I downloaded 'CompRemote' app from AppWorld and installed it. It is an amazing app.

Essentially, it turns your Playbook into a keyboard and trackpad remote control for your laptop wirelessly. So you can connect the laptop to your LCD/LED TV and then remotely control your laptop using your Playbook.

Best of all, it is free! I highly recommend that to everyone.
    03-18-12 05:03 PM
    That's an awesome idea.

For the moment I have not been able to connect to any of my Windows PCs. Could you be more specific about what must be entered, and what are the conditions for it to work ?

The only thing I am sure is that I knew the IP addresses correctly. Should I add http ?

UPDATE : Oops sorry I hadn't seen that there was a PC programm to download...
    Last edited by Bakamushi; 03-18-12 at 06:43 PM.
    03-18-12 06:40 PM
    Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. Can you control the Pb with your BB while the PB is controlling the PC?
    03-18-12 06:46 PM
    This is a genius app. Just what I need for comfy HTPC and also for presentations !

THANKS !!!!!!!
    03-18-12 06:50 PM
    Yes, you will have to run this tiny little Java executable (JAR) file that asks you to enter a password. You should enter the IP address and the same password in the PlayBook and voila it will connect.

You can do everything with the remote control. Keyboard, left click, right click, scroll etc.

It works beautifully.

That's an awesome idea.

For the moment I have not been able to connect to any of my Windows PCs. Could you be more specific about what must be entered, and what are the conditions for it to work ?

The only thing I am sure is that I knew the IP addresses correctly. Should I add http ?

UPDATE : Oops sorry I hadn't seen that there was a PC programm to download...

I really think that is possible, but have not tried it because I don't have a blackberry.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. Can you control the Pb with your BB while the PB is controlling the PC?
    Last edited by BlackberryOS2PB; 03-18-12 at 09:33 PM.
    03-18-12 09:28 PM
    Does all of the above AND controls volume with the rightmost panel AND full keyboard when you want it. Totally free. He should charge for it. So very tiny as well. 6 stars ( out of 5! )
    03-18-12 10:51 PM
    Yes, you will have to run this tiny little Java executable (JAR) file that asks you to enter a password.
    Aye, and there's the rub! You have to etner a password using a standard keyboard every time you start it in order to then be able to use your PB as a keyboard? Am I the only one who sees the catch here? Call me Yossarian much? It's enough to drive you Section 8!

Yeah, I thought it would be a great way to avoid having to plug a wired or wireless physical keyboard into my media PC, but since the app won't work until you use a keyboard to enter a password into the server component makes it entirely useless. so it's back to a wireless keyboard under the couch for surfing Netflix.

(If the developer coded the server-side application to take the password as a command line argument at launch, you could make this workable by putting the password in a text file, and then putting a batch file into the Startup group that invokes that text file via inbound redirection.)
    Last edited by cletis; 03-19-12 at 01:29 AM.
    03-19-12 01:23 AM
    Aye, and there's the rub! You have to use a standard keyboard every time you start it in order to be able to use your PB as a keyboard? Am I the only one who sees the catch here? Call me Yossarian much?

Yeah, I thought it would be a great way to avoid having to plug a wired or wireless physical keyboard into my media PC, but since the app won't work until you use a keyboard to enter a password into the server component makes it entirely useless. so it's back to a wireless keyboard under the couch for surfing Netflix.
    Not true. Although it asks you for a password, in fact you don't have to enter one. So no keyboard is needed. You do, however, need a mouse at least in order to start the program on your computer, or put a link to it in your Startup folder in your start menu to have it run all the time.(this is true for CompRemote Lite, which is free and is mouse control only- I assume it's also true for the paid full app).
    That being said, a better app for this is Freemote Control, which, as the name implies, is free. It has mouse and keyboard control plus a button screen for controlling Windows media player and Media Center.
    cletis likes this.
    03-19-12 01:44 AM
    Not true. Although it asks you for a password, in fact you don't have to enter one. So no keyboard is needed. You do, however, need a mouse at least in order to start the program on your computer, or put a link to it in your Startup folder in your start menu to have it run all the time.(this is true for CompRemote Lite, which is free and is mouse control only- I assume it's also true for the paid full app).
    That being said, a better app for this is Freemote Control, which, as the name implies, is free. It has mouse and keyboard control plus a button screen for controlling Windows media player and Media Center.
    I can't believe that I never thought of launching it with a blank password! What a maroon! This makes this tool useful again; thanks! BTW, CompRemote Lite is not just mouse only; it gives you a remote keyboard as well. (And having the program auto-launch was a given; the whole point I was going for was to make it automatically available every time the PC boots.)

That said, I will probably try Freemote as well, and see which free mouse/keyboard remote app works better for me.
    03-19-12 02:07 AM
    I saw his website and he doesn't have a link for donations. I could make a small donation to thank him for that appreciable work !
    03-19-12 02:29 AM
    OK, so now I'm the maroon. I didn't know you could bring up the PB native keyboard and use it with Compremote Lite. Doh. Freemote actually uses its own keyboard, which many might consider better than the native keyboard in that it's larger and it includes all the standard windows keys.
    03-19-12 02:34 AM
    Contrary to the name Freemote Control is not free, it's $0.99.
    03-19-12 05:06 AM
    Contrary to the name Freemote Control is not free, it's $0.99.
    It's free or paid, depending on whether you install the Trial or Full version -- between which there is no difference. No time-bombing; no feature limitations; nothing. All this is clearly spelled out if you read the brief description the app.
    03-19-12 08:35 AM
    Like I had mentioned above (and so did others), CompRemote has all the functionality built into it. Left-click, right-click, trackpad and also a fully functionaly standard PB keyboard.

The trick is standard to make the keyboard appear (just like in 'Splashtop HD') swipe from the bottom left corner bezel to the middle and the keyboard appears.

Aye, and there's the rub! You have to etner a password using a standard keyboard every time you start it in order to then be able to use your PB as a keyboard? Am I the only one who sees the catch here? Call me Yossarian much? It's enough to drive you Section 8!

(If the developer coded the server-side application to take the password as a command line argument at launch, you could make this workable by putting the password in a text file, and then putting a batch file into the Startup group that invokes that text file via inbound redirection.)
    03-19-12 09:32 AM
    I just tried it out. Works very slick! I could see myself using this when I plug my laptop into my TV and want to sit on the couch OR when I'm doing presentations... using the PlayBook to control my laptop.
    03-19-12 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD