Thanks for the crap review for Instruments @skyscraper04

2 Star
    "the reason i bought this because the creator promised to add the guitar but didnt comly"

I have been working on it, I'm a one man team with a day job so it's extremely difficult to develop apps and reviews like that make me want to ditch PlayBook development and just concentrate on iPhone where the revenue is at least 10 x the amount it is from App World.
    I only had to read the following thread a week or so back to feel a tad sorry for you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ar-app-626777/

Same guy, same grief...

Regards,

jmc
    09-30-11 04:36 PM
    Funny all this review talk made me look up instrument app. It's very nice. Will post "proper" review.
    09-30-11 05:43 PM
    Thanks everyone for being so supportive, and for leaving reviews for my apps, I really appreciate it!

I am continuing development for the playbook, I'll be releasing a new app in the coming months.
    10-03-11 04:26 AM
    thank you for keeping faith in the playbook. im sure ur time spend making the app will reap benefits for u.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 06:51 AM
    After reading this, I've decided to go leave some reviews for the apps I've purchased (including What's Up). I've found a lot of apps I really like and haven't reviewed them - didn't really consider what some positive feedback means to developers.
    +1 - count me in...
    10-03-11 07:59 AM
    I'm aware I can deny reviews but it is slightly annoying to read that review.
    I know exactly how you feel. I had a few of those. My free app recently gets a bad review "doesn't work with Skype" (0 star), even though in my description it specifically said it's not compatible with Skype, and other apps.

I denied the review, but from what I read a while back, that score is still being used to calculate your average. So it still affects your star rating.

I wish they have a way for the developer to respond to the bad review.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-07-11 07:06 PM

2 Star
    "the reason i bought this because the creator promised to add the guitar but didnt comly"

I have been working on it, I'm a one man team with a day job so it's extremely difficult to develop apps and reviews like that make me want to ditch PlayBook development and just concentrate on iPhone where the revenue is at least 10 x the amount it is from App World.
    Most platform stores are worse than Appworld from that perspective by far, and you cannot deny reviews....
    10-07-11 07:12 PM
    I just got this brutal review. Naturally, I am going to deny it. Not one in over 5000 people who downloaded What's up or the demo version has had this complaint. Would the reviewer please contact the support email address and I will authorize RIM to give you a refund.

Title: brutal
    Created Date: 2011-10-08 00:19:14.511073
    File Bundle: Filebundle[id=266657, name=Whatsupv101]
    Release: 1.0

Review Body:
    purchased and can't get location to set. unusable. want my money back
    10-07-11 07:36 PM
    When someone leaves me a knucklehead 1 star review on one of my apps I routinely deny it. And RIM lets me. They review it when the developer denies a review so I'm sure they wouldn't let me if they thought I was just trying to look better than I really am.

I have no problem with fair criticism but on apps with mostly 4-5 star reviews I'm not gonna let some dimwit tarnish the score with nonsense.
    10-07-11 09:30 PM
    When someone leaves me a knucklehead 1 star review on one of my apps I routinely deny it. And RIM lets me. They review it when the developer denies a review so I'm sure they wouldn't let me if they thought I was just trying to look better than I really am.

I have no problem with fair criticism but on apps with mostly 4-5 star reviews I'm not gonna let some dimwit tarnish the score with nonsense.
    What you say is true, but it can take several days for the ticket to be processed - especially when the clown puts the review up just prior to a weekend. And these nasties do have an impact on sales.
    10-07-11 09:54 PM
    What you say is true, but it can take several days for the ticket to be processed - especially when the clown puts the review up just prior to a weekend. And these nasties do have an impact on sales.
    Yes thats true. But at least we can have them removed. Not possible in many other app stores
    10-07-11 09:59 PM

2 Star

Just my two cents but you need a thicker skin and dont let it get to you. I aimm to please at least 80 percent of my customers on any platform free or otherwise. I dont promise whats coming and I dont include half working features because i want it to be crystal clear. I will always do my best to improve my apps, but you shouldnt let your development choices rest on a single user feedback. At the end of the day there are bigger fish to fry
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-11 05:52 AM
    I'm actually curious as to why or how long RIM will allow us developers the ability to deny any review of our choosing. I tend to think this is a strategic decision to cater to people need to keep happy (developers), and it also makes the overall state of apps in their ecosystem look better, even if it is disingenuous.

I actually got a zero star review a few days ago, legitimately pointing out that there were issues setting up my app. I pulled the Lemma from App World while an updated version with a fix is pending approval; afterwards, I figure I'll deny that review as I consider the issue "fixed". Weird system they've got designed here.
    10-08-11 10:41 AM
    I'm actually curious as to why or how long RIM will allow us developers the ability to deny any review of our choosing. I tend to think this is a strategic decision to cater to people need to keep happy (developers), and it also makes the overall state of apps in their ecosystem look better, even if it is disingenuous.

I actually got a zero star review a few days ago, legitimately pointing out that there were issues setting up my app. I pulled the Lemma from App World while an updated version with a fix is pending approval; afterwards, I figure I'll deny that review as I consider the issue "fixed". Weird system they've got designed here.
    I think that there are legitimate reasons for reviews to be denied. The main problem is in RIM's adjudication process. I think that they routinely accept developers' requests without looking at prior review history. This abrogation of responsibility is one reason that so many developers are tempted to manipulate their reviews in a fraudulent way. It is very easy for me to find several vendors who engaged in this behaviour - I don't see why App World staff turn a blind eye to this disgusting practice.
    10-08-11 11:04 AM
    BuzzStarField I agree that's unacceptable. When I remove a bad review review it's only when it's ridiculous. Examples: Someone complaining about not understanding how RPN works on my RPN calculator, someone saying the app doesn't do something it never promised to do, someone saying the app 'doesn't work' while it clearly does or someone simply saying something that's not true.

If someone has legitimate complaints the review should stay.

The one thing I'd like i for people to be able to CHANGE reviews afterwards and the ability for a dev to communicate with a reviewer because sometimes there's just a misunderstanding or it's possible to help the reviewer. Currently this is not possible.
    10-08-11 11:10 AM
    The one thing I'd like i for people to be able to CHANGE reviews afterwards and the ability for a dev to communicate with a reviewer because sometimes there's just a misunderstanding or it's possible to help the reviewer. Currently this is not possible.
    No arguments here!

I would like to see a multidimensional star-rating system. For example a separate rating for features, ease of use, appearance etc. This would also help users frame their review text so that it more informative.

Another idea would be one-button access to a help form that would generate a support ticket. This feature would accommodate your desire for two way (anonymous) communication. Far better than the current system where you can't even copy/paste the email address into your request for support. I'm not surprised that so many users write a bad review instead.
    10-08-11 11:40 AM
    I dont know your apps, but i leave bad reviews for bad apps.
    10-08-11 01:56 PM
    I dont know your apps, but i leave bad reviews for bad apps.
    And so you should. Do you also leave good reviews for all of the good ones or are you like most people and don't feel that it's necessary?
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 10-08-11 at 03:54 PM.
    10-08-11 02:41 PM
    That's the problem. A lot of people are eager to spill their guts when they think something sucks but when they like it they don't want to take the time to write a good review. It's a shame.
    10-08-11 03:11 PM
    That's the problem. A lot of people are eager to spill their guts when they think something sucks but when they like it they don't want to take the time to write a good review. It's a shame.
    A lot of people do not realize that our craving for good reviews (when they are well-deserved) is not just a vanity thing. It is a little known fact that placement in the category depends both on quantity and quality of the reviews (with a major emphasis on quantity.) Unlike rankings on the "Featured" page, actual number of downloads has no bearing at all on rankings in the category.
    reelportal likes this.
    10-08-11 04:18 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD