Check this out--- new e-phone app for playbook!

Comwave ePhone for Blackberry Playbook
    07-28-11 03:28 PM
    Hah, you beat me to it. It looks like it only supports Canada, at least that's the only option it gave me when I started to sign up for the free trial. I sent a letter to their feedback email address - [email protected], to see if it is, in fact, Canada only. I'll post up if I hear anything back
    07-28-11 03:42 PM
    I tried to register but it says my address cant be found in the Canada Post database. Funny how all my bills seem to find their way into my Canada Post mailbox.

Anybody know of a solution to the account creation problem im having?

Mike
    PsyCorps likes this.
    07-28-11 05:14 PM
    works pretty good.

call display displays whatever name you use in set up.

gives you a virtual phone number.

i have called land lines...cell lines. both work pretty good.

it took about 2 minutes to set up.
    07-28-11 06:05 PM
    Any clues on how to register with a US address?
    07-28-11 06:23 PM
    Finally installed it tonight. Seems to work really well. Tried a phonecall to landline. There was a slight delay, but dont think it was any more than skype calling to a land line.

There was some echoing...the same i have experienced with the reelchat app...I think it wasnt a major issue .

The video calling is flash based like reelchat...it seems but didnt test it as didnt have other contact running the service

Overall seems like a great step forward as a skype alternative for now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 08:41 PM
    it works and the only way to get around the having to have a canada address is to use a canada address! i googled places in canada and used an address.. works like a charm!!!
    07-28-11 09:52 PM
    It has an enter instant message box on the bottom left. Don't know what it's for. Tried to use it like a text but it didn't work. Anyone know what it is?
    07-28-11 10:21 PM
    Tried it it works. Very cool.
    07-28-11 10:27 PM
    US customers will be able to activate and Try App by this Friday. Sorry but enjoy and we look forward to your feedback.
    07-28-11 10:58 PM
    Really nice - tried to make and receive calls over wifi and its very close to a cell phone conversation via speakerphone... kudos to the Comwave team!

I see two problems :

1. the app appears to be a regular browser flash app embedded in native PB app shell - as result its very laggy and not tablet "touch" optimized. I hope in the future more native interface is planned

2. in order to receive the call the app has to be running and the OS multitasking has to be set to showcase. Would be nice to have small in memory process which runs all the time and launches full app when call is received.
    07-28-11 11:05 PM
    for those successfully installed.can you pls check if calling to the philippines is included on the free calls.
    07-28-11 11:44 PM
    Any chance that users outside Canada and the USA will be able to install and use this app? Could be a success if it competes on a similar basis to Skype.
    07-29-11 05:23 AM
    Definitely agree with crackb3ri and his comments fix those two and app would rock.

Also, embed access to skype contacts the way imo.im does and skype will quickly become irrelevant.

With further improvements, this is an app I would purchase for sure
    07-29-11 08:02 AM
    Thanks for all your feedback. US activations comming later today. International Activations are under review. List of "Free Calling Countries" found Welcome to comwave

Enjoy!
    the_thunderbird likes this.
    07-29-11 09:05 AM
    fantastic. Will certainly be giving this app a try.

Thanks for supporting the PlayBook!
    07-29-11 12:16 PM
    Well after only making one voice call, the other person wanted me to call them back on the house phone because of the choppiness. Not only that the UI is not designed for the playbook at all, everything is soo small. The responsiveness of just the app is terrible. It goes into fullscreen mode when typing the phone number so you have to go (s..l..o..w). The app itself is only 125KB, I don't know why it would be so laggy.
    07-29-11 12:36 PM
    The App utilizes the Playbooks capability to render flash. The Playbook does takes some time to load it and we are looking at ways to compress so that it loads faster. This is BETA and we appreciate your feedback. With ref to the "full screen" mode, this is a limitation of the Playbook right now and how it handles "double tap" inputs. Dialing slower will solve the problem. As far as audio quality; this is almost entirely based on the WIFI connection quality. Use of a headset will also help. We're trying... Enjoy!
    07-29-11 01:51 PM
    USA yet?
    07-29-11 02:29 PM
    Hi Comwave. The phone part of the app is working. I noticed that the video automatically starts when you start up the app and stays on. I also noticed the in-call chat box and the enter instant messages here box. I would like to know how they function. There is nothing on your website to show their uses.
    Last edited by NFLPLAYBOOK; 07-29-11 at 03:07 PM.
    07-29-11 02:52 PM
    We're trying... Enjoy!
    We appreciate your team's "trying" especially when so many others aren't giving the PlayBook the time of day at least not yet. When the NDK comes out do you lot plan on redesigning an application for the PlayBook specifically that is not simply the AdobeFlash version crammed into the QNX-TabletOS application? I think you lot would have a real winner on your hands!
    07-29-11 03:04 PM
    The App utilizes the Playbooks capability to render flash. The Playbook does takes some time to load it and we are looking at ways to compress so that it loads faster. This is BETA and we appreciate your feedback. With ref to the "full screen" mode, this is a limitation of the Playbook right now and how it handles "double tap" inputs. Dialing slower will solve the problem. As far as audio quality; this is almost entirely based on the WIFI connection quality. Use of a headset will also help. We're trying... Enjoy!
    Thanks for being involved! I will try this again later since so many people seem to like it.
    Just for the record I personally don't mind the load time. I think your close to a great product but for me I won't change the time it takes to dial, it should not lag for something like that, I'm sure you agree. I wouldn't suggest you scrap the flash based BETA in favour of using the NDK (it isn't even in BETA yet) but I hope its an option. I too would really like to see what you can do with C/C++ if its possible for you. As I understand it if IOS apps will be "easy" to port over to the PB then it should work both ways.

...only one guys opinion tho
    07-29-11 03:40 PM
    For those that are wondering: as of 4:30pm Eastern time, there is no love for the US. I'm sure it will be active soon.
    07-29-11 03:54 PM
    Thankful for this thread and the possibility of having a US number.
    07-29-11 04:00 PM
    EDIT: NOT in the dropdown to choose your number though.

US showing in the drop down!!
    07-29-11 04:02 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD