club". These are businesses and offer their services to forum users for free. The money they make is through other paid avenues rather than user subscription. And biting the manufacturers hand that is your bread and butter would be stupid business practice. I've never read anything posted by Kevin or any of the mods that would lead me to believe they are stupid.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I a birther. Perhaps those assuming that the process for these particular apps take longer because of some "due diligence" requirement will ring true in the end.

If RIM, however, releases it's own apps of these types before the approval and availability for those submitted weeks ago, then MY suspicions will not be belayed.
    05-16-11 06:49 AM

Ummmm. Doesn't RIM own tungle.me? Seems to be more to my point than yours.
    05-16-11 06:52 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD