Hi,
    I am looking for someone to create a Playbook App for me. I use an online tool that was created in Flash, but there is also an Air application that can be downloaded to a PC (Mac, Windows, Linux). It is a Lens Calculator for Barco projectors. [HTML]http://www2.barco.com/en/media_entertainment/lenscalculator/[/HTML]

I use this for my job all the time and would love to have a dedicated app on my Playbook, since I am often having to do lens calculations on-site where I don't have access to the internet or a PC. I can use the flash version from the Barco website on my PB, and it works, but is quite clunky to use.

If any of you developers are interested in tackling this, please feel free to contact me via this thread.

Regards,
    _d
    07-03-12 03:59 PM
    If you can get permission from Barco to have their file made into an app I'll see what I can do.
    Without that, I don't think I can legally make an app from their .air file.
    KermEd and anon(3896606) like this.
    07-08-12 09:26 PM
    Thanks for getting back to me!

I will reach out to them regarding permissions, etc.. and let you know what Barco says.

How difficult do you think it would be to create the app? It seems that since it was created in Air, it shouldn't be too bad.

_d
    07-08-12 09:45 PM
    I'm not an air dev, but I'm pretty sure all that would need to be done is packaging it.
    thesoundguy77 likes this.
    07-08-12 09:46 PM
    Hi There,

Great news! I got a response from Barco and they said go for it.

Here's what they had to say:
    "We have no objections in your using the calculator and making it available on blackberry tablets, as longs as Barco is credited/copyrighted for the calculator and as long as a disclaimer is added that this version is an unofficial one based on Barco's lens calculator."

So, I guess the next step is to figure out how to port the app for playbook. This is sweet!

I appreciate your help on this one...anything i can do to help, just let me know.

Neely2005 likes this.
    07-25-12 05:53 PM
    I'll get on that as soon as I have some time lol (maybe sunday or next weekend).
    Can you forward me that email? PM me and I'll get you my email addy.
    07-26-12 06:21 PM
    Got the app, such as it is, pretty much done.
    If anyone wants to try this before it's released to App World, you can download it from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9610464/temp/LensCalculator.bar for sideloading.
    It requires web access because the resources the app uses are on barco's site.

Last edited by SCrid2000; 08-13-12 at 03:37 PM.
    07-30-12 11:51 PM
    App is available now at Free Barco Lens Calculator - Download Barco Lens Calculator - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    If you like it, thank Barco.
    If you like that it was ported, thank me
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 08-13-12 at 03:20 PM.
    08-13-12 03:14 PM
    Move thread to PB Apps & Games. Great work guys!!!!!!
    08-13-12 03:33 PM
    Hey SCrid2000. Thanks a bunch for getting that approved for for App World.

I guess the next step is to make a 'touch' version, and then possibly an offline version. Know any Air developers that would be willing to give it a try?

_d
    08-13-12 10:11 PM
    Thanks SCrid2000 !!
    08-14-12 09:21 AM
    Hey SCrid2000. Thanks a bunch for getting that approved for for App World.

I guess the next step is to make a 'touch' version, and then possibly an offline version. Know any Air developers that would be willing to give it a try?

_d
    To do an offline copy, we would need access to the source code and a local mirror download. I think they will say no to that
    08-14-12 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD