meant to post it here... ebuddy is out in the appworld for free. converted android app... now i gots messaging on my playbook!
    dimm0k likes this.
    01-11-12 11:58 PM
    Finally!! About time there were some apps apart from IM Pro+!!
    01-12-12 07:37 AM
    I was happy... Till I saw "converted android app".

I am really starting to think this app player was a bad idea...
    01-12-12 08:38 AM
    How is it a bad idea?

Make the app player so we can run Android apps. What was it to be used for if it wasn't to be a simple tool for developers to port their apps over for us PB users?

Surely to me this makes it a good idea.
    01-12-12 08:41 AM
    Any initial reviews on this app? Nice to see a free version of a messaging app. I've held off on IM+ only because I barely use msn anymore and didn't wanna "pay" to use it...
    01-12-12 09:14 AM
    Is this only available if u have OS2.0?? Cuz I don't see it in my appworld??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-12 09:27 AM
    Droid ports are only available to OS2 PBs...

No droid runtime in the offical releases till Febuary sometime when OS2 is fully released.
    01-12-12 09:32 AM
    How is it a bad idea?

Make the app player so we can run Android apps. What was it to be used for if it wasn't to be a simple tool for developers to port their apps over for us PB users?

Surely to me this makes it a good idea.
    Two points:

- Why should I bother porting apps to the PB (and future BB devices) if I can just patch them through the Player? Devs that already do Android will most likely never release native versions of apps. Devs getting started will want to target as many people as possible, again, building android apps and then just drop them in the Player. Less native apps, less quality apps;

- If you pay for an app, you hope you can use it in as many devices as possible. If we were getting the Android Market this wouldn't be much of an issue. Buy the app in the AM, use it on any Android device you have +PB. But we're getting it from AppWorld. If you happen to have a, say, Galaxy S, you'll need to buy the app again.

I liked the idea of the Android Player... I am scared of the implementation RIM is using.
    MTL likes this.
    01-12-12 09:47 AM
    Two points:

- Why should I bother porting apps to the PB (and future BB devices) if I can just patch them through the Player? Devs that already do Android will most likely never release native versions of apps. Devs getting started will want to target as many people as possible, again, building android apps and then just drop them in the Player. Less native apps, less quality apps;

- If you pay for an app, you hope you can use it in as many devices as possible. If we were getting the Android Market this wouldn't be much of an issue. Buy the app in the AM, use it on any Android device you have +PB. But we're getting it from AppWorld. If you happen to have a, say, Galaxy S, you'll need to buy the app again.

I liked the idea of the Android Player... I am scared of the implementation RIM is using.
    ya well if u stick to the platform that ur buying the app on u dont loose the rights to use it.

whats your point?

buy app on pb where else do u except its usable on?
    01-12-12 11:18 AM
    Two points:

Yeah beacause Devs were already rushing to make PlayBook native apps before the Android Player was announced

True, Android apps may not be as good as native versions but for all we know it could be that or nothing at all, devs dont believe in the PlayBook, RIM is offering them a hassle free way of getting their apps on Appworld, its IMO a very clever way of closing the app gap on the PB, its not ideal but we got to start somewhere.

PB doesnt get sales because of apps, devs dont make apps because of sales, if the apps get there (Android or native) hopefully we should see more sales, wich in theory it should lead to more quallity apps, specially if RIM is able to provide a good and comprehensive SDK.
    01-12-12 12:08 PM
    Been looking for a chat client for the PB!
    01-12-12 12:26 PM
    Sure guys, whatever you say. I do hope I am wrong, yet I am not the only one to be concerned about this.
    MTL likes this.
    01-12-12 12:28 PM
    Does it stay active in the background or time out?

Whatever on android apps and devs. If they care how paying users view their apps they may port to start with and then improve or go native if there is a need. I guess win8 is in the same boat then.
    01-12-12 12:39 PM
    In an ideal world there would be plenty of developers cranking out apps for the PB, but it's not. Other than IM+ there's no other chat app for the PB and there's no telling when there would be another if PB didn't have Android access. It's been almost a year already and the important apps that make a device useful are barely trickling in. Android access is a win for users, RIM, developers...
    01-12-12 12:41 PM
    Does it stay active in the background or time out?

Whatever on android apps and devs. If they care how paying users view their apps they may port to start with and then improve or go native if there is a need. I guess win8 is in the same boat then.
    Except for the fact Win8 already has all the software there. Android apps are just a gimmik. It will be able to run the same software you have on Win7.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll take desktop software over apps any day.
    01-12-12 05:02 PM
    Except for the fact Win8 already has all the software there. Android apps are just a gimmik. It will be able to run the same software you have on Win7.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll take desktop software over apps any day.
    Yes if it works well with a touch interface. BTW I know some apps are just shortcuts or links but doesn't app on mobile = software on computers?
    01-12-12 05:06 PM
    Yes if it works well with a touch interface. BTW I know some apps are just shortcuts or links but doesn't app on mobile = software on computers?
    Let me make it clearer: Adobe Photoshop will run on W8. MS Project will run on W8. Adobe Reader with all the functions will run on W8, not a washed down mobile app.

Mobile apps are to pc software for all platforms but W8, where pc software will be available alongside mobile apps.
    01-28-12 12:56 PM
    I just wish you had the option to open apps in new windows vs the app switcher
    01-28-12 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD