I don't have a PlayBook at the moment and wondered if one of you with one can test to see if the new Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader (read.amazon.com) works on the PlayBook? It states it works with Chrome, Safari, and Safari on the iPad, but it would be great if it worked on the PlayBook as it would give us access to Kindle content since there is no app yet.
    Ittles likes this.
    08-10-11 02:47 AM
    Page came up, but couldn't get it to respond. Wouldn't even scroll.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 04:52 AM
    It works with some issues so far.

You can login and it displays your books, but they are not perfectly aligned to the space available on the playbook. As far as reading the books that works fine in portrait mode, but there doesn't seem to be any way to scroll in landscape mode so you just get half a page and then it is cut off, but realistically most people would stick with portrait anyway for reading.

An added bonus for those people who use another amazon than the .com one such as the UK site is that your books still show up even though you are logging into the .com site.
    08-10-11 04:52 AM
    That might be another landscape issue as there is a button you need to click to dismiss a window, flick it to portrait and you can do that.
    08-10-11 04:57 AM
    That might be another landscape issue as there is a button you need to click to dismiss a window, flick it to portrait and you can do that.
    Yup. Portrait mode is the way to go. The sample book I tried worked well!
    08-10-11 05:38 AM
    How do do you load it to the playbook? I only get a blank screen.
    08-10-11 05:48 AM
    This does work quite well in portrait mode. Landscape seems to be a no go. This is not an issue for me because I think that portrait on the playbook is ideal for reading.

How are you supposed to use this off line?
    08-10-11 05:54 AM
    Got it to work well in portrait mode. The bookcase UI is a bit smushed together on the playbook, but the pages of the book render well.

Has anyone tried it in the bridge browser? Anyone pin a book for offline reading?
    08-10-11 06:29 AM
    I noticed when I set things up for offline reading that the apps says something like "saving app for offline use" But, I can't figure out how to access the app offline. I suspect that there is a way to do it but that the process so far is geared around iPad.

I can download a book and turn off my internet connection and then read just fine. The issue is getting in when there is no internet connection.
    08-10-11 06:37 AM
    Can you go in via the cached page in browser history? I don't have my PB with me or I'd try this now.

08-10-11 07:13 AM
    Holding 2 fingers on the screen when reading a book makes the menu appears.
    Works very well !
    08-10-11 07:56 AM

duh, should've flipped the darn thing.
    08-10-11 08:45 AM
    Can you go in via the cached page in browser history? I don't have my PB with me or I'd try this now.

No. Not as far as I can tell.
    08-10-11 08:46 AM
    How do do you load it to the playbook? I only get a blank screen.
    I noticed it will display a blank screen if you are set to 'private' browsing mode on the playbook
    zelz12 and blackmoe like this.
    08-10-11 08:49 AM
    Worked in portrait mode. Also worded better for some reason after i closed browser and opened it a second time. ?
    08-10-11 09:17 AM
    This is huge!! I just wish they could have optimised it for the Playbook. Hopefully, more and more apps will migrate over to HTML5 in the future. Rimpire strikes back!
    08-10-11 09:28 AM
    According to ComputerWorld, Amazon is working on a version of the Cloud reader for the Playbook.
    Amazon launches free Kindle Cloud Reader app for Web browsers - Computerworld
    08-10-11 09:47 AM
    Been able to read a book offline once book is download. First have to be connected to web to start the reader once reader is open you can drop from wifi and read. No buttons or options though.
    08-10-11 10:26 AM
    Finding the store from the button to be a little flaky on the blackberry playbook. First took a bit to get to it then second doesn always seem to search. Also went you get to store i havent found a way to get back to library alas and am stuck in store site.

Update: It appears the store search feature crashes something after a bit. When that happens the back button to library wont work. Have to close browser then reopen the site and the back button will work.
    Last edited by jjjahn; 08-10-11 at 10:46 AM.
    08-10-11 10:37 AM
    Finding the store from the button to be a little flaky on the blackberry playbook. First took a bit to get to it then second doesn always seem to search. Also went you get to store i havent found a way to get back to library alas and am stuck in store site.
    The store is the problem. Taps only work inconsistently (but they do work). I would do my shopping on the normal site and then use the cloud player to read. The player itself works fine.
    08-10-11 10:42 AM
    This is pretty big news, and I suspect it's the "app" that we've been told to "stay tuned" for. That is, I think there won't be a QNX app. I don't have any inside information on that; it's just a hunch, based on what Amazon is trying to achieve with this cloud reader: true platform independence.

The main drawback I see now, apart from the issue of not being able to start the app offline, is the creation of new highlighting and annotation is not yet supported.
    08-10-11 11:12 AM
    what Amazon is trying to achieve with this cloud reader: true platform independence.
    IMO, this is more about getting around the in-app sales rules on iOS. Although it will work for some other platforms, it seems to be designed for iOS users to buy books through their browser, not the app which Apple gets a cut of.
    08-10-11 11:23 AM
    Has anyone figured out where the downloaded books are kept at? I havent found it yet, did find how to removed then. Their was 3 options if you hold down on the book. Remove, Open & Pin. I pined one but it just adds a stick pin underneath book that i can see.
    08-10-11 11:31 AM
    I'm not sure that I like the mosaic of the trashy freebies showing as the "splashscreen!"

I am seeing an awful lot of spinning arrows/wheels: "saving app for offline reading....." Too many books perhaps.
    08-10-11 11:35 AM
    Not sure how it downloads it but it appears that if you sign out then resign in you have to download and pin the books again. Want to see how it works on chrome but will have to wait till i am at home with laptop so can kill wifi and see.
    08-10-11 12:45 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD