Any developer can develop this app f they have access to SkypeKit, so it is still possible. ****, even RIM could develop and release the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

If this is possible RIM should do this now!
    07-20-11 09:20 PM
    If all goes well, the IM+ app has Skype...
    07-21-11 09:39 AM
    But I think its safe to say many of us here wanting Skype was the Wifi video chat or atleast audio only chat feature. I have never used IM+, but it looks like their "Premium" services are VERY pricy.
    07-21-11 12:09 PM
    Unfortunately, ShapeServices, the IM+ developer is being stonewalled, as are other developers of other email and messaging apps. This probably won't be seen until RIM releases their own.

We should not hold our breath.
    07-21-11 12:13 PM
    Lets face facts... there just aren't enough units in peoples' hands to make development remotely attractive to the LARGE players in the tablet-sphere.
    The units in hand don't reveal the entire picture. For example if the company that I work for can't get a skype app we will go alternative. Skype then loses us on the desktop as well. The fall-out is a couple of grand a month of skype credit, or more, that they will lose.

I have already been asked why we are not looking at QQ as my Chinese counter part thinks that QQ is working on a web client. QQ has 600 million users and is very large in Asia. It also has a really good remote client built in.
    QQ won't fit our needs but the point is where we were happy we are now looking for alternatives. (Free Video Chat, Download)

Edit, there is a web-based and it runs on the playbook, however it is Chinese. (http://web2.qq.com/)
    Last edited by pinkert11; 07-21-11 at 12:31 PM.
    07-21-11 12:29 PM
    I just do not get it... why RIM does not develop a BBM messanger for PC and (why not?) Mac?? I do not remember the exact number of people using worldwide BBM but it was something REALLY impressing. Probably not the same number as skype but nevertheless HUGE.

With a BB software working on PCs would be really easy to adopt video chat on the playbook (that has to be integrated with BBM.. and i believe tjey are already doing that) and would spread even more the BBM use...

just saying...
    How do you know they are not?
    07-21-11 03:25 PM
    I received an email back from Neil, it seems to be a canned answer:

"Hi >>>>

We currently have no plans for skype on playbook. Our focus right now is on high volume platforms such as iOS/Android for mobile. If playbook gets traction we will certainly look to develop an app."

I am going to send follow-up emails explaining that he could lose 2k by losing my company as a customer in Skype credits per month.
    javieraua likes this.
    07-22-11 07:54 AM
    Probably mentioned before, but once the official android player comes, we will have skype.
    07-22-11 08:30 AM
    Unfortunately, ShapeServices, the IM+ developer is being stonewalled, as are other developers of other email and messaging apps. This probably won't be seen until RIM releases their own.

We should not hold our breath.
    Actually, I believe you're not up on the latest with regard to IM+ status. SHAPE did finally get a response from RIM that IM+ was missing a EULA this past week and approval for IM+ in AppWorld is hoped for in the coming week or two. SHAPE posted some info on this in the last few days.

RIM definitely did a pathetic job in communicating with SHAPE and I truly hope they get their act together with regards to communicating effectively with developers awaiting AppWorld approval, but it does not appear they were purposely holding up IM+ for any nefarious reason. Never attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, as the old saying goes..
    07-22-11 08:51 AM
    Actually, I believe you're not up on the latest with regard to IM+ status. SHAPE did finally get a response from RIM that IM+ was missing a EULA this past week and approval for IM+ in AppWorld is hoped for in the coming week or two. SHAPE posted some info on this in the last few days.

RIM definitely did a pathetic job in communicating with SHAPE and I truly hope they get their act together with regards to communicating effectively with developers awaiting AppWorld approval, but it does not appear they were purposely holding up IM+ for any nefarious reason. Never attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, as the old saying goes..
    LOL OK so RIM is just incompetent. That's muuuch better, maybe I should run out and buy a couple more Playbooks while I'm still waiting for "Enterprise Ready" apps?. ROFL.
    07-22-11 11:47 AM
    That's muuuch better, I should run out
    and play in traffic!
    07-22-11 02:37 PM
    Well, this is the first of the contenders to go after VOIP market on the playbook.

Ephone from Comwave App allows you to make and receive phone calls using your PlayBook™ from anywhere you want! Additionally, Comwave allows consumers to make Video Calls to other ePhone users as well at no additional charge.

Looks like a little company from Canada is poised to start taking a bite out of Skype's customers.

Would someone from Skype please address this? I don't want to leave Skype, but if you continue to ignore the playbook, I may have to.
    08-04-11 10:22 AM
    Well, this is the first of the contenders to go after VOIP market on the playbook.

Ephone from Comwave App allows you to make and receive phone calls using your PlayBook� from anywhere you want! Additionally, Comwave allows consumers to make Video Calls to other ePhone users as well at no additional charge.

Looks like a little company from Canada is poised to start taking a bite out of Skype's customers.

Would someone from Skype please address this? I don't want to leave Skype, but if you continue to ignore the playbook, I may have to.
    08-04-11 10:23 AM
    Dear Mr. Bates:

Rumor has it that your company has no intention on developing an application that would service BlackBerry PlayBook users because you don't feel that the PlayBook has a big enough base at this point. If find that incredibly difficult to believe. While I don't know, in terms of cost, how much your company needs to spend to develop such an app, I'm certain that offering it would be of great interest to a very large portion of PlayBook users.

Even if there were only 500,000 PlayBook owners at this point (which there is much more), and only 30% of those users downloaded and used the app, you're looking at an IMMEDIATE jump of 150,000 Skype users with much more to come. That has to be worth the development cost.

If the rumor is true, I must say that I've never seen a business model where a significant consumer base is simply ignored or even, dare I say, rejected.

I know I'm only one person who has no consequence to your company's standing or success but I think my note to you has merit and is worth considering.

Thank you kindly.

/// Potential Skype user
    08-04-11 06:56 PM
    Show the demand for Skype...

Give a KUDOS/Thumbs up for the very first post here, and be sure to leave a comment:

Playbook, please - Skype Support Network

LONG LIVE THE BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK APPLICATION INITIATIVE !!
    08-04-11 07:17 PM
    Sidenote, let's put it this way...it's not just Skype.

6237 Votes for Dropbox since March, and still no official word.

https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/4753...native-version

LONG LIVE THE BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK APPLICATION INITIATIVE !!
    08-04-11 07:19 PM
    My suggestion is that those with a PB and a current Skype account simple cancel their subscription. Skype is worred about enough of an increase, perhaps they will be worried about a significant decrease! I dumped Skype a couple of years ago for the very reason that they had it exclusive to one market on Smartphones. Comwave (way to go Comwave ) has listened where Skype has ignored. Once my trial has run out, I will be buying the Comwave service for sure.

Perhaps Skype is too big to even care about loosing current customers. If so, they certainly aren't a company I'm interested in doing business with.

Mike
    08-05-11 01:36 AM
    My suggestion is that those with a PB and a current Skype account simple cancel their subscription. Skype is worred about enough of an increase, perhaps they will be worried about a significant decrease! I dumped Skype a couple of years ago for the very reason that they had it exclusive to one market on Smartphones. Comwave (way to go Comwave ) has listened where Skype has ignored. Once my trial has run out, I will be buying the Comwave service for sure.

Perhaps Skype is too big to even care about loosing current customers. If so, they certainly aren't a company I'm interested in doing business with.

Mike
    Skype must believe that myspace is so big that it is a sure bet.
    08-05-11 05:57 AM
    I emailed Skype about version on PB and I got this

I think Skype is coming to PB soon.

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.

We understand your concerns regarding your Blackberry Playbook; we will gladly assist you with the needed information.

Kindly note that there is no official Skype for Blackberry Playbook yet.

We do not have information regarding it's release date for the time being. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We will forward your request to our engineers for future releases consideration.

Implementing changes and creating new features can take time, which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future.

Please be patient while we work to make Skype even better

Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards

Lucy S.
    Skype Customer Service

Happy Holidays.
    01-04-12 01:00 PM
    make a petition
    01-04-12 01:38 PM
    I just sent an email to both Neil Stevens and Tony Bates. I will let u know if they reply.
    01-04-12 04:06 PM
    I just sent an email to both Neil Stevens and Tony Bates. I will let u know if they reply.
    http://www.imo.im/

easy!
    01-25-12 11:04 AM
    Hi, I am organizing a mass email campaign, that on February 1st, we will all email the Skype CEO and the Skype Vice President, with the subject line "Skype for the Blackberry Playbook". Here is the link to the thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...itment-691875/

Please leave your negativity at the door. Post on the thread if you intend to take part, and feel free to read the longer explanation and use the basic email provided rather than composing your own, if that is easier for you. Only post if you're with us, we do not need any posts telling us it is a moronic endeavor.

Please know that I am not attempting to spam, but only posting on threads where it seems appropriate, and like the users monitoring said thread may be interested.
    01-25-12 08:32 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD