saw this new game on app world. anyone tried it before? any comments? made with air, marmalade of native sdk? heres the link to appworld : Buy Elemental Wars - Download Elemental Wars - Buy Games from BlackBerry App World

video preview from youtube here.
    Last edited by rsxsniper; 10-05-11 at 08:02 AM.
    10-05-11 07:59 AM
    Game is made with Marmalade SDK.

P.S. We are releasing all our games for Playbook, more will follow soon.
    Last edited by swgames; 10-05-11 at 04:33 PM.
    rjshahan likes this.
    10-05-11 04:30 PM
    saw this new game on app world. anyone tried it before? any comments? made with air, marmalade of native sdk? heres the link to appworld : Buy Elemental Wars - Download Elemental Wars - Buy Games from BlackBerry App World

video preview from youtube here.
    I took the plunge and bought it. Mini review...

Elemental Wars is an interesting concept. You pick spells to cast in a turn-based 1 v 1 strategy game. Carefully monitoring how much mana you have is critical to survival, as is having the right defenses up when your opponent attacks.

The graphics are very nice and run smoothly. The spell casting system is a bit clunky. If you don't draw the symbol perfectly, it will either throw up an error message or just cast a spell you didn't intend. I can't tell you how many times I accidently cast water wall instead of stone wall. I swear I drew a square with four corners, but I guess I didn't pause long enough at each corner for it to register. This is frustrating, and it makes an already fairly slow game even slower. Maybe with time I'll get better.

This game is hard. Either that, or I'm just really bad at it. Just launching attacks and responding to your opponents attacks will get you killed. To survive, you have to have a plan and execute the plan so that it leaves your opponent no way to respond effectively. I never liked chess, so this aspect of the game doesn't appeal to me. But, the challenge is nice. Too many PlayBook games are too easy. This is not one of them.

I've had a couple crashes in the hour or so I've spent playing. If you try to re-cast a spell while the previous error is still being swept away, the game will crash. I also had one crash upon hitting "Single Player" from the main menu.

I also don't know how upgrades are handled. The tutorial didn't cover how to improve your character. I got new spells after each of the three battles I won, but my opponents seem to have more mana rather than new spells. More mana would be helpful.

Overall, I give it 3/5. Pros are unique concept, graphics, challenge. Cons are infrequent crashes, slow gameplay, and clunky spell casting.
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 10-06-11 at 07:52 AM.
    10-06-11 07:42 AM
    thanks for the review! ive seen reviews for this game for ipad n they said its hard too...so your're not alone. haha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 07:49 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for posting info on crashes, we'll fix it as soon as possible. You can try our Clash of Mages which is much easier to play. It also has both single player campaign and online battles, and you also have to destroy opponent's tower, but gameplay is completelly different.

Here you can find a bit outdated video:
    Gallery - Clash of Mages

but it shows the idea
    10-06-11 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD