I am very seriously considering purchasing the Playbook; however, it is dependent on whether or not there is a CSV Reader/Editor currently available for the device.

My main reason behind investing in the PB is to enable me to view and edit email attachments -- I mainly receive PDF, Excel (both well supported out of the box on the PB) and .CSV files...

Also, is there a way to access the PB app world from a PC to review the apps that are currently available?

Thank you in advance for your help
    08-08-11 05:10 PM
    Using the Files and Folders app's new Google Docs support, you can easily convert a CSV on your PlayBook to a spreadsheet, viewing either online or after conversion back on your PlayBook in the Sheets to Go app. Works pretty well for a first version!

Sorry: wrote the answer as though you were already a PlayBook user and knew more about it. Note the following. The PlayBook includes versions of Sheets To Go, Word To Go, and the presentation/powerpoint equivalent. They're somewhat limited, but generally decent for viewing stuff, if not editing. The spreadsheet unfortunately has no CSV support yet, but what I described above is how you could convert a CSV as easily as doing a pair of copy/paste operations.

As for App World, you can view the apps on the web, but you can't yet filter the web view to show only PlayBook apps, making it close to useless for that purpose. We hope with the new App World that's coming out shortly, they'll finally fix that, but don't bank on it.
    Last edited by peter9477; 08-09-11 at 01:13 PM.
    08-09-11 01:10 PM
    ...and a one-tap convert feature is in the works ;-)
    08-11-11 12:38 PM
    Using the Files and Folders app's new Google Docs support, you can easily convert a CSV on your PlayBook to a spreadsheet, viewing either online or after conversion back on your PlayBook in the Sheets to Go app. Works pretty well for a first version!

Sorry: wrote the answer as though you were already a PlayBook user and knew more about it. Note the following. The PlayBook includes versions of Sheets To Go, Word To Go, and the presentation/powerpoint equivalent. They're somewhat limited, but generally decent for viewing stuff, if not editing. The spreadsheet unfortunately has no CSV support yet, but what I described above is how you could convert a CSV as easily as doing a pair of copy/paste operations.

As for App World, you can view the apps on the web, but you can't yet filter the web view to show only PlayBook apps, making it close to useless for that purpose. We hope with the new App World that's coming out shortly, they'll finally fix that, but don't bank on it.
    So does that mean that I need to be online in order to convert the CSV to a PB friendly format?

Is there no app that will allow me to just open an attachment that is in CSV format on the Playbook -- I purchased an app for my Bold 9700 that does a good job of opening CSV files, but the screen on it is too small to properly review/edit the files...

Looks like yet another reason not to get the Playbook -- ARGH!!! I really, really, WANT to WANT one!
    08-13-11 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD