First ebooks, then jigsaws, now old-@$$ tv cartoons.

I tell you. Digi-Media-"Apps" must be stopped! I bet a lot of those half-wit users out there will end up buying their "apps" and then complain, blaming RIM/BlackBerry for it.

I wouldn't mind them at all if they released a video store of their own and a book service like Kobo/Kindle (that would actually be very cool), boot flooding AppWorld like that just hurts business as a hole, since it makes finding stuff a h311 lot harder.

I just tweeted @asaunders and @alexkinsella about it.

Other sugestion on how can we engage RIM on this?
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-05-12 at 07:04 PM.
    02-05-12 06:57 PM
    I could not agree more with you, it's really aggravating and just plain sad. I can understand the puzzles one to an extent, i mean they are games (though that is a major stretch), but these should all be combined into a single app for such content, not spread out around the app store.

Even the Android Market has them properly categorized and filed away under completely separate items, they've got a movie rentals section and they've got a section for their e-books.
    mandony likes this.
    02-05-12 07:10 PM
    I know, I know. It's kind of a flood.

At the same time, as long as the apps meet the terms and conditions of App World, I don't know why anyone would be in a position to limit them.

I do see a number of Handster apps that likely violate copyright, but the Digi-Media stuff all seems to be legit.
    02-05-12 07:12 PM
    Oh, and from the looks of that pic on the BB Developer Blog that has seen plenty of exposure here, it looks like App World is in for a major renovation/reorganization; hopefully it will be easier to filter out the "less-desirable" apps...
    02-05-12 07:13 PM
    Oh, and from the looks of that pic on the BB Developer Blog that has seen plenty of exposure here, it looks like App World is in for a major renovation/reorganization; hopefully it will be easier to filter out the "less-desirable" apps...
    Let's hope this is the case (updated App World categories). Everyone cries for more applications - yet when I want to browse around looking for a real application, I don't want to have to cruise through eBooks & videos.
    02-06-12 11:48 AM
    I agree, they are totally annoying, as are the current crop of fart apps. Do we really need this drivel? Is Blackberry just allowing them to boost the numbers in App World? Id prefer a limited Appworld that was all high quality apps.
    02-06-12 05:32 PM
    This is the solution I would like to see! A way to filter, or give book apps there own section on App World.
    mandony likes this.
    02-06-12 07:00 PM
    I hate digital-media-Apps soo much. But Handster drives me crazy too...
    02-06-12 11:18 PM
    I hear yah, but there are some must-have killer handset apps, like this freebie which is hands down the most used app on my pb...

Last edited by aloon69; 02-07-12 at 12:00 AM.
    02-06-12 11:54 PM
    Oh dear lord.
    02-07-12 01:00 AM
    I hear yah, but there are some must-have killer handset apps, like this freebie which is hands down the most used app on my pb...

Click to view quoted image
    Worlds Worst Actor = Worlds Worst app
    02-07-12 07:28 AM
    Oh, nice, so OS2 is both a blessing AND a curse.

So, what can we do? I'm not going to buy lame apps to give them 0 stars...
    02-07-12 08:54 AM
    Um.. They can't combine it all into one app. IIRC it is against the Appworld ToS to make a market app. What RIM needs to do is give all of this junk it's own catagory so that they can keep it all quarntined from the real stuff.
    02-07-12 11:19 AM
    Um.. They can't combine it all into one app. IIRC it is against the Appworld ToS to make a market app. What RIM needs to do is give all of this junk it's own catagory so that they can keep it all quarntined from the real stuff.
    Hey Phill!

So, what do you call Kobo and 7digital? It's probably all about getting and agreement from RIM...

It can be done and really, I think all parties would benefit from it. Just imagine that unlikely 1% that trully want and does buy their content ending up with tens of thousands icons...
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-07-12 at 12:53 PM.
    02-07-12 12:50 PM
    OP, you rock. I sometimes suspect that Digi-Media-Apps is a subsidiary of RIM, which has the goal to increase the app count.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-07-12 01:52 PM
    lol, that's actually plausible... lol
    02-07-12 01:59 PM
    OP, you rock. I sometimes suspect that Digi-Media-Apps is a subsidiary of RIM, which has the goal to increase the app count.
    I hope this bit is far far from the truth, or we might never see a solution to this issue...
    02-07-12 02:00 PM
    I am with you guys and hope something wil be done
    02-07-12 02:14 PM
    The only reason this is a "problem" is because PB Appworld has a "Just Released" section on the main page.

If iOS or Android had one, it would just show a multitude of Soundboards, "sexy asian chick", and other assorted "crummy" apps.
    02-07-12 02:44 PM
    The only reason this is a "problem" is because PB Appworld has a "Just Released" section on the main page.

If iOS or Android had one, it would just show a multitude of Soundboards, "sexy asian chick", and other assorted "crummy" apps.
    Well, not quite. The problem is search. I was looking for a video converter the day I posted this. Ended up with a bunch of Popeye Shuteye, Captain America and Superman cartoon results from the time mom was still a jolly little girl.

It hurts searching, so it hurts App World as a whole. And bad.
    02-07-12 03:11 PM
    I am inclined to disagree, if you have used 2.0 beta then you are familiar with the UI, in the respects to create folders or use pans. I like how they do there books, but I didnt know of cartoons and puzzles. Sounds interesting, but how my thoughts are, I think its good to give options rather to sort through a book app such as book reader or select them as an app in a books folder. It provides power to the user and freedom of choice for there computer. I like both book reader and a book folder.
    02-07-12 09:35 PM
    I am inclined to disagree, if you have used 2.0 beta then you are familiar with the UI, in the respects to create folders or use pans. I like how they do there books, but I didnt know of cartoons and puzzles. Sounds interesting, but how my thoughts are, I think its good to give options rather to sort through a book app such as book reader or select them as an app in a books folder. It provides power to the user and freedom of choice for there computer. I like both book reader and a book folder.
    I see your point. It makes sense, specially the folder bit.

I hope thought that you see the main problem here: What they do makes finding REAL apps a whole lot harder. I am not the 14t person to complain about this in the forums (yet, hopefully I'll be the last...).
    02-07-12 09:58 PM
    I don't think it's actually the idea of the books (puzzles/cartoons/offline maps etc) themselves that's the problem - yes most of the books are available free from gutteburg and the like blah blah, and the folder of books post, I can understand how that might be prefferable to someusers...
    It's the sheer numbers that swamp the newest releases section tht's the problem. Catching the odd good release between pages of these and Handster releases (99.9% rubbish too) is impossible. Need an advanced search or preferences with the ability to filter out ctegories or devs as we like... and quickly (fingers crossed for the new appworld).
    diegonei and peter9477 like this.
    02-08-12 01:32 AM
    I actually like some of these old cartoons, I wish they just sold some kind of subscription fee and then just streamed the titles instead of creating a separate app for each one.
    02-08-12 04:43 PM
    What they can also do is give us the ability to filter out companies/developers.

Sorta like email filters...I'll glady set up a rule to not show digi-media junk.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-08-12 08:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD