I don't know anything about whether this would be technically possible or not but it might be a good thing for both companies.

RIM will get the ecosystem that they need...Amazon music store is already pre-loaded on OS 7 devices in the US so there is already a business relationship.

Amazon would get more subscribers(not just playbook but new QNX phones). Remember that Amazon is projected to lose money on each Fire they sell so hardware sales is not their motivation for the Fire(at least not currently).

RIM can't keep selling the PB at the recent sale prices and I think they have stated that the prices will go back up after the sale is over. Maybe the PB will be seen as "worth" its original price if it has it's current capabilities plus access to Amazon's ecosystem.

I know it is way more complicated than this but imagine Jeff Bezos taking the stage at Devcon for an announcement....

Any thoughts. Please feel free to tell me I'm an *****.
    10-01-11 07:11 AM
    Possibly, no one will know until Kindle Fire is out to port the apps to Playbook Android App Player.

A more interesting debate would be:

Since Kindle Fire and Playbook share similar CPU and other hardware (excluding cameras and GPS), can Kindle Fire ROM run on PlayBook??

This is a riddle for XDA-Developers fans to solve.
    10-01-11 07:28 AM
    Why would anyone want to put the kindle fire rom on a playbook? You would be downgrading.
    10-01-11 07:41 AM
    Tablets are not about the OS, it's all about the ecosystem. PB sales numbers reflect this fact. It's all about the content and apps.

If some clever fellow could design a boot manager with Kindle Fire ROM (for Amazon's ecosystem) and Playbook OS 2.0.

Then PB would be the perfect tablet!
    10-01-11 08:01 AM
    What does amazon offer? Movies, I can watch and download movies. Maybe not the newest ones I can also watch tv shows. Music, I can buy music anywhere to put on it. Books and magazines, again I can get books and magazines. Buying things, again I can buy things. Apps, well they are coming slowly but surely. Does it cost me more to do this? Nope. Is it all convenient in one place? No. Does it have to be? No.

Even if RIM gets their movie etc. going I more then likely won't use it anyway.
    10-01-11 08:22 AM
    You're commenting like a CrackBerry diehard. "I will mix and match as DIY". Consumers want the convenience of an ecosystem, "one stop shopping and storage of content".

PB has sold tens of thousands, but to sell in the millions, consumers have to believe PB has an ecosystem.
    10-01-11 08:30 AM
    No not a crackberry diehard. If I owned an ipad I wouldn't use itunes except for what I have to but then I think with apple you have to. If I owned an android I wouldn't use much of their market either. On any system I only was what I want and need to. All the other fluff is meh.

I do understand that most people like everything as easy as it can be because people just can't be bothered. Yes, I'm different and don't buy into what everyone else does. Just because everything isn't all in one place doesn't mean it isn't possible to do the same things.

I have no ecosystem on my laptop and never on my desktop either. But yes RIM needs it for everyone else that needs everything in a walmart like place.
    10-01-11 08:38 AM
    I posted almost the same thing yesterday....but in my post I suggested an app for the PB that would give PB users access to the amazon ecosystem. THAT would be a win - win for both companies.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    10-01-11 08:40 AM
    Can you use the amazon ecosystem on a laptop or desktop? I don't know as I said I'm not interested in it. If you can does take an app/software to do so?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good thing as it would. Can you not access this ecosystem unless you own an amazon reader or tablet?
    10-01-11 08:47 AM
    I posted almost the same thing yesterday....but in my post I suggested an app for the PB that would give PB users access to the amazon ecosystem. THAT would be a win - win for both companies.
    Sorry, didn't see it...but you must be very smart.

Could something be in the works with Amazon? I mean what happened to 7digital? Not even a OS 7 app that I can find. Why not throw one out there unless you figured it wasn't worth it (because you were going to be supplanted) or you were being prevented by RIM (because of agreements with other companies).
    10-01-11 08:51 AM
    kbz1960, we understand you are not interested in Amazon's ecosystem. Your point is clear.

However, wxman123 and I are pointing out PB has no ecosystem. Consumers want an ecosystem for a tablet. This is why iPad sells so well, it's not about iPad's specs or OS.
    If Amazon is going to rip-off Playbook hardware for Kindle Fire, then let's turn the tables to PB's advantage: port the Kindle Fire apps or boot manager for Kindle Fire's ROM.

All we are stating is this, PB needs an ecosystem to be successful.
    10-01-11 09:00 AM
    OK you get that done then. Is there any reason the playbook or any laptop or computer can not access the amazon ecosystem? BTW the kindle fire does not have the playbook hardware, some similar yes but not the same. Same processor, same size and does it stop about there? I can't find the post someone did with the specs side by side.

I'm sure the fire will do great. It's cheap and it's cheap for a reason because you will buy everything from them which means profit for them recouped on their loss of the price.
    10-01-11 09:14 AM
    port the Kindle Fire apps or boot manager for Kindle Fire's ROM.
    Or, an even crazier idea, just buy a Kindle Fire
    10-01-11 09:25 AM
    I would prefer to pay the extra $100 for $299 PB with more hardware (GPS, cameras) than Kindle Fire. Technically, the Kindle Fire Apps should work on PB.

Or, an even crazier idea, just buy a Kindle Fire
    10-01-11 09:38 AM
    I don't think they will. Unless the Fire apps are written for the Android phone OS, they won't be compatible with the Android Player.
    gjohnsto likes this.
    10-01-11 10:08 AM
    Fire apps are standard Android apps with the hitch that they are distributed only through Amazon's App Store.

This is similar to the PlayBook's Android apps, when they finally become available. They will be standard Android apps that are distributed only through BlackBerry App World.

In both cases, these are walled gardens that exist separately from the main Android ecosystem. Assuming both of them use some sort of signing (we already know RIM will), it's likely that they will not be interchangeable without hacking.

RIM has said it since day one -- their release Android Player will only work with apps that have been submitted to, and sold through, Blackberry App World.
    10-01-11 10:32 AM
    The Kindle Fire will be a close cousin to the Playbook in that many regular Android apps will not work in both platforms.

RIM and Amazon did not sign a deal with Google --- so regular Android apps that require Google Maps, in-app purchases won't work on the Playbook nor the Kindle Fire.

RIM and Amazon will have their own separate ecosystems and they won't ever intermixed. However given both ecosystems are "crippled" by the same limitations (i.e. won't support Google Maps, in-app purchases...), the regular Android apps that don't use those functions will run on both Playbook and Kindle Fire. And that's just repackaging those apps to a different package --- much like repackaging a .rar file as a .zip file.
    Last edited by samab; 10-01-11 at 04:44 PM.
    10-01-11 04:30 PM
    RIM and Amazon will have their own separate ecosystems and they won't ever intermixed. However given both ecosystems are "crippled" by the same limitations (i.e. won't support Google Maps, in-app purchases...), the regular Android apps that don't use those functions will run on both Playbook and Kindle Fire. And that's just repackaging those apps to a different package --- much like repackaging a .rar file as a .zip file.
    That is a great point. If Amazon wants to deliver with the Fire, experience-wise, they'll have to resolve this issue in short order.
    10-01-11 04:36 PM
    You won't see Amazon resolving this issue --- ever.

The business model of entirely cutting Google out of the revenue stream is the best part of the Kindle Fire.

Jeff Bezos Just Disintermediated Everybody, Apple Employee No. 8 Explains - Forbes
    10-01-11 04:40 PM
    Google maps isn't the only mapping.
    10-01-11 05:51 PM
    For what it's worth, i think a partnership between amazon and rim would be SICK!!!! As has been pointed out, the app ecosystem wouldn't be hugely improved over the android app player, but the access to content would be unreal. However, if rumours about bbtv hold any water, it seems to me there is a conflict of interest, so i'm not holding my breath.
    10-01-11 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD