Is there a good email application, calendar and task manager app for the Playbook yet??

I am very new to RIM as I come from Webos and still have the EVO so I don't know much about these forums. I just picked up the PB today but I don't see the apps I need for my business.

Also is there an application that I can use to communicate my Evo via bluetooth to get my text messages that come to my handset?

Thanks,
    04-20-11 08:46 PM
    Oh wow..this think is almost useless too me..
    04-20-11 09:30 PM
    Oh wow..this think is almost useless too me..
    Terribly sorry. But you wouldn't want to replace your Evo
    04-20-11 09:37 PM
    Heck no..I love my Evo..I picked the PB up because HP is so slow with the touchpad and the Pre3. I love the potential pairing and SMS, Email and connectivity potential of the two. My business is growing so I need something ASAP..Doesn't seem like the PB is going to cut it. Im sure is heck not getting the garbage and simple Honeycomb or Ipad2 craps.. Geez i need a tablet
    04-20-11 09:49 PM
    I guess real developers are just starting their apps for playbook. Most of current available apps developed with simulator were for experimental purpose for developers.
    04-20-11 10:14 PM
    Heck no..I love my Evo..I picked the PB up because HP is so slow with the touchpad and the Pre3. I love the potential pairing and SMS, Email and connectivity potential of the two. My business is growing so I need something ASAP..Doesn't seem like the PB is going to cut it. Im sure is heck not getting the garbage and simple Honeycomb or Ipad2 craps.. Geez i need a tablet
    Early Bird native email client for the BlackBerry PlayBook | Pepper.pk

hopefully soon
    ceroberts75 likes this.
    04-20-11 10:16 PM
    Even for Apple, only after 2-3 years some developers can give real good apps,
    when I bought 2nd generation iPod touch, still most apps were not good enough.

But Playbook would be fast to have good ones as the industry already have many experienced mobile developers.
    04-20-11 10:19 PM
    Hey thanks I will try that..What about a good productivity with task and calander?
    04-20-11 10:24 PM
    Even for Apple, only after 2-3 years some developers can give real good apps,
    when I bought 2nd generation iPod touch, still most apps were not good enough.

But Playbook would be fast to have good ones as the industry already have many experienced mobile developers.
    I know mobile developers are pretty fast now so I may be patient with this..Everything else is excellent but I need a full productivity agent for 540 bucks. Not just an awesome browser.
    04-20-11 10:25 PM
    Hi. Just to let you know we have developed a multi account email app for the playbook called aMail. It is currently awaiting approval to the app store so we will keep you posted. There is a crackberry aMail thread setup with screenshots and more information. It supports IMAP and POP3 with GMail, Yahoo and Hotmail accounts quick setup features.
    04-21-11 09:01 AM
    Just checked the site for Early-Bird and it says the app has been submitted to App world and is awaiting approval. Hopefully it's available soon.
    04-21-11 10:21 AM

Early Bird will be POP only. AiFlex will be POP and IMAP. Most people will want Imap I think.
    ceroberts75 likes this.
    04-21-11 07:30 PM
    whats the difference^?
    04-21-11 08:21 PM
    whats the difference^?
    The difference between POP3 and IMAP?

IMAP doesn't move email messages to your device as it were. The emails remain on the server and you sync with them. IMAP means that your mailbox is kept the same across all devices that connect to it. POP3 on the other hand downloads all emails from inbox and then processes them locally. POP3 does not provide a syncing mechanism or foldering like IMAP. Both can be accessed securely via TLS/SSL.

GMail actually supports both IMAP and POP3 however within aMail's GMail quick setup IMAP is used and it works really well in simulator tests. A better description of the difference can be found here

As for if IMAP or POP3 are supported by your mail provider. POP3 is more widely used and most email providers will support this. It depends on who your provider is.
    AutoPilot2020 likes this.
    04-21-11 08:48 PM
    I wish they had the BlackBerry Java "player" a little higher on their priority list. While I'd love to port LogicMail to the PlayBook, there's absolutely no way I'd have enough time to completely rewrite it from scratch in Adobe Air.

And in case anyone didn't know, the BlackBerry phone itself doesn't come with an E-Mail client either. I know this gets gasps of disbelief, after which I have to explain the difference between an "E-Mail client that speaks IMAP/POP/SMTP" and a "Service-based Push E-Mail solution" (i.e. BIS/BES) which isn't always what people want. (but is the majority of the time)
    04-22-11 07:43 AM
    i would easily pay for this based on how it already looks...much like outlook.

hope it syncs with outlook for contacts and also need a calendar function.
    04-22-11 11:49 AM
    Early Bird will be POP only. AiFlex will be POP and IMAP. Most people will want Imap I think.
    OH....ouch...yes, it would need to be IMAP...dang..maybe early bird will do both eventually.

where can we get info on AiFlex?
    04-22-11 11:51 AM
    AiFlex

found it.

hmph....

seems that early bird is much prettier, but the amail is more functional!

amail looks like apple product...booo.
    Last edited by ceroberts75; 04-22-11 at 11:55 AM.
    04-22-11 11:53 AM
    I think both of them look ugly. While they may function really great none of them look very professional.

AiFlex if you want me to help designing a kick *** UI for it send me a PM. If the app is free I'll do it for free. If it's paid I'm sure we'll work something out.
    04-22-11 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD