If you had downloaded the original Advanced Camera app for the PlayBook and have been getting "free updates" then you know what I'm about to say.

When this app first appeared on App World it was free, and there was some indication that it would be free for a limited time so get it while you can.

Since the app has been updated anyone who originally downloaded it and has been faithfully updating will find that their once full functioning app has now become a 5 time limited use trial app with no explanation or pre-warning!

I'm sure some of you will come to this guy's defense, but please hear me out.

This is deceptive and nefarious at the very least. If you are going to change an app from free to paid for, yes please do but communicate it. As a gesture of good faith to your first loyal adopters and down-loaders include them into the full version instead of kicking them to the curb and then demanding that they pay or else!

This has been a common practice on app world where a developer sees that their app is getting high download counts and favorable reviews they get greedy and demand payment. What the ****?

Make multiple versions, even discontinue development and updates of the previous version but don't cut us off so that we can no longer use it.

I've read the reviews of this app and I'm not the only one complaining.

This practice needs to be nixed by RIM as it creates bad relationships between users and developers and continues to tarnish the reputation of the app store.
    tinker2000 likes this.
    01-25-13 07:41 PM
    So you go into Costco and someone is handing out free samples. All of a sudden, the next time you go to the store, the free sample lady is gone, and you have to buy the same product as you tried free the week before.
    Just because you're one of the first people to try something should in no way suggest you're entitled to get it free indefinitely.
    01-25-13 08:02 PM
    Well, it's not the most elegant user experience... Here's my story:

I paid $20 for the Pacemaker app because it has value and I want the developers to thrive and do more stuff for me. I hope to pay them for this stuff. Now the app is $10. Oh well. I still will pay full price for their next app.

So should you. Great development deserves to be paid so that development continues. Don't you see the connection? The app that you love can't be sustained without payment from 'somewhere'.... the dude developer or company that did the work are like you and me: eat. Sleep. Clothed. Etc. You can't pay bills with good reviews.

Besides, there will always be hotshot young programmers who can churn out great apps because they don't have big bills to pay. Be patient and download the next great free camera app. Problem solved.
    KermEd and SifJar like this.
    01-25-13 08:11 PM
    So you go into Costco and someone is handing out free samples. All of a sudden, the next time you go to the store, the free sample lady is gone, and you have to buy the same product as you tried free the week before.
    Just because you're one of the first people to try something should in no way suggest you're entitled to get it free indefinitely.
    i think the point is he updated the app but there was no clear sign that once he did that it became a trial use app. If he stayed on the previous version he could use that still and just not update.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    01-25-13 08:15 PM
    Actually, I'm with the OP on this one. If the dev distributed a free, full version of his app, and then used an update to change that licensed user to a trial user, then I would agree that is unethical.

Were it me, I would have announced the end of support for the original product, and then distribute the "new" version under a completely new title and give all users the chance to trial it without changing anything in the original install.
    Zildjian71 and anon(1852343) like this.
    01-25-13 08:45 PM
    Sort of agree but not the same thing. When you go into cosco you are aware that it is a one time thing. A lot of apps are labeled free trial. So again you know up front. It's the ones that portray it free the later on you get charged or dropped.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    01-25-13 09:04 PM
    I feel it sort of like this. You offer the app for free then it's a gift for whoever downloads it. You want to charge for it then upload another version that you're going to charge new customers for and stop supporting the free app; but customers that downloaded it for free still have access to that precious version. If the developer wants to make it for free and have the app contain items that are chargeable - great just let us know (App World is pretty good for letting you know). Or just put a price on it from the get-go and don't swindle us out something you originally gave for free.. As kids we used to call that Indian-giving
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 01-25-13 at 10:04 PM.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    01-25-13 09:31 PM
    You're out of context here. If you said, Costco gave me a fully functioning TV and a subscription to firmware updates then after getting an update then said I can turn the TV on 5 more times then I have to go back and pay the full price for the TV to turn it on the 6th time, then you are in context. Because that is what this app developer is doing.

Using me to evaluate and perfect the app in exchange for getting it for free is a fair deal, taking it back and charging for it is not.
    01-25-13 09:52 PM
    OP, you've got a point, but I do wish that you used another app as an example. I tend to think that the developer's failure to alert you as the the 5 use limitation in his description was an oversight, rather than an intentional scheme. The developer is one guy who seems to spend his time on developing his app rather than updating his apps description in app world (I don't think that the description has changed since the app was released even though it has been through several updates). Further, it is a great app, and well worth the dollar that he is charging for the full version. It has a camera burst function, a camera timer function, and a video zoom function. There are camera burst apps in app world going for a dollar that have fewer burst functions than Advanced Camera. There are dollar camera timer apps in app world that also have fewer timer .functions than Advanced Camera. As for a Video zoom function, as far as I know, good luck finding anything in app world that can do this. I, for one, had been looking for this function for some time- even searching for android apps that I could convert and sideload, with no luck. I think the dollar that I paid to unlock the limitation on this function in the original trial version was a bargain.

Lastly, while the new trial seemingly has a 5 use limitation, this is not entirely true. If you use up your 5 uses, then uninstall and reinstall the app, guess what? You get 5 more uses. Uninstall and reinstall again, 5 more.
    BB_Bmore and TheScionicMan like this.
    01-25-13 10:54 PM
    Pacoman03 I agree this a killer app, but its not an isolated case but rather a common occurrence to the point of being a practice.

I'm making a point in hopes of improving the user experience in the app store with a standard practice that is beneficial to everyone.
    01-25-13 11:37 PM
    What the discussion really comes down to is developers who are better at developing than at marketing and communication. We seem to expect a guy working nights and weekends on app development AFTER going to school all day, working all day, or looking for work all day to be business MBAs with all the marketing savvy of a Fortune 500 giant! What they really are is just a guy with some creativity, a 12 pack of Red Bull and some solid geek skills (just kidding devs). That is we so often use the terminology "support" these devs. How many of the "IT" "software engineer" "computer guy" types would YOU hire as marketing managers to take YOUR product to the masses? Or for that matter, as even marketing or customer service representatives?

I know that many of our great apps and games are from larger "teams" or companies, but so many of the apps we love are just from a guy sitting in front of computer at his apartment. Let's give THOSE guys some leeway on some of this stuff, whaddaya say?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 12:00 AM
    Further thoughts. So maybe the RIM developers team can spend some additional effort on "How To" business, marketing, customer service, etc. type resources for independent and small dev teams. Or maybe some of the bigger, more accomplished devs could police their peers via mentoring, blogs, etc where they get independent devs to follow best practices, show them the ropes, etc. RIM (Alec S) and successful devs surely have the lessons learned to make this happen.
    01-26-13 12:09 AM
    I'm apologizing for the people who downloaded the free/trial version. I forgot to change the description. I'm a developer and not a business marketing but I'm still learning. The trial version will be removed from the market and will come back with a different concept in a couple of months (hopefully better than the current one). 1 last update is coming for the trial version in 1 or 2 days that will remove the restart limitation.
    01-26-13 02:06 AM
    Wait so your complaining that you got something for free, never gave anything back, were given time to decide on the purchase during a trial changeover.... and you love the app so much you... Well refuse to pay what - 99cents? Glad I'm not part of your cheap family.

Do you want your money back? I will paypal you 0 dollars lol on behalf of the poor developer. You don't like your free app then delete it. The button is also avail on appworld.

Rich peoples kids from the Y generation, I tell you . You, as a BlackBerry user, actually makes the BB community a little bit worse by your involvement.

End Rant. Glad to know there is a good camera app out though. And although I joke a bit harsh - its good to see someone carrying an opinion, even if I disagree (its so much better for the world than people without one)

Sent from my BlackBerry Veedu using Tapatalk 3
    SifJar and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-26-13 02:35 AM
    @op. If you are happy with this app and find it useful just support the developer and stop complaining about $1.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 02:37 AM
    Is getting an app for free with a warning that it will expire misleading? Did you enjoy the app for free? Were you cheated when you paid nothing?

I feel cheated too when I lose free UNTIL I realize that losing free is losing nothing.

Would you have preferred a two week free offer, or a 10 times use free offer?
    01-26-13 07:11 AM
    If you pay for a computer, you pay for upgrades. But you are saying that if you get a free computer, you expect it to work forever.?

Granted free was misleading, but who got hurt? The developer who worked for free. So why develop free. Whoops, now I am the one that loses!
    01-26-13 07:25 AM
    I agree with the OP. However how does the developer ensure everyone receives and or reads the notice of the change? Email? In app messages?

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 07:51 AM
    It's a dollar FFS and its an app worth much more than that.
    01-26-13 08:03 AM
    I believe some of the earlier post in this thread got the OP point correct.
    If an app is offered as free then it should remain free (developer has the right to charge for updates)
    Second option is developer offers a free trial with free updates during that trial period, after trial has ended the user is aware he will need to pay to keep using the app. If he likes it he will gladly pay for the app, if not he can delete it.
    Third is pay for the app from the start and hope it gives you the results you are expecting.

I can understand the OP frustrations since he believed the app was free and was willing to accept that he would not always be getting free upgrades. But it appears that when he did what appeared to be a free upgrade it renewed his app to a paid version with no option or warning so that he could refuse the update.
    That being said it looks like the developer of the app has posted his awareness of the oversight and will know in the future what he needs to do .
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    01-26-13 10:14 AM
    This app sounds awesome. Going to buy it now...
    01-26-13 12:25 PM
    This app sounds awesome. Going to buy it now...
    It is pretty awesome...and only $0.99!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 12:29 PM
    It is pretty awesome...and only $0.99!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    Yes this app is awesome and I hope he gets a bazillion paid downloads he deserves it.

My point is not to hurt any developer but to create a change in practice that is more friendly to everyone.
    01-26-13 01:50 PM
    Even though I'm paying �1 for it, which is more than you guys, it's worth every penny. Stop complaining, the developer should be commended and I hope he makes a shed load of money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 06:33 PM
    I agree - if anyone can complain its dangerousfen! Lol.

I got an email from RIM today saying they are trying to rectify some of those currency descrepencies. So I think the British equiv is now .75.

Sent from my BlackBerry Veedu using Tapatalk 3
    01-26-13 08:46 PM
32 12