I want to use the built in barcode scanner on blackberry world but its not working. Do i have to enable wifi? also i dont have data plan. Is that why? Is there an app which has an offline qr scanner?
    08-23-13 06:48 AM
    What is it your looking to do? To download anything you will need a data connection of some sort. Either data plan or wifi.
    08-23-13 07:33 AM
    The barcode scanner on BlackBerry World will only recognise links to BBWorld apps. You can't use it to scan QR codes you find at a bus stop or the mall.

And yes, you do need a data connection to use a barcode scanner, unless you just want the raw data from it (which in most cases is useless info - a web link surrounded by tags).
    08-23-13 07:36 AM
    The barcode scanner on BlackBerry World will only recognise links to BBWorld apps. You can't use it to scan QR codes you find at a bus stop or the mall.

And yes, you do need a data connection to use a barcode scanner, unless you just want the raw data from it (which in most cases is useless info - a web link surrounded by tags).
    im ok with the raw data. is there a barcode scanner app? Since i realized you cant use the scanner of bb world with non-bb world barcodes.
    752se likes this.
    08-23-13 07:52 AM
    Both the barcode scanner and qr scanner apps in app world can scan qr codes without data or wifi. Of course, to open the links you need an internet connection. Contrary to what was stated earlier, neither app is limited to scanning BB World links. For your purpose, the QR Scanner app is probably better since it will retain a history of scanned links so you can scan a code while offline and then use the history to open this link when you're online.

Does the barcode scanner need a data plan or wifi?-img_20130564.jpg
    08-23-13 08:39 AM
    Contrary to what was stated earlier, neither app is limited to scanning BB World links.
    Read the thread again and let it sink in...

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-23-13 03:14 PM
    Read the thread again and let it sink in...

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    OK.. I read the thread, and let it sink in. I stand by what I said, since your statement that "You can't use it to scan QR codes you find at a bus stop or the mall" is incorrect.
    08-23-13 04:31 PM
    Open BlackBerry World, swipe down from the top, select "Scan barcode". Now go scan a bus stop QR code.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-23-13 04:59 PM
    I now see the misunderstanding. You guys are talking about a function of app world on the BB10 phones, not the Playbook. I don't know how I could have made that mistake, other than the fact that this thread is in the Playbook forum. There is no "built in" QR scanner associated with Blackberry World on the Playbook, but there are QR scanner apps available for the Playbook in app world. Pardon my ignorance for assuming that posts in the Playbook forum are Playbook related. I'm now off to post some Playbook related questions in the BB10 forum.
    08-23-13 05:13 PM
    I now see the misunderstanding. You guys are talking about a function of app world on the BB10 phones, not the Playbook. I don't know how I could have made that mistake, other than the fact that this thread is in the Playbook forum. There is no "built in" QR scanner associated with Blackberry World on the Playbook, but there are QR scanner apps available for the Playbook in app world. Pardon my ignorance for assuming that posts in the Playbook forum are Playbook related. I'm now off to post some Playbook related questions in the BB10 forum.
    ROFL!
    08-23-13 05:17 PM
    Touche. I may have made a bad assumption based on the mention of "built-in" and "data plan". I apologise for the snark.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-23-13 07:00 PM
    Open BlackBerry World, swipe down from the top, select "Scan barcode". Now go scan a bus stop QR code.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I confirm that, surprisingly, this works well
    However, may be better with a dedicated app which would store codes scanned, generate some, etc, such as the one included as a standard on BB10.

I agree that you will need data or wifi connection to yet such an app on PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 01:59 AM
    Guys. I use barcode scanner in my work, too. I always go to that site for tools. I think it's perfect barcode resource. Just share it with you. You may find useful info there, like barcode scanner on blackberry world
    10-15-13 01:21 AM