Ok so we see the rumors of PB 2.0 and everyone starts piping up about apps.

Apps and sites like Hulu and Netflix and skype and the list can and will go on...

Anyways why is everyone blaming RIM for holding the apps back?

RIM doesn't control the apps or the sites? So dropbox, twitter, netflix and hulu are not affiliated with RIM so why does everyone moan and groan about this? And don't give me the line that RIM needs to approve it cr@p either, because those companies are the ones that need to step the game up, NOTHING to do with RIM until it comes to the approval time
    You cannot tell me that RIM is holding back every single bloody app out there! Publicly, we know IM+ is stalled, but you guys can't tell me that every single app is because of RIM.

Netflix and Hulu needs to allow the Blackberry web browser certificates to view their websites so we can watch things online, but how is this on RIM's head? It's not!

Angry Birds, I bet you anything Rovio is either waiting or like EA, has an Alpha/beta NDK and are coding the app as we speak, which with the evolution of PB 2.0 may need to be reworked if they are doing an UI change

Anyways people need to lay off RIM for a bit and realize that not everything is their fault. Some apps maybe waiting for the NDK to come out and that is RIM's fault, but things like Hulu needs to allow RIM's web browser to work!!!

I am tired of the whiners that think its all on RIM's head to get these services to work, when reality is, it is NOT, it is the developer not RIM that has to make the apps!!
    batboris likes this.
    08-22-11 02:49 PM
    RIM provides the OS. It's the developers responsibility to make the applications that run on it. Unfortunately, some can't understand that concept.

People seem to forget that as the OSs were updated for phones, developers also updated their apps.
    dentynefire likes this.
    08-22-11 03:00 PM
    RIM provides the OS. It's the developers responsibility to make the applications that run on it. Unfortunately, some can't understand that concept.

People seem to forget that as the OSs were updated for phones, developers also updated their apps.
    ok and that is what I eluded to, the fact the NDK does need to be available, but not everything is on RIM's head for that. Why doesn't hulu or netflix allow the BB browser to work instead of having an app?

This is where its really stupid, because when you have the "full" web experience with the playbook, why can't Hulu accept the certificates to browse to the site and at least people would stop complaining so much! An app is just an excuse solution Apple came up with because they don't want users to experience the "full" web. Apple can control that, so they dictate what apps have to be made that will work for iOS.

The playbook can reach these sites and was proven the first week that Hulu was working as a website on the Playbook, they shut it down.

Why aren't people directing their anger towards Hulu for not at least allowing the Playbook browser to work until they get an app for the Playbook?
    Last edited by QuIcKsIlV3r; 08-22-11 at 03:09 PM.
    batboris likes this.
    08-22-11 03:07 PM
    Apps also provide a source of income where as websites may not.

I would never pay for an application before searching for a website that provides the same feature for free.

The bottom line is, it's easier for people to blame RIM for the shortcomings of the PlayBook than to direct that anger elsewhere where it should be.

I learned that as a parent many years ago. "It's all your fault!" I accepted that blame until my kids grew up and figured it out for themselves. We can only hope the same occurs here.
    08-22-11 03:18 PM
    I am willing to bet all the negative press. Maybe once RIM comes out with the PB 2.0 updates, developers will take a sober second look...a look past overblown reviews that included the power button being too small.
    08-22-11 03:21 PM
    Maybe once RIM comes out with the PB 2.0 updates, developers will take a sober second look...a look past overblown reviews that included the power button being too small.
    Cash is king. If the market ever embraces the playbook, the applications will follow.

Sadly though, the playbook can't show it's true potential without applications.

Quite the dilemma.
    08-22-11 03:31 PM
    Ok so we see the rumors of PB 2.0 and everyone starts piping up about apps.

Apps and sites like Hulu and Netflix and skype and the list can and will go on...

You cannot tell me that RIM is holding back every single bloody app out there! Publicly, we know IM+ is stalled, but you guys can't tell me that every single app is because of RIM.

Netflix and Hulu needs to allow the Blackberry web browser certificates to view their websites so we can watch things online, but how is this on RIM's head? It's not!

Angry Birds, I bet you anything Rovio is either waiting or like EA, has an Alpha/beta NDK and are coding the app as we speak, which with the evolution of PB 2.0 may need to be reworked if they are doing an UI change

Anyways people need to lay off RIM for a bit and realize that not everything is their fault. Some apps maybe waiting for the NDK to come out and that is RIM's fault, but things like Hulu needs to allow RIM's web browser to work!!!

I am tired of the whiners that think its all on RIM's head to get these services to work, when reality is, it is NOT, it is the developer not RIM that has to make the apps!!
    Understood but a tablets' reputation is closely tied to what it can do, and apps play a huge part in functionality. It doesn't matter how awesome the hardware is few apps = few functionality, it's that simply.

RIM should be blamed, if you go to the blackberry playbook site, you will see skype and other useful apps the are being displayed on the playbook but are currently not available to us the customers.

That is telling they exists and are being withheld or RIM fraudulently photoshoped the picture to get sales.

I know the griping can be annoying but when you pay premium money for a product you should atlease have the basic functionalities of the competition.

I think my android phone saved my playbook from getting returned. What the playbook cant do, I go to my epic.

Complaints are positive and if RIM or anyone in business views complaints as people bittching then they will continue to watch the competitions rearend.
    08-22-11 03:41 PM
    We have no idea how many apps rim may be sitting on. Hatax indicated his had been rejected because it was similar to the existing browser. I would prefer to make that decision myself - if his allowed organizing bookmarks or FIND on a webpage, I would prefer it to the native browser. Have other apps been slapped down? We don't know. Also, since rim has not released the development kit, some developers cannot create apps - that is definitely on rim's shoulders.

Do we know if it is rim or amazon that's holding up kindle? I would guess there are issues about how much rim makes on book sales and this could be the holdup. On the cloud, you skip rim - all profits are amazon's.
    08-22-11 04:05 PM
    Cash is king. If the market ever embraces the playbook, the applications will follow.

Quite the dilemma.
    Catch-22, amazing book BTW a must read!
    08-22-11 04:15 PM
    Answer:
    - Native NDK
    - RIM's approval/arrogance
    - Win-win solution for developers

Just my thoughts, doesn't mean it is true.
    08-22-11 04:18 PM
    Catch-22, amazing book BTW a must read!
    Do I faintly remember seeing a plane propeller from a suppressed childhood memory?
    08-22-11 04:25 PM
    Do I faintly remember seeing a plane propeller from a suppressed childhood memory?
    you sure do!
    08-22-11 04:28 PM
    I have talked with other developers about this. Most cite the small market for their apps. But one blurted out "that doesn't matter -- right now RIM hasn't even given us any tools". I think that pretty much sums up the two main reasons. You may or may not want to blame RIM for low sales and a small market, but I definitely would blame them for not having their sh!t together on the SDK.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    08-22-11 07:02 PM
    NDK....whos fault is this again?
    08-22-11 07:10 PM
    I think that the OP just likes conflict and has started a thread with a controversial topic.

I don't think anyone thinks that RIM is "holding the apps back." That would be stupid. Instead, RIM just does not have its act together and has lets months go by without lining up crucial apps. Even Touchpad had Angry Birds, Skype and Kindle! That tells you something.
    andrew3306 likes this.
    08-22-11 07:15 PM

Quite the dilemma.
    It's a Catch-22. And Apple and Google are not going to let their developers go easily. It's a problem I can't see going away without RIM throwing a LOT of money at it. What did Apple say they paid developers since the iOS came out? $5bn so far?
    08-22-11 07:20 PM
    Here is an open question: has RIM done all they can to spur app development?
    08-22-11 07:23 PM
    It's a Catch-22. And Apple and Google are not going to let their developers go easily. It's a problem I can't see going away without RIM throwing a LOT of money at it. What did Apple say they paid developers since the iOS came out? $5bn so far?
    I agree. This why i agreed with a poster who suggested something simple like giving developers a 100% of app-sale proceeds. I suggest paying developers bonuses for popular apps on top of that.

Spur the development. It WILL cost money, but the returns would be substantial.
    08-22-11 07:25 PM
    Here is an open question: has RIM done all they can to spur app development?
    Well, you'd have to say no if they haven't provided the tools required.
    08-22-11 07:26 PM
    If sales of playbooks are dependant on apps why doesnt rim just pay developers to devlop the apps that are most popular?
    08-22-11 07:32 PM
    If sales of playbooks are dependant on apps why doesnt rim just pay developers to devlop the apps that are most popular?
    And then what? Tell them to wait for the SDK? That is the main show-stopper for complex apps. Hopefully RIM will do a better job reaching out to developers and promoting the platform once they do have an SDK ready to go.
    08-22-11 08:33 PM
    The skype,hulu,netflix are available on iOS,andrioid and to the consumer he doesn't care why but RIM products doesn't have it while Google and Apple's product have it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 11:15 PM
    open the browser use .. and i wouldnt care if an app was made for 75% of what you named in this thread
    08-22-11 11:21 PM
    Two things should have been available when the PB launched, the NDK and BBOS player. That way PB owners could have access to all of the current App World catalog while native PB apps were being created, both Apple and Google understood this. Instead RIM jumps all in with Adobe, thinking they would get all this flash and web based apps that didn't materialize. So, then RIM says we'll run Android apps to close the gap, but there is no guarantee that Android developers are going to repackage their apps and go through an approval process to get on App World just for the PB, unless RIM decides to take less of a cut from app sales or maybe RIM comes out and says QNX phones will also support Android apps. More than likely, we'll have to hack our way into the Android Market to get the apps. So, now everything hinges on the NDK, when it's coming out and whether RIM is going to really back developers to get apps developed and approved.
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 08-23-11 at 07:51 AM.
    08-23-11 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD