HTML5 could make the Web the new iPad app store - Jun. 28, 2011

I thought this was an interesting article. The big ones is Amazon at the bottom of the article saying they are developing a full Kindle looking app for the web.
    06-30-11 06:28 PM
    Check out Art of Stars in HTML5 - NakshART from your PB for a cool example
    06-30-11 07:11 PM
    In the first year of existence, the iPhone only supported third party web apps made with HTML, javascript, css (the key elements of HTML 5). Nobody cared, and developers demanded a native SDK. The rest is history.

I am 100% in favor of web apps in cases where some aspect of the app is heavily based on internet content. I just don't think they are robust enough to compete with native apps in all those other cases where the internet aspect is not key.
    06-30-11 07:13 PM
    In the first year of existence, the iPhone only supported third party web apps made with HTML, javascript, css (the key elements of HTML 5). Nobody cared, and developers demanded a native SDK. The rest is history.

I am 100% in favor of web apps in cases where some aspect of the app is heavily based on internet content. I just don't think they are robust enough to compete with native apps in all those other cases where the internet aspect is not key.
    they mention that at the end of the article "that somethings will still need to be native to take advantage of the hardware."

But things that don't need the hardware why bother writing 5 different apps.
    06-30-11 07:18 PM
    they mention that at the end of the article "that somethings will still need to be native to take advantage of the hardware."

But things that don't need the hardware why bother writing 5 different apps.
    They're not writing five different apps.
    06-30-11 07:32 PM
    Time to consider shorting AAPL.
    06-30-11 07:33 PM
    And its good to see HTML5 showing its robustness, since most comparisons to Flash have been focused only on video and ads...
    06-30-11 07:45 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook: The HTML5 Developer Scorecard | Blog | Sencha

Appears that the RIM designers/engineers are very good and that the co CEOs know something about what they've been talking about.
    06-30-11 07:48 PM
    And its good to see HTML5 showing its robustness, since most comparisons to Flash have been focused only on video and ads...
    yeah try the new espn site it brings everything together.

Also i find interesting they say html 5 allows off line reading
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-30-11 at 07:55 PM.
    06-30-11 07:50 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook: The HTML5 Developer Scorecard | Blog | Sencha

Appears that the RIM designers/engineers are very good and that the co CEOs know something about what they've been talking about.
    guess there are positive reviews out there.
    06-30-11 08:02 PM
    I'm assuming that the web apps can be downloaded and stored locally?

Not everyone with a PlayBook, iPad, etc.. will have access to the internet 100% of the time they need to use an app.

And I don't see how the ESPN and Financial Times "Web apps" are any different from visiting a "Web site".
    06-30-11 08:04 PM
    I'm assuming that the web apps can be downloaded and stored locally?

Not everyone with a PlayBook, iPad, etc.. will have access to the internet 100% of the time they need to use an app.

And I don't see how the ESPN and Financial Times "Web apps" are any different from visiting a "Web site".
    you can do offline caching with html 5.
    06-30-11 08:10 PM
    Can you say disruptive technology
    Am I wrong to believe this to be a bit of breathing room on the app front.
    06-30-11 08:24 PM
    Our itrolls won't like this.
    06-30-11 08:30 PM
    Our itrolls won't like this.
    why this what steve jobs pushed for when he told flash to shove it
    06-30-11 08:32 PM
    The itrolls have html5 also but it may blow the you need an app to do everything away.
    06-30-11 08:32 PM
    The itrolls have html5 also but it may blow the you need an app to do everything away.
    yeah its called a browser
    06-30-11 08:34 PM
    Sorry didn't mean to call you an itroll. I was just commenting on the post that said it.
    06-30-11 08:36 PM
    why this what steve jobs pushed for when he told flash to shove it
    Flash will still be there and it doesn't require apps either.
    06-30-11 08:46 PM
    Flash will still be there and it doesn't require apps either.
    True and I still think before flash goes away the playbook and ipad will be junk by then.
    06-30-11 08:48 PM
    anyone else remember the three minute app video at bb world. they did say you could have it update itself after a tweak.
    06-30-11 08:54 PM
    True and I still think before flash goes away the playbook and ipad will be junk by then.
    I doubt it. QNX. You must read the learn QNX thread. The PB hardware is also quite robust. A huge difference between BB stuff and all the rest is its robustness.
    06-30-11 08:59 PM
    Oh I forgot about that shootsscores, I guess I should've said they will be old and there will be playbook 3 or 4 and ipad 4 or 5. But if QNX or RIMs version can keep up for that long the hardware will be outdated perhaps?
    06-30-11 09:02 PM
    Multi core processors will progress but I'd venture to say that battery power will be the limiting factor there. Even if efficient quad cores are developed, QNX will still be able to run processes on the dual if the processes are not too consumptive of resources which brings us back to batteries again.
    06-30-11 09:08 PM
    Multi core processors will progress but I'd venture to say that battery power will be the limiting factor there. Even if efficient quad cores are developed, QNX will still be able to run processes on the dual if the processes are not too consumptive of resources which brings us back to batteries again.

no they will need to update hardware that's just the nature of the beast
    06-30-11 09:16 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD