12-13-11 04:53 PM
72 123
tools
    to the playbook developer community:

given the unfortunate experience of shape services, among others, getting their applications approved by RIM and pushed into app world, it may be time to leverage the power of these fora (and other social media outlets) to bring the light into the darkness of what has been, for some at least, a very opaque and drawn-out process.

assuming there are no issues with non-disclosure agreements or other contractual instruments preventing comment, we'd be very interested to hear what your experiences have been getting through the app approval process, whether good or bad.

anything you can share is appreciated.

-- eldee

@mods

if this thread is contrary to crackberry's TOS, feel free to delete or amend as you feel necessary. if not, and we get useful feedback, perhaps consider this as one of the 'sticky' threads? if we were able to pressure RIM into
    answering one developers two-month+ long series of pleas, maybe we can find out where the kindle app, for instance. after all, the webOS guys got their version today.
    Last edited by eldeestephens; 07-18-11 at 07:05 PM.
    07-18-11 07:02 PM
    i have 90 products in appworld, iv NEVER had any issues with approval process.
    Dapper37 and dave_2611 like this.
    07-18-11 10:48 PM
    [+ thanks] hopefully we can get some PlayBook devs to share!
    07-18-11 11:27 PM
    [+ thanks] hopefully we can get some PlayBook devs to share!
    umm, i AM a playbook dev lol
    07-19-11 06:40 AM
    umm, i AM a playbook dev lol

Congratulations?
    I'm not sure what that's about? With the size of App World one might wonder, but surely you're not the only one right?
    07-19-11 08:22 AM
    I haven't had issues either.
    07-19-11 08:24 AM

Congratulations?
    I'm not sure what that's about? With the size of App World one might wonder, but surely you're not the only one right?
    No problems here either. My last release was approved in a matter of hours. A better place to gauge developer satisfaction would be to scan RIM's developer forums. Some developers have complained of delays but there is no general pattern of the type the OP expects.
    07-19-11 08:38 AM
    What apps do Shao and BBThemes have in app world? Are they communication type applications for the Playbook (i.e. email, messaging etc.) I think that was the point of the issues noted in the link.

RIM will let the "fart" apps through, the messaging apps NOT, because of conflict with their own tired, slow efforts. They absolutely WILL NOT let someone else make an email or messaging app available before they get theirs out. Whenever THAT might be.
    07-19-11 09:53 AM
    Some developers seem to get apps approved and repeatedly upgraded without any fuss and feathers. For example, there are a slew of file manager apps that were approved and which have been routinely upgraded since. Of course, developer App World experience may be better for those developers who develop better apps.

But we all have our most anticipated apps -- for my part I want Kindle, aMail (still), some SMS app. . . . But rather than cast aspersions about those developers or RIM, it seems likely that there is some issue that has delayed SMS and Native mail on the launch version, and that same issue has but the hard stall on the developers who have apps in those areas. It would be nice to hear from them, however, if they have some insight as to timing.
    07-19-11 01:15 PM
    What apps do Shao and BBThemes have in app world? Are they communication type applications for the Playbook (i.e. email, messaging etc.) I think that was the point of the issues noted in the link. RIM will let the "fart" apps through, the messaging apps NOT, because of conflict with their own tired, slow efforts. They absolutely WILL NOT let someone else make an email or messaging app available before they get theirs out. Whenever THAT might be.
    Shao has an HDMI adjustment app that augments blacks, etc. for projection. I haven't used it yet. He may or may not have others. Not sure. I know that BBThemes has the PaperPlanes app in AppWorld, again, maybe more; I'm not sure.

Either way, they're definitely not IM/Social applications or mail and message management utilities.
    07-19-11 02:22 PM
    Shao has an HDMI adjustment app that augments blacks, etc. for projection. I haven't used it yet. He may or may not have others. Not sure. I know that BBThemes has the PaperPlanes app in AppWorld, again, maybe more; I'm not sure.

Either way, they're definitely not IM/Social applications or mail and message management utilities.
    lol, shao has 9 apps, including the wicked CB app, i only have the one, but i found the process to be identical to phone apps.

is it just me that finds the title to be baiting, but then asks for good+bad in the actual post?
    07-19-11 03:23 PM
    lol, shao has 9 apps, including the wicked CB app, i only have the one, but i found the process to be identical to phone apps. Is it just me that finds the title to be baiting, but then asks for good+bad in the actual post?
    Yea for Shao (lets laugh?)! I knew of one that he has developed for the PlayBook and commented on it; not only that but mentioned there could very well be others! He is an excellent developer and I use a great number of his BBOS apps. I too have thrown my share of those 500,000 PaperPlanes. Great app! Thanks. It still doesn't explain what's going on with AMAIL or IM+ or what's going on with the Kindle app and others (even though RIM still has their icons and logos displayed all over the PlayBook website as I have noted in other posts).

You've made us a great app! Thanks. Your experience was stellar! Again, thanks! That's all we were asking and wondering about. There are and have been issues with other developers. The OP and numerous other users here wonder, obviously, if there weren't other developers who had similar issues. SHAPE and AMAIL's team have been vocal up to now. Perhaps others weren't so...
    dave_2611 likes this.
    07-19-11 03:33 PM
    lol, shao has 9 apps, including the wicked CB app, i only have the one, but i found the process to be identical to phone apps.

is it just me that finds the title to be baiting, but then asks for good+bad in the actual post?
    no, no. no baiting intended. just genuinely curious. a small number of developers have had issues getting approval in a timely fashion, others within a few days. i'm just trying to understand if there is a pattern and to solicit feedback.

individuals may hear anecdotes from this person and that, or one may see a skewed article in the 'tech press' or on a blog. i just think it might be good to have a central place to talk about the app world process, how developers are finding it in general, and if there is anything they'd like to discuss publicly where RIM could improve.

so far we have feedback from two developers in this thread, both positive. that's good. i'd much rather hear that things are going well for the majority of devs out there than not!

-- eldee
    07-19-11 03:50 PM
    no, no. no baiting intended. just genuinely curious. a small number of developers have had issues getting approval in a timely fashion, others within a few days. i'm just trying to understand if there is a pattern and to solicit feedback.
    only reason i said that, is your title says `appworld approval issues` which is of course the negative connatation, however in your posts you say both good and bad, so i jus feel `appworld experiences` would of been less leading as a title.

while i cant speak for the IM+ issue (which as we know is being sorted now) if you read the TOS for the SDK it clearly says no email apps without prior authorisation, now aiFlex havent been on the forums in a fair while to answer many people, so we jus dont know if that authorisation was given or not.
    07-19-11 05:16 PM
    Some developers seem to get apps approved and repeatedly upgraded without any fuss and feathers. For example, there are a slew of file manager apps that were approved and which have been routinely upgraded since. Of course, developer App World experience may be better for those developers who develop better apps.

But we all have our most anticipated apps -- for my part I want Kindle, aMail (still), some SMS app. . . . But rather than cast aspersions about those developers or RIM, it seems likely that there is some issue that has delayed SMS and Native mail on the launch version, and that same issue has but the hard stall on the developers who have apps in those areas. It would be nice to hear from them, however, if they have some insight as to timing.
    You won't see aMail for awhile, if ever. The developer has pretty much bolted because yes there are quite a few issues with messaging and native email, i.e. RIM can't get it done themselves so they are delaying the approvals of those apps so their "efforts" will be 1st on the PB. And then probably even longer to give time for them to become "embedded" so to speak. Once people become accustomed to using their email and messaging clients they will not change to 3rd party easily. A new app would have to really be exceptional. But then all they have to do is not approve it again, right?

Customers are jumping ship and now developers are too. That's too bad because RIM development has shown they cannot possibly do this on their own.

People that continue to deny that RIM is holding back 3rd party email and messaging clients need to read the writing on the wall. Developers want to make a living, an email or messaging client would be a huge seller.

Wonder why there aren't any...hmmmm.
    07-19-11 07:09 PM
    People that continue to deny that RIM is holding back 3rd party email clients need to read the SDK terms and conditions.
    just sorted that one out for ya
    07-19-11 08:11 PM
    What, no link?
    07-19-11 08:22 PM
    So do you believe then that the suggestions herein about RIM purposely holding back 3rd party messaging apps because theirs are still being cooked up have merit? There's a reason those clauses in SDK terms are there. Care to speculate? If you believe we are mistaken, where's the error; what's your opinion?

You should develop another app that folds up POP3 and IMAP emails into paper planes and shoots them out of my PlayBook. It won't get approved... There's a reason for that, and I can tell you that reason goes a little deeper than their terms and conditions.
    07-19-11 09:56 PM
    So do you believe then that the suggestions herein about RIM purposely holding back 3rd party messaging apps because theirs are still being cooked up have merit? There's a reason those clauses in SDK terms are there. Care to speculate? If you believe we are mistaken, where's the error; what's your opinion?

You should develop another app that folds up POP3 and IMAP emails into paper planes and shoots them out of my PlayBook. It won't get approved... There's a reason for that, and I can tell you that reason goes a little deeper than their terms and conditions.
    im not going to speculate, many people have already done that, so i dont really see the purpose of it, it doesnt get anyone anywhere.

and it doesnt need to go any deeper than terms and conditions. they are there for a reason, if people dont read them (as is often the case for anything like T&A or EULA`s) then thats their lookout.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 07-19-11 at 10:41 PM.
    07-19-11 10:37 PM
    Well I just submitted my first two apps to app world earlier today so I'll be happy to give feedback once I'm through "the process."

I'm hoping it doesn't take too long as my app is pretty benign, but we'll see!
    07-20-11 03:30 PM
    I agree, it's not TOS or license issues or non-disclosure. This is all about RIM not letting the Playbook get away from them, which it would if there were email, messaging and even VOIP video calling apps to become available before they had their own ready.

Am I blaming RIM? Yes, but for lack of foresight and innovation. For practically begging developers to come on board and help make the Playbook exceptional, then stonewalling independent developers that take initiative and effort to do so. They've denied revenue to those devs. I'm not a dev. I'm not out any $Cha-Ching here, just a consumer with some technical aptitude that follows the industry and sees discrepancies that affect me only as a consumer. As such I see my purchase of the PB hamstrung by corporate politics. They've decided to deny me the full functionality / potential of my Playbook because of things they failed to see and others they chose to ignore.

If these issues were global throughout the process I might think different. But when it's a particular genre on application that over and over get delayed or denied then talk about SDK legal terms and such are nothing but smokescreen and whitewash. A play for time, since the only timeline that can be established is "soon".

Yes, I blame RIM because of talk and promises about their "Enterprise Ready" tablet have ended up being empty and, in my mind, even lies at times. Based on that I and others made purchases that we believed would add productivity to our work and everyday lives. Instead we get a media device that can connect to our current blackberries so we can see our emails better. And when someone shows they can deliver what RIM cannot, they are shutout and both they and consumers are denied again.
    07-21-11 12:02 PM
    I'd love to hear from an actual mail client developer here, who is willing to be 100% honest (not bitter because their app got denied). I'd bet part of it is not wanting a 3rd party solution available before their own PIM is available. But also, we know "security" is a huge thing for RIM, I'm wondering how many things get denied simply for creating a security loophole, and if so, does RIM communicate to the developer why they would deny or hold up an app, or do they just reject/hold without saying why?
    07-21-11 12:18 PM
    I'd love to hear from an actual mail client developer here, who is willing to be 100% honest (not bitter because their app got denied). I'd bet part of it is not wanting a 3rd party solution available before their own PIM is available. But also, we know "security" is a huge thing for RIM, I'm wondering how many things get denied simply for creating a security loophole, and if so, does RIM communicate to the developer why they would deny or hold up an app, or do they just reject/hold without saying why?
    I hear that security argument all the time. I work for a fortune 500 company, 50,000 employees. Our security and IT department have determined not to use the "Enterprise Ready" Playbook. The deciding factors? Adobe Air, Flash and Java games, especially multi-player online games create a significant security risk.

Yet how many have been approved and are currently played everyday?

Smokescreen. If there was a security issue, they could be pushed back to the developer to be fixed, retested and then released. NONE have made final approval. We're not talking all mom-n-pop independants here. I'm talking about shops that make their living developing applications for multiple platforms. Look up Shapeservices IM+ and the problems they've been having getting their messaging application approved. It's available on Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone. It has Skype, AIM, Yahoo Msgnr, Facebook, MySpace and even ICQ support (for those that still live in the early 90's, lol)
    Last edited by dkingsf; 07-21-11 at 12:33 PM.
    07-21-11 12:28 PM
    Has anyone tried out the new email and messaging app in App World?
    07-21-11 06:46 PM
    Has anyone tried out the new email and messaging apps in App World?
    Nobody yet?
    07-22-11 11:13 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD