So i always send skype E-mails regarding skype on the blackberry playbook and this is what i always get back in response:

"We understand your concerns regarding the availability of Skype on your device. We are willing to explain this for you.

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into it.

However, we are still uncertain with the availability of the Skype version on that device. As implementing changes and creating new features can take time, which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future."

So then i mailed Neil Stevens (Vice President and General Manager, Products & Marketing at Skype) and this is what his response was :

"We currently have no plans for skype on playbook. Our focus right now is on high volume platforms such as iOS/Android for mobile. If playbook gets traction we will certainly look to develop an app.

Regards Neil"

We have two 1080p HD cameras on the playbook and we don't even have a good video chat app. RIM please contact Skype and ask them to make a Skype app for the playbook (and maybe for os7 devices too)

Maybe if teamcrackberry E-mails skype they might see how many people actually want skype on the Playbook.

Neil Stevens : [email protected]

Tony Bates (CEO) : [email protected]
    Last edited by javieraua; 07-20-11 at 03:07 PM.
    KermEd likes this.
    07-20-11 10:51 AM
    I'm not suprised at their response and quite frankly have given up hope on using Skype on the Playbook.

But I've sent a polite email to the individual indicating that there are people who are interested in Skype and encouraged him to take a look at this site to see all of the requests.
    07-20-11 10:58 AM
    You should forward this e-mail to RIM, point out that on their Playbook site they clearly implies that Skype will be an app and showed it in the mock of App World for the Playbook and ask RIM what is up. Maybe they expect to use the Android Emulator.
    07-20-11 11:02 AM
    RIM should just release their own free PC client for their video chat. It took ReelPortal a few weeks to to develop clients that worked reasonably well on the Playbook and PC. They probably won't but it would mitigate the need for Skype in the short term would work with their native video chat client which is actually pretty nice.
    javieraua, Morten and T_Touch like this.
    07-20-11 11:10 AM
    You should forward this e-mail to RIM, point out that on their Playbook site they clearly implies that Skype will be an app and showed it in the mock of App World for the Playbook and ask RIM what is up. Maybe they expect to use the Android Emulator.
    Forwarding this to RIM would be a waste of time if this was a post on Crackberry.com then they might do something But i will still try ..
    Last edited by javieraua; 07-20-11 at 12:12 PM.
    07-20-11 11:16 AM
    I am a corporate IT Manager and I just emailed via my work account:

" Neil,

I am emailing you regarding skype on the playbook. Currently the company I work for uses Skype extensively from Canada, to USA, to South America, to China and through out the middle east. Winters has been looking for a secure tablet for sometime. The playbook with its off device corporate data such as email and contacts makes a perfect fit. However, as you are aware Skype is missing, the final piece to the puzzle. I am emailing you as I would really like to see skype on the playbook, as well as other blackberry units. We currently use it on all of our Verizon based blackberries in the USA.

Please let me know if skype is planning on moving on to the best business suited tablet and timelines. I would hate to have to move to sametime, or another application as Skype works so well. "

Lets put the pressure on skype and show them the need, as well as how it crosses platform use requirements.
    07-20-11 11:35 AM
    I am a corporate IT Manager and I just emailed via my work account:

" Neil,

I am emailing you regarding skype on the playbook. Currently the company I work for uses Skype extensively from Canada, to USA, to South America, to China and through out the middle east. Winters has been looking for a secure tablet for sometime. The playbook with its off device corporate data such as email and contacts makes a perfect fit. However, as you are aware Skype is missing, the final piece to the puzzle. I am emailing you as I would really like to see skype on the playbook, as well as other blackberry units. We currently use it on all of our Verizon based blackberries in the USA.

Please let me know if skype is planning on moving on to the best business suited tablet and timelines. I would hate to have to move to sametime, or another application as Skype works so well. "

Lets put the pressure on skype and show them the need, as well as how it crosses platform use requirements.

Great..Thank you..Now we just need more people to send e-mails like this to Skype...
    07-20-11 11:41 AM
    Maybe when the android app player comes out it will allow the player to access the playbooks cameras, if that's so we could see skype soon if not maybe something will be done with the skypekit, regardless I understant skypes point of view. I love my playbook but the lack of knowledge the retailers have and the delays in native as well as submitted apps (specifically im apps) rim is hurting themselves as well as us as end users.
    For the time being I am happy with reelportal and I know the developer has submitted it to apple for approval so crossplatform video chat works with that fine for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 11:42 AM
    we just need the native video chat on the playbook to be expanded to be able to add contacts from other services such as skype. there are already cross platform chat apps. This might be a more plausible alternative.

Or RIM can fund the development of the app. if dev. expenses are covered by rim why not make the app? maybe i am over simplifying this concept...
    07-20-11 11:47 AM
    Lets face facts... there just aren't enough units in peoples' hands to make development remotely attractive to the LARGE players in the tablet-sphere. I am convinced more and more on a daily basis that the PB will an appendage and not a standalone device.

The writing is on the wall. Between the flat out LACK of apps from the major players in the market (Kindle, Skype, etc) to flat out responses like this from people in senior positions how much clearer does it have to get. At this point the ONLY hope of the PB even holding onto those who have adopted the device is some kind of Android player.
    07-20-11 11:51 AM
    Any developer can develop this app f they have access to SkypeKit, so it is still possible. ****, even RIM could develop and release the app.

07-20-11 12:25 PM
    Lets face facts... there just aren't enough units in peoples' hands to make development remotely attractive to the LARGE players in the tablet-sphere. I am convinced more and more on a daily basis that the PB will an appendage and not a standalone device.

The writing is on the wall. Between the flat out LACK of apps from the major players in the market (Kindle, Skype, etc) to flat out responses like this from people in senior positions how much clearer does it have to get. At this point the ONLY hope of the PB even holding onto those who have adopted the device is some kind of Android player.
    Unfortunately I think you are right. At 500,000 or 1M units, it is not worth Skype's time and effort at this point. I think the Skype VP stated it as clearly and honestly as you could.
    07-20-11 12:30 PM
    RIM caused this problem. With an Android player, why wait to create a application using the RIM NDK?

Management would understand when the technical individuals tell them its more reliable as the cost to maintain 1 code base instead of 2 usually sounds better.

I can see however if a competitor product shows up on the RIM device then maybe they might get themselves in gear.
    07-20-11 12:44 PM
    I just do not get it... why RIM does not develop a BBM messanger for PC and (why not?) Mac?? I do not remember the exact number of people using worldwide BBM but it was something REALLY impressing. Probably not the same number as skype but nevertheless HUGE.

With a BB software working on PCs would be really easy to adopt video chat on the playbook (that has to be integrated with BBM.. and i believe tjey are already doing that) and would spread even more the BBM use...

just saying...
    javieraua likes this.
    07-20-11 12:54 PM
    We have two 1080p HD cameras on the playbook and we don't even have a good video chat app. RIM please contact Skype and ask them to make a Skype app for the playbook (and maybe for os7 devices too)
    I think it would be nice to have Skype but I have used ReelPortal PC to PC and Playbook to PC and it is a nice easy app to use with some decent results. I would definitely categorize it as a good video chat app.
    javieraua likes this.
    07-20-11 02:19 PM
    Skype (aka Microsoft) is busy with their deal with Facebook to joinly fight against Google.
    07-20-11 02:44 PM
    Did you get a reply from Neil ?
    07-20-11 03:10 PM
    So i always send skype E-mails regarding skype on the blackberry playbook and this is what i always get back in response:

"We understand your concerns regarding the availability of Skype on your device. We are willing to explain this for you.

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into it.

However, we are still uncertain with the availability of the Skype version on that device. As implementing changes and creating new features can take time, which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future."

So then i mailed Neil Stevens (Vice President and General Manager, Products & Marketing at Skype) and this is what his response was :

"We currently have no plans for skype on playbook. Our focus right now is on high volume platforms such as iOS/Android for mobile. If playbook gets traction we will certainly look to develop an app.

Regards Neil"

Maybe if teamcrackberry E-mails skype they might see how many people actually want skype on the Playbook.

Neil Stevens : [email protected]

Tony Bates (CEO) : [email protected]
    They pretty much said this in May:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-news-613731/
    07-20-11 03:44 PM
    Maybe when the android app player comes out it will allow the player to access the playbooks cameras, if that's so we could see skype soon if not maybe something will be done with the skypekit, regardless I understant skypes point of view. I love my playbook but the lack of knowledge the retailers have and the delays in native as well as submitted apps (specifically im apps) rim is hurting themselves as well as us as end users.
    For the time being I am happy with reelportal and I know the developer has submitted it to apple for approval so crossplatform video chat works with that fine for now.

Does the Android app do video?

EDIT:
    The answer is YES!
    http://androidcommunity.com/skype-fo...lity-20110630/
    Here's hoping it will work on the PlayBook's Android player!
    Last edited by lotuslanderz; 07-20-11 at 03:55 PM.
    07-20-11 03:47 PM
    Does the Android app do video?

EDIT:
    The answer is YES!
    Skype for Android gets video chat capability | Android Community
    Here's hoping it will work on the PlayBook's Android player!

But skype still has to repackage, code sign and then submit their Skype Android app to BlackBerry App World to be approved.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-20-11 05:09 PM
    But skype still has to repackage, code sign and then submit their Skype Android app to BlackBerry App World to be approved.
    your wasting breath, noone seems to realize what the android apps have to go thru. I have tried to explain it many times
    07-20-11 06:16 PM
    True.
    But doesnt that seem "easier" than doing an NDK version until the PlayBook numbers justify the investment?

The PlayBook runs Android apps perfectly fine | Mobile Industry Review
    07-20-11 07:20 PM
    your wasting breath, noone seems to realize what the android apps have to go thru. I have tried to explain it many times
    Are you talking about this:
    "Android developers will have to repackage their apps as a "bar" file rather than in the standard Android "apk" format, but RIM will make that easy with an extension to the existing Android development kit, execs said. That doesn't necessarily involve recompiling—RIM demoed Android apps on a Playbook without access to those apps' source code. Developers will then submit their apps to BlackBerry App World for approval.

Some "service APIs" may be missing, Smith warned, although Google ads appeared to work in the Android apps I saw."

RIM Gives More Details of Android Apps on PlayBook | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Last edited by lotuslanderz; 07-20-11 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added info from link
    07-20-11 07:21 PM

Regards Neil"

this being posted by lotuslanderz just shows that the other companys out there are just laughing at RIM and dont even think they are in the tablet wars anymore.
    07-20-11 07:30 PM
    yes that is it
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    07-20-11 07:30 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD