Anyone tried the "on device" gps maps?

there's not much info on the apps itself on what can be done, can we marl points or is is it just a map to tell where you are?
    12-19-11 11:26 AM
    If you're interested in those maps, keep in mind that developers have the ability to delete pretty much any bad reviews, and the guy(s) who make that app (which is the same map cookie-cuttered over and over and over, same as the bulk e-book garbage) exercise that ability to the utmost.

Search back through this forum's archives to discover how people really feel about those apps. For the most part, it's not good.
    musical1806 likes this.
    12-19-11 02:09 PM
    If you're interested in those maps, keep in mind that developers have the ability to delete pretty much any bad reviews, and the guy(s) who make that app (which is the same map cookie-cuttered over and over and over, same as the bulk e-book garbage) exercise that ability to the utmost.

Search back through this forum's archives to discover how people really feel about those apps. For the most part, it's not good.
    i think its utterly ludicrous that devs have the right to remove bad reviews. controlling spam is one thing, but trying to silence legitimate bad reviews on something nonfunctional, badly made, etc etc just works completely against the blackberry app world. this is just one of the very few reasons i would never bother to buy a playbook app on a whim without extensive online research because those reviews in the app can't even be trusted.
    12-19-11 02:57 PM
    The map can locate you on the map. It does not provide much else other than the map. It can pan. It is based on OpenStreetMaps.

There was a time when these maps were being literally flunge onto Appworld and ONE reviewer managed to love the various "apps" (maps) even though in about 2 days that reviewer managed to be in about 20 countries and cities!!!!

I am not sure how much of any particular map is located on the device since "App Folders" are not available for user perusing. I know that when I reinstalled FRANCE-on-device it did need to do some initialization and I don't know how it got that data. Also, if you PAN across the maps, it will get more and more panels - I was able to pan that France Map to the US West Coast and zoom in on my location and it was grabbing maps. So it MIGHT be data intensive but I really don't know.
    12-19-11 03:49 PM
    Wait for Magellan Compass v3 to come, should be absolutely awesome.

This app you're talking about, I've only heard bad things about it.
    12-19-11 06:37 PM
    Is Magellan v3 going to support offline maps? I think that's what the OP must be looking for...
    12-19-11 09:25 PM
    Is Magellan v3 going to support offline maps? I think that's what the OP must be looking for...
    thanks for the replies...did more research after posting my question and been able to find answers.

yep I`m looking for offline maps...having gps capabilities and no apps with maps loaded to the pb makes no sens to me..might aswell not having a gps.

i only own a pb,no bb phone. the idea to be able to find out where i am or where to go on my pb when i travel is what interest me.

i love my pb, but more and more little things like that gps, skype, bad pdf reader, etc are starting to irritate me. i hope things will get bettr in the next 6 months otherwise i think i will move on to something else...sorry for the rant, i had a bad day.
    12-20-11 07:55 PM
    If you need local maps the best place to download their pdf files is from the websites of the local tourist agency.
    Then, use them on the Adobe reader, or, if jpg view as a picture

For example, I use the New York City Maps found at
    http://www.mta.info/maps/

Once you are there, the Google map apps work fine for detailed navigation.
    Last edited by mandony; 12-21-11 at 11:45 AM.
    12-21-11 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD