05-16-11 12:05 AM
31 12
tools
    Hi guys,

I'd like to introduce you to our new BlackBerry PlayBook game: Defense Station (https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/32397). We made Defense Station because we believe that the Tower Defense genre is perfect for mobile devices. We believe that gaming on the BlackBerry PlayBook should be intuitive, long lasting and most of all fun.

Defense Station started as a fun homebrew project for the PSP. We later ported it to the iPhone. When BlackBerry announced their free PlayBook offer we thought it would be a great chance to improve our game and make use of a bigger faster piece of hardware. With the bigger screen we were able to really nail down the UI that weren't as polished on the previous versions.

Defense Station features:
    - 4 distinctly different maps.
    - 50 waves of unique creeps per map.
    - gameplay that goes from nice and easy to crazy difficult.
    - User interface designed with the tablet in mind.

(We'll try get a youtube video up soon)

So far feedback has been really positive, we'd love to hear yours so let us know here or on our blog @ Ironshod Blog.

Happy gaming
    Jacob and Dave from Ironshod.
    04-30-11 06:51 PM
    Oh man, now this looks to be up my alley. I'll check it out as soon as I'm able and let you know what I think.
    04-30-11 07:40 PM
    Awesome! We'll be keeping it at 99c for a while as a perk to all the PlayBook early adopters out there.

Only wish the launch would have been worldwide, we have to wait until June for the New Zealand release.
    04-30-11 08:00 PM
    Very cool. Easy to play but lightning doesn't seem to be firing. medium level on river.
    Last edited by jkurlanski; 04-30-11 at 08:19 PM.
    04-30-11 08:13 PM
    game hangs when you switch to other windows.
    04-30-11 08:22 PM
    @jkurlanski Lightning tower is a slow firing, high damage tower. The animation is a little yellow lightning bolt on the creep.

We've received some feedback around app switching and sleep mode issues. Don't get me started on debugging hardware issues without the actual hardware :-\

We can't get our developer PlayBook until it is released, in June , in our country (New Zealand).
    Last edited by Ironshod-Jacob; 04-30-11 at 08:38 PM.
    04-30-11 08:30 PM
    That makes it tough! Retried lightning and it is not firing. Anyone else seeing it?
    04-30-11 09:11 PM
    Okay, so I made the leap and started playing this while I was making some food. It's very intuitive and really not hard to use. As with any touch screen game, it can be a little hard to place the turrets and stuff at times just due to the sensitivity (you touch one spot, but it goes to another) but that's normal.

Overall, it's quite fun. They have some funny comments before the beginning of each round and the mobs/turrets are varied enough to keep me interested. Even on easy they caught me by surprise a couple times as I found myself scrambling to add more turrets when they whooshed by my existing ones!

I did experience the issue with the game locking up when going into standby, though. I left my PB for a few minutes while I was on level 14 or something, come back, and the game has locked up and I'm unable to do anything so I had to restart the app =\ Kind of a bummer, but I'm sure they'll get it worked out in an update.

Overall, first game I've enjoyed on the PB. Off to a great start so far.

--

@jkurlanski: The lightning was firing for me, but it's not as obvious as the cannons or lasers. You'll see a quick yellow zap and then it's gone. Watch for it on bosses and you should see it. I think some improvement could be done on the lightning animation to fix it up so it's more noticeable, but it's definitely there right now.
    04-30-11 11:51 PM
    I downloaded this game tonight and love it. Thanks for the special $.99 price!
    05-01-11 04:22 AM
    Game looks great, can't wait to get my PlayBook and download this app
    05-01-11 02:18 PM
    Bought this a while ago as I am a TD fan.. (Where the **** is PvZ!?)

It's a really great entry on the PB in tower defense games! I know of one other one I'd like to try, but I'm still having fun with this one and the price is great.

I would like to see maybe a new level that would showcase a new layout? As in, make the battlefield take much more of the screen and dedicate less to the towers and the info. Make them a single row of icons perhaps with a pop out menu to hide the rest of the info. By the time the player reaches those types of maps, they probably won't need all the info laid out while playing, along with being able to manage a larger map size.

All in all though a great game, well done!
    05-01-11 04:47 PM
    i don't have a playbook yet (HUGE FAN of tower defense, it all started back at WC3 lol), but can you put the game on Full screen? i mean where the towers and enemies are.
    playbook arriving in 3 days! will be looking forward to puurchasing this app!
    05-01-11 09:14 PM
    Great feedback guys. We're working on a few things, namely:

- the standby bug
    - bigger map area
    - tower placement UI - sucks that the tower is under your finger
    05-02-11 05:03 AM
    OK guys, we've submitted an update to BlackBerry with a fix for the standby bug. There was some code in their that was used to handle the simulator. It wasn't needed for the device. We think this may have caused the issue.

Once again sucks testing without an actual device.

Also changed the tower placement so you can drag the tower once it is paced by dragging anywhere in the red circle. Should solve the issue of not seeing the tower as it is under your finger.
    05-03-11 02:45 AM
    Fun game. I've enjoyed it so far. Kept me entertained at the doctors office today.
    jkurlanski likes this.
    05-03-11 09:35 PM
    Ok guys. There is a new version live now. Could someone download the update and see if it crashes when the playbook goes to standby mode. Couldn't test this as our playback still hasn't arrived.

Cheers
    05-06-11 12:25 AM
    What version is it? I just checked app world and all I see is 1.0 with no updates available currently.
    05-06-11 12:55 AM
    Version 1.0.0.5 Shows on the web store https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs.../32397?lang=en
    Last edited by Ironshod-Jacob; 05-06-11 at 05:28 AM.
    05-06-11 05:25 AM
    I finally got 1.0.0.5 today, upgraded, started a game and let my PB go into standby mode. Brought it back out, and the game was unresponsive as it had been previously, so it doesn't seem to be any different as of yet.
    05-08-11 07:41 PM
    I love tower defense game(s) and I have played many on the iOS and Android.

But here is my main critique:

1. The Playbook is powerful so you have to make the game look great with super graphics. The Playbook can handle it. As of now, the game looks cartoonish. You have to make the graphics stand out with smooth animation.

To the developer of this game:

I hope you will make another tower defense game with another theme and much better graphic. Since you have experience with this game, I don't think it would be difficult to make another tower defense game.

Also, if you can make a Plants vs. Zombies clone than it would be great.

Take a look at this clone from ipad:

05-09-11 12:45 AM
    @1stStrike Sucks We're still working on it, unfortunately it's very hard without the device. I'll update this post with our progress. Hopefully we get somewhere soon. Sorry it's taking so long.

Has anyone tried it with their PlayBook in ShowCase mode? See setTimeout and setInterval not working after backl... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums hopefully this will be a short-term fix
    05-09-11 01:54 AM
    I love tower defense game(s) and I have played many on the iOS and Android.

But here is my main critique:

1. The Playbook is powerful so you have to make the game look great with super graphics. The Playbook can handle it. As of now, the game looks cartoonish. You have to make the graphics stand out with smooth animation.

To the developer of this game:

I hope you will make another tower defense game with another theme and much better graphic. Since you have experience with this game, I don't think it would be difficult to make another tower defense game.

Also, if you can make a Plants vs. Zombies clone than it would be great.

Take a look at this clone from ipad:

Not all of us want a realistic tower defense game. Personally, I prefer the style of graphics that this game has over something like F-15's or something flying across my screen. That'd be a yawn-fest for me.

To each their own.

I like the product they've put out and at 99 cents it's a steal right now. Once they're able to get the standby bug fixed, I'll be happy as a lark.
    05-09-11 02:24 AM
    Hi All! Dave, the other half of Ironshod here.

Jacob found a link to something that looks like it should fix the sleep issue, so I've implemented it and resubmitted to RIM.

We'll be back in a few days once it has been accepted for a re-test (We are very grateful to you 1stStrike for your testing so far!). Maybe our playbook will have finally shipped by then!
    05-09-11 06:37 AM
    Glad to hear it, Dave. Once I get the update I'll let you know of my findings.
    05-09-11 12:19 PM
    Not all of us want a realistic tower defense game. Personally, I prefer the style of graphics that this game has over something like F-15's or something flying across my screen. That'd be a yawn-fest for me.

To each their own.
    Yes, "to each their own".....I completely agree.
    05-09-11 12:26 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD