OKay im tired of people saying that the lack of apps for the blackberry playbook is going to suck and not going to be competitive against you know who (ipad duh!). I mean seriously, do apps matter that much? Dont get me wrong i have an ipod touch and i like to play games once in a while but when it comes to it i just want a tablet that has a kick @$$ web browsing experience. Pretty much the internet is the best app anyone can use. i dont need a medical dictionary app when i have the internet to look up what the interior compartment of the ankle (feel me). To me i guess its base on the consumer but i'm pretty sure the playbook with have some great apps and if it supports Andriod apps....well its game over (but who cares).
    03-09-11 11:26 PM
    There are some apps that are meant to organize internet data into a convenient all in one place, apps for things such as SAP's app which aren't for the browser to handle, and more that people will probably mention below.
    03-09-11 11:28 PM
    So apps matter to you? ipad2>PB?
    03-09-11 11:30 PM
    So apps matter to you? ipad2>PB?
    ha, just because i like avaliability of apps doesn't mean i want an ipad over the PB. I was just saying that apps are necessary for things that are on a per-user basis. Such as the SAP inventory app. It would be dumb to make that a part of the OS, so it's an app because it's not something everyone's going to use it but necessary for some. I don't think the PlayBook needs millions of apps, but it needs enough to cover the thousands of scenarios consumers will have with having their needs met by their tablet.
    03-09-11 11:39 PM
    OKay im tired of people saying that the lack of apps for the blackberry playbook is going to suck and not going to be competitive against you know who (ipad duh!). I mean seriously, do apps matter that much? Dont get me wrong i have an ipod touch and i like to play games once in a while but when it comes to it i just want a tablet that has a kick @$$ web browsing experience. Pretty much the internet is the best app anyone can use. i dont need a medical dictionary app when i have the internet to look up what the interior compartment of the ankle (feel me). To me i guess its base on the consumer but i'm pretty sure the playbook with have some great apps and if it supports Andriod apps....well its game over (but who cares).
    The supposed awesomeness of the PlayBook browser will eliminate the need for many apps IMO.
    03-09-11 11:53 PM
    The supposed awesomeness of the PlayBook browser will eliminate the need for many apps IMO.
    Exactly, making 4,000 apps at launch meeting my needs.
    03-10-11 12:00 AM
    These customized pieces of programming that are known as apps on mobile devices are known as programs on desktops and laptops. Try substituting program for app in your question and you may answer it yourself.

Some apps are just like their larger machine cousins in that they're extensions of the OS itself, others are alternatives to something built in. Some people don't like the native browser, so they use an alternative - it still falls under the app catagory. Sure, a good browser eliminates the need for a good many apps - but if you need something that the OS or browser isn't supplying, you'll probably want an app for that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 02:40 AM
    will the browser replace some apps? sure it will....will you still need a big app base? yes you will.

apps/games can enhance any smartphone or tablet or PC/mac. from audio and video editiing to playing videos and music, those are all handled via an app for the most part. You have mapping software like google maps/nav, although i dont think this will come to the PB right way.
    03-10-11 04:41 AM
    RIM needs 250'000 apps tbh...

And before you tell me to get iPad2, I will state this clearly. I would rather hang myself with a thorny vine than use an iPad/iPhone!
    03-10-11 04:48 AM
    I think apps matter to a certain extent but I don't find it necessary to have as many as say the iPad has available. It may change when I get the PB and there's more of a reason to have "cool" apps or whatever, but up until now, I've only needed certain things which make my BB experience more efficient rather than for gaming or anything of that nature.
    03-10-11 05:47 AM
    Of course applications matter!

The PlayBook, like most other tablets, is a multi use device, not just a web browser. So a lot of business people for instance, will look for certain business related apps. People in real estate will look for real estate related apps. Finance people will want finance apps. Gamers will look for games. Social media junkies will want apps that meet their needs. And the list goes on..... I'm sure you get the gist.

I don't think comparing the PlayBook to an ipod is really reasonable, as the ipod is primarily an mp3 player.

Just my morning 2 cents!

03-10-11 07:47 AM
    Yes apps matter. If it didn't why would RIM be trying to get access to the Android market on their devices? Because apps enhance the smartphone and tablet experience. There is so much more you can do with apps than just a browser. And do it a lot faster. You bounce back and forth through completing tasks via apps than a browser. Apps are very important to a complete experience. If RIM is going to have 4000+ at launch that is very good for launch and obviously increase over time. Apps matter.
    03-10-11 08:11 AM
    iOS has over 15000 Apps?
    The Playbook has over 1 Million. (Flash)
    03-10-11 08:12 AM
    Do apps matter? Yes! Do you need over 200,000 available? Of course not! The Playbook appears to have made it much easier for developers to support in terms of SDK's and hardware. You already have what appear to be good games at delivery, so the platform is more than capable of supporting them. Some may say that games don't matter, but it is a huge market, and games usually stress hardware to the limit and the Playbook appears to be able to go toe to toe with everything out or coming out. The only thing that may be missing at delivery is native PIM functionality, but I hope that RIM has seen the negative feedback that it got from people at CES and decided to add these in at release. We'll see.

Now announce a date and pricing DAMNIT!!!!!
    03-10-11 08:12 AM
    Well you guys are absolutely right and i loved the feedback. Apps do indeed enhance the experience of the product. I just hope RIM gets some really nice business apps for all of us. I was kind of bummed out when i read this article 36 Productivity Apps for iPad, Android and BlackBerry Tablet PCs | Practical eCommerce
    RIM has the good ones here but if you look at the ipad they got some ridiculously good ones (example: square app). I agree that you don't need 1000000 apps but of RIM could make the ones that are shown to be proven winners, then having less apps is NOT a big deal.
    03-10-11 08:36 AM
    'course they matter.

But definitely quality > quantity.

And stupid things like themes, apps that take you to websites, ebooks, etc. don't count. Or I should say - shouldn't count.
    03-10-11 09:56 AM
    YES APPS are important.

There are useless apps like, fart buttons or zippo lighter which many people still finds entertaining.

There are apps that replicate websites like espn.com or facebook.com in which the contents is ported out in a form of an app. This is a waste of time, money and resources for developers.

There are apps that will help touch up on your photos, join files together and edit movies.

There are apps that will utilizes your device hardware like GPS and camera. I'm seeing lots of pretty cool apps lately using these two hardware add ons.

And finally there are games.

The first two type of apps are pointless imo but the last 3 are very useful once you discover the endless possibilities of apps.
    03-10-11 09:59 AM
    A good selection of apps is definitely important to the success of a device. The more variety available, the more users the device will appeal and be of value to. I personally don't see needing more than a few 'serious' apps, depending on what's delivered for myself (e-reader, for one), plus any decent games just for grins, but those few apps I'll want are not necessarily what everybody else will want.

But, as has been noted already, in addition to variety, quality, ease of use and UI consistency are also important. One glaring example of things to avoid: the inconsistency in how different BB apps close/exit - or don't close at all.

03-10-11 10:23 AM
    I think it depends on your personal preference, but yeah I'd like a nice web browser with flash over a bunch of apps that you have to pay for.
    03-10-11 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD