Hey everyone,

Here is a news clip about the upcoming OS 2.0 from Playbook that aired this morning on CTV News.

Top Picks : New Playbook
    02-17-12 08:40 AM
    nice Post!

i'm buying a third playbook today sometime
    02-17-12 08:48 AM
    Ah yes, our local K-W CTV. They finally stopped trashing RIM, for a moment, and presented a positive story...that they could have done during CES.
    Why add the 'Tech Expert" comments at the end. As part of a RIM story, did they have to announce the iPad3 in March.
    They just couldn't leave that negative, repetitive stuff out and keep the subject solely about the new PB OS.
    02-17-12 09:07 AM
    I already tweeted that to Alex Kinsella - I thought the first part of the story was quite good and then the part of the tech expert had to be there as well -
    pmccartney and Stewartj1 like this.
    02-17-12 09:11 AM
    The tech guy wasn't being negative.. he was just stating that the competition is introducing a new device soon and BB needs to do the same thing very soon... As software updating a 1 year old device isn't going to help rim long term.
    02-17-12 09:31 AM
    Ah yes, our local K-W CTV. They finally stopped trashing RIM, for a moment, and presented a positive story...that they could have done during CES.
    Why add the 'Tech Expert" comments at the end. As part of a RIM story, did they have to announce the iPad3 in March.
    They just couldn't leave that negative, repetitive stuff out and keep the subject solely about the new PB OS.
    Ehm... Because it might be really useful info for consumers, that there is a new iPad coming in a few weeks? You know, many people would appreciate knowing that, before they run out to buy a one year old tablet that's getting it's software updated...
    BuzzStarField and speedypear like this.
    02-17-12 09:42 AM
    Anyone else notice the failed app launch at the end of the video?
    02-17-12 09:43 AM
    The tech guy wasn't being negative.. he was just stating that the competition is introducing a new device soon and BB needs to do the same thing very soon... As software updating a 1 year old device isn't going to help rim long term.
    I think that tech expert is wrong to a point.

I think what Microsoft has done with the XBOX 360 is a great example of how to get great mileage out of old hardware, with some 'software updating'.

Today's hardware is very capable, and often I would say... not enough time is spent on pushing its capabilities. Unfortunately yes, this update in many respects will only 'true up' the device to where it should have been from launch though.
    02-17-12 09:46 AM
    But what he intimated is that RIM's Playbook is now obselete with the arrival of the Ipad3 and it's that intimation that I have a problem with. Updating software on a hardware as powerful and robust as the Playbook's is a good way with keeping up with the times so to speak.

I'd argue that most average users do not need a new iteration every 12 months of a tablet. And although I'm loathe to admit it, I give Apple credit for they have managed to convince people that they need a brand new piece of technology every year - this tech guy, along with many others, has been caught, hook line and sinker into this mantra.

I have no doubt that with 2.0; I will get, at minimum, another year out of my Playbook. And should additional updates come out during this year, the time span of my use of the Playbook will only increase. Eventually, I'll get whatever next hardware model RIM comes out with - but I see no evidence that what I have currently, or what RIM has produced currently, as being out of date as implied by the tech reviewer.
    02-17-12 10:08 AM
    I think that was a very good piece. Acknowledged the "issues" facing RIM and the Playbook, and showed how positive this update would be.

SERIOUSLY looking forward to this.
    02-17-12 10:08 AM
    Anyone else notice the failed app launch at the end of the video?
    Yea I noticed Let's Golf fail to load. I have that game though. I thought it was called Let's Golf HD. I might be wrong and I am too lazy to go get the playbook to find out.
    02-17-12 10:15 AM
    Marketing yes, hardware maybe not. We will have to wait to see the specs and results from testing. I say that right now the 1 year old hardware in the PB is still on par with newer models. Will the iPad version 3 cameras be better than the PB? Who knows. Right now, for me the software is all that is missing.
    02-17-12 10:31 AM
    Yea I noticed Let's Golf fail to load. I have that game though. I thought it was called Let's Golf HD. I might be wrong and I am too lazy to go get the playbook to find out.
    It was golf HD he was trying to open.
    The HD is in the Icon itself and not in the text
    02-17-12 10:31 AM
    Ehm... Because it might be really useful info for consumers, that there is a new iPad coming in a few weeks? You know, many people would appreciate knowing that, before they run out to buy a one year old tablet that's getting it's software updated...
    This wasn't a commercial is was a news story about RIM's release of OS2
    My point is that CTV have repeated the negative publicity, ad nauseam, for 10 months. Well, they finally have an opportunity to spread a positive RIM story but they couldn't leave it at that.
    As far as mentioning iPads...they do that all day long, on this station, so do they have to do it again during a RIM piece? I don't think it was necessary.
    02-17-12 10:40 AM
    I think that was a very good piece. Acknowledged the "issues" facing RIM and the Playbook, and showed how positive this update would be.

SERIOUSLY looking forward to this.
    CTV has been acknowledging the PB and RIM 'issues' every other day for the past 10 months. I think everyone knows the 'issues'.
    02-17-12 10:46 AM
    ctv is drinking the koolaid.. every other commercial is their ipad app
    02-17-12 11:27 PM
    This wasn't a commercial is was a news story about RIM's release of OS2
    My point is that CTV have repeated the negative publicity, ad nauseam, for 10 months. Well, they finally have an opportunity to spread a positive RIM story but they couldn't leave it at that.
    As far as mentioning iPads...they do that all day long, on this station, so do they have to do it again during a RIM piece? I don't think it was necessary.
    Yeah completely agree, as the "get our new ctv app for your ipad in the app world'" commercial comes on. sorry apengue I was writing it at the same time as you!
    Last edited by shn; 02-18-12 at 12:25 AM.
    02-18-12 12:23 AM
    lol ctv. Sorry bell. But i watch Global News.
    02-18-12 12:32 AM
    lol hey its all good shn. You have to wonder why a professional media corporation would show an app crashing on the little amount of screen time the PB actually got. Just talk about subliminal messaging! What a gimmick.
    02-18-12 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD