On the drive to school this morning my son borrowed my PlayBook and started playing Angry Birds. At one point the Angry Birds HD Appworld page popped up on my 9810. I closed it and it popped up again. I assume there is something happening over bridge, initiated by Angry Birds on the PlayBook. Not happy with this, I check the application permissions on the PlayBook for Angry Birds. There is no entry for Angry Birds permissions, so I just deleted the app. I don't want some game accessing my BlackBerry phone without my permission. Who knows what else it is doing.

Anybody else seen this behavior. I think there was an update to Angry Birds a few days ago which may be related to this, as I have not seen this happen before.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-15-12 at 09:14 AM.
    02-15-12 07:54 AM
    I will have to check that!

EDIT: Ok I checked and played a game, plus monkeyed around with the settings and I could not replicate the issue.
    02-15-12 08:26 AM
    They way I see it, Bridge was thinking that the request for AppWorld was for the BB version and not the PB version.

It was the safe thing to remove it, but I don't think you were in any danger to begin with.

But what do I know? I'd never spend $5 on that game when I can get Dead Space and Game Loft titles...
    02-15-12 08:26 AM

EDIT: Ok I checked and played a game, plus monkeyed around with the settings and I could not replicate the issue.
    Is there a log on the 9810 that I can check to see what was going on? The 9810 also has the latest OS , 7.1.0.258 on it.
    02-15-12 08:36 AM

its easy to replicate, in any app with a appworld link.

1) bridge device
    2) disconnect PB from wifi
    3) go into the levels section (or where theres an appworld button if on another app)
    4) hit appworld link

basically because its using bridge data, it wrongly opens it over bridge, which forces the phone to open its appworld on that location. its not the app doing it, more a `bug` of sorts in bridge.

@robsteve, basically what your son did was click either the link for angry birds seasons or angry birds rio, that are on the levels page if ya swipe all the way to the right.
    02-15-12 08:45 AM
    best to erase, then reinstall. if it happens again, then remove it by throwing the phone firmly against a wall. (just kidding) there should be a permission window that comes up after the app installs, do not give it the preferred usage. should solve the problem
    02-15-12 08:48 AM

@robsteve, basically what your son did was click either the link for angry birds seasons or angry birds rio, that are on the levels page if ya swipe all the way to the right.
    I reinstalled and was able to duplicate as you described.

Why isn't there an application permissions page for Angry Birds? It would be nice to be able to block the apps access to the internet over bridge. For example, when we got to the school, I went to get the playbook from him and saw that he was no longer playing Angry birds but streaming Angry Birds videos on youtube, also probably from a link in the game.

In countries where we do not have unlimited mobile data, the application developers must have the courtesy to limit the amount of data consumed when not on wifi. Imagine if I was roaming in the USA and hadn't noticed that my son was using data at $80 a megabyte.

I have just deleted Angry Birds again and it will remain off the PlayBook until there is an option to limit data access.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-15-12 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Deleted Angry Birds again
    02-15-12 09:09 AM
    That's a nasty little bug! Hopefully the coming bridge and PB OS updates will fix it!
    02-15-12 09:23 AM
    I reinstalled and was able to duplicate as you described.

Why isn't there an application permissions page for Angry Birds? It would be nice to be able to block the apps access to the internet over bridge. For example, when we got to the school, I went to get the playbook from him and saw that he was no longer playing Angry birds but streaming Angry Birds videos on youtube, also probably from a link in the game.

In countries where we do not have unlimited mobile data, the application developers must have the courtesy to limit the amount of data consumed when not on wifi. Imagine if I was roaming in the USA and hadn't noticed that my son was using data at $80 a megabyte.

I have just deleted Angry Birds again and it will remain off the PlayBook until there is an option to limit data access.
    i see your arguement, but its not angry birds, its bridge thats doing it, as i say, any appworld link in any app will do the same. so to remove angry birds seems a little overkill from that perspective.

i guess the best way around it for now, is not to have your phone bridged while others are using your PB although thats by no means ideal.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-15-12 09:30 AM
    i see your arguement, but its not angry birds, its bridge thats doing it, as i say, any appworld link in any app will do the same. so to remove angry birds seems a little overkill from that perspective.

i guess the best way around it for now, is not to have your phone bridged while others are using your PB although thats by no means ideal.
    It's not ideal but if he is worried about data usage, he should't have his phone bridged while his son is playing with his playbook.
    kbz1960 and offthahorseceo like this.
    02-15-12 10:49 AM
    It's not ideal but if he is worried about data usage, he should't have his phone bridged while his son is playing with his playbook.
    You are correct and I usually will turn off the bluetooth when I let him use it, but since he only wanted to play a game on it, I forgot to disconnect it from the phone. He is only eight and probably didn't realize the YouTube could be using the internet.

In the future, the answer will be no, you can't use it, just like I don't let him play games on my phone.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-15-12 at 11:03 AM.
    02-15-12 11:01 AM
    thats harsh too. i just tell the kids that ask to use my devices. ok, but stay on this app/game etc. dont click this, this this or this. it costs me money.

if i find out you did anything else besides what i just showed you, ill never let you use it again.

works pretty well
    02-15-12 11:56 AM
    thats harsh too. i just tell the kids that ask to use my devices. ok, but stay on this app/game etc. dont click this, this this or this. it costs me money.

if i find out you did anything else besides what i just showed you, ill never let you use it again.

works pretty well
    I'll still let him use it at home, but since he is only eight, he should be supervised when using it and it is hard to do that when driving.
    02-15-12 12:00 PM
    When ever anyone is just playing games, I always disable bridge, and or wifi. Especially my 7yr old grand daughter. She's very smart and catches things most 'people' seem to miss. She will remember passwords after just seeing it once. She keeps me on my toes.
    02-15-12 12:28 PM
    Sounds like a feature to me.
    02-15-12 02:49 PM
    I never ever let anybody use my PB with Bridge on, the info on my BB is for my eyes only!!
    02-15-12 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD