What ever happened to the email client "Early Bird" from Pepper.pk? It was also supposed to be coming soon, but never materialized. At one point it was "submitted and awaiting approval" for App World, but then pepper.pk de-listed it from their website and quit talking about it.

Anyone know what happened?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-11 11:51 AM
    Maybe they realized it wasn't worth finishing because of what's going on with AMail and the coming RIM email client?

I wouldn't be surprised.
    05-22-11 12:12 PM
    Maybe they realized it wasn't worth finishing because of what's going on with AMail and the coming RIM email client?

I wouldn't be surprised.
    Well, both aMail and Early Bird were submitted at roughly the same time.

05-22-11 12:23 PM
    On their website the early bird is still in approval process. Like Amail unfortunatly.

http://www.pepper.pk/early-bird/

Last edited by Drashak; 05-22-11 at 03:22 PM.
    05-22-11 03:19 PM
    yes, and they told aiflex it was overlooked and a mistake on thier part....and it still has been about a week since that.

so maybe they just gave up on it.
    05-22-11 04:56 PM
    yes, and they told aiflex it was overlooked and a mistake on thier part....and it still has been about a week since that.

so maybe they just gave up on it.
    Which, I'm sure, is RIMs corporate strategy. Give away a free Playbook to some devs and then scr** em out of a chance to get in early to make some decent money for their efforts.

Well, except for the fartapps and crapps who get approved ASAP.
    05-22-11 07:43 PM
    Hi Everybody,

Thank you for keeping the interest alive! Unfortunately the app is still in review and we're waiting for RIM to start the review process.

Since being submitted a host of other features have been implemented and all we can do now is wait to post an update as soon as the current one is approved. All of our users will get a free update with a ton of new features.

You will just have to wait and find out what those are.

Feature suggestions are always encouraged.

regards,
    Pepper.pk
    05-26-11 07:26 AM
    What REALLY needs to happen is to have developers come up with a way of installing their apps and bypassing RIM.
    05-26-11 12:26 PM
    There is a way. I just dont think they want to deal with supporting users on how to install .bar files and manually distribute, theyd have to process their own orders, less exposure than Appworld, etc.

05-26-11 12:33 PM
    Hi Everybody,

Thank you for keeping the interest alive! Unfortunately the app is still in review and we're waiting for RIM to start the review process.

Since being submitted a host of other features have been implemented and all we can do now is wait to post an update as soon as the current one is approved. All of our users will get a free update with a ton of new features.

You will just have to wait and find out what those are.

Feature suggestions are always encouraged.

regards,
    Pepper.pk
    "We are still waiting for RIM to start the review process."

Start. And if there have been all of these enhancements added while he app has been gathering dust on the app review sidetrack, doesn't make at least minimal sense for RIM to review the most up to date version, rather than the original build which likely would have had more bugs anyway?
    05-26-11 12:38 PM
    I think RIM, if they haven't already should be paying these devs for having their e-mail clients on hold just so they can make sure theres is the first one we see.
    05-26-11 12:41 PM
    Let me re-phrase...... Developers need to come together and come up with a way to package their apps so that they install easily for end users. When Microsoft tried to hamstring other software developers DOJ and the European courts went after them tooth and nail. Personally if it can or could be proven that RIM is similarly preventing A. users from having functional apps and B. companies from selling their products, then maybe someone should email RIM the PDF transcripts of the Microsoft hearings.

In my OPINION what has happened with both these email apps puts RIM on the level of pond scum for preventing customers from using the device to its full potential AND hamstringing 3rd party developers. GREAT way to woo future developers. If RIM were the size and of the same stature as Apple, Google or MS this would be a PR nightmare. Instead given the small (and shrinking?) market share no one other than those of us who are still using RIM products even notice.
    05-26-11 01:38 PM
    In my OPINION what has happened with both these email apps puts RIM on the level of pond scum for preventing customers from using the device to its full potential AND hamstringing 3rd party developers. GREAT way to woo future developers. If RIM were the size and of the same stature as Apple, Google or MS this would be a PR nightmare. Instead given the small (and shrinking?) market share no one other than those of us who are still using RIM products even notice.
    What are you talking about...

Their market share is still gigantic compared to WP7 and still comparable to both android and IOS...
    05-26-11 01:43 PM
    OnTopic, did you forget how restrictive Apple's AppStore is? It was up in the air if Opera's browser was even going to be approved.

05-26-11 01:48 PM
    "We are still waiting for RIM to start the review process."

Start. And if there have been all of these enhancements added while he app has been gathering dust on the app review sidetrack, doesn't make at least minimal sense for RIM to review the most up to date version, rather than the original build which likely would have had more bugs anyway?
    Well if we submit the app update at this time we will have to start at the end of the queue causing more delays. You can be rest assured that the update will be out as soon as RIM approves it.
    05-26-11 02:00 PM
    hmmm ok ???
    05-26-11 02:03 PM
    Android Is Destroying Everyone, Especially RIM -- iPhone Dead In Water

Comscore: Android Gaining U.S. Market Share At RIM�s Expense | mocoNews

RIM Guides Lower, Stock Sensitive to Market Share Decline � Note of the Day

I mean seriously, gigantic???

Nope I didn't forget that at all. It was one of the driving reasons that I bought a PB. I can't stand Apple. I had hopped that RIM would have been different. As of right now, at best they (Apple and RIM) equally view their users poorly.
    05-26-11 02:07 PM
    All of a sudden RIM is evil because 2 email Apps are being delayed Approval?

We are only getting one side of the story here and even that one side is a little hush on the details.

I wouldn't say RIM reached Apple evil level... Yet.

05-26-11 02:36 PM
    Well if we submit the app update at this time we will have to start at the end of the queue causing more delays. You can be rest assured that the update will be out as soon as RIM approves it.
    Has RIM given any hint as to why this and the other mail app seem to be taking way longer than apps?
    05-26-11 03:13 PM
    I mean seriously, gigantic???

Nope I didn't forget that at all. It was one of the driving reasons that I bought a PB. I can't stand Apple. I had hopped that RIM would have been different. As of right now, at best they (Apple and RIM) equally view their users poorly.
    M$ would pay billions to switch places with RIM right now in terms of smartphone marketshare.... Don't kid yourself.

If you honestly think 20+% of the ENTIRE US marketshare is peanuts you know nothing at all...

And you might want to look at world marketshare as well.
    05-26-11 03:35 PM
    M$ would pay billions to switch places with RIM right now in terms of smartphone marketshare.... Don't kid yourself.

If you honestly think 20+% of the ENTIRE US marketshare is peanuts you know nothing at all...

And you might want to look at world marketshare as well.

do you know about what is happening with ms and nokia (the worlds largest handset mfg and market share of os)?

started with elop, then took over the executive management in uUS with more ms execs, ditching symbian/maemo/meego and taking on wphone. now ms of jockying to purchase the nokia mobile division.

this is roughly 40+% of the worlds market share for handset devices.

so, you were right, ms would pay billions for that marketshare....they did, only a larger percentage!
    05-26-11 03:52 PM
    Right, but what does that have to do with the original point that RIMM's market share is tiny? That is a joke...

Also they have to re-capture marketshare with WP7, it isn't automatically assumed from symbian (meego never captured a large audience to begin with). It sure doesn't seem like they plan on re-vitalizing symbian, so symbian to WP7 is not a guarantee with existing marketshare.
    05-26-11 03:55 PM
    Right, but what does that have to do with the original point that RIMM's market share is tiny? That is a joke...

Also they have to re-capture marketshare with WP7, it isn't automatically assumed from symbian (meego never captured a large audience to begin with). It sure doesn't seem like they plan on re-vitalizing symbian, so symbian to WP7 is not a guarantee with existing marketshare.
    you are correct...rim has a great percentage, AND, wp will have to recoup mindshare from symbian/etc. however ms is doing exactly as you suggested they would like to have which is mindshare.

but now, this thread is way off. my appologies.

we need email on this pb. hope early bird gets the worm soon!
    05-26-11 04:05 PM
    I believe I said small not tiny...... and shrinking....... and to put a finer point on it.... if RIM doesn't pull their head out of the sand (I wanted to say somewhere else but I'll play nice) they're all but doomed to #3 and a race to the bottom.

RIM is supposed to bring out a whole slate of phones this summer. Lets see how that turns out. Any problems with supply or carriers and the writing is on the wall.
    05-26-11 04:08 PM
    you are correct...rim has a great percentage, AND, wp will have to recoup mindshare from symbian/etc. however ms is doing exactly as you suggested they would like to have which is mindshare.
    Yep, typical M$ way, buy your way into markets, either through giving your merchandise away at a huge loss for years, or just buying other companies to gain it.
    05-26-11 04:26 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD