I am the DEVELOPER of this app, and it is NOT just a WebLauncher.

If you don't like my app you don't need to buy it.
    This one wasn't for a free Playbook, it was submitted over a month ago.
    I made this app because there wasn't anything for wikipedia at all when I submitted it. Which, asI already said, was well over a month ago.
    It's not just a web launcher. I spent a weekend setting up positioning to try to get it to work on OS6 (which didn't end up working, but RIM says they're going to try to fix it). Riht now I'm working on setting up a dropdown menu with back buttons and other crap, although I don't have much time between writing two 30 page papers for law school and helping my pregnant wife take care of our 16 month old.
    Most of the Playbook apps I have can be downloaded free.
    Someone asked how many copies have sold - the answer is 52. Minus App World's take, that's maybe $70. That's for about 12 hours I spent making it and communicating with RIM. I've spent a couple more hours trying to get the dropdown menu working right. I'd be making more money working at McDonalds.
    And heck, just like any other app I have, cb members csn PM me and I'll send you the bar.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 02-12-12 at 12:53 AM.
    pkcable and JDukeOSBB like this.
    02-11-12 10:01 PM
    Nevermind the fact they are charging 1.99 for this app:

Buy Wikipedia - Download Wikipedia - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

But they are also submitting this for a free PlayBook. I just want to say, as a developer who works hard one every application he submits - I find this insulting. Not only did RIM approve this "Web Link" but that the fact the author would charge as much for this link as application like Simple Browser just makes my blood boil.

I can tell you - this application would take less than 10 seconds to create. And this type of garbage is something we need to find a way to stop. I just needed to vent as I've spent all week working on an awesome app that I'm releasing for free, and I see this come through appworld...

</endrant>

Thank you for letting me vent.

Ed.
    Its depends upon the innovation. But it may not take the too much time to implement, but may be the d8 may charge for his an idea.
    If you don't have any innovation then give it to be free. To make an rip of an other application is very easy. Because no need to (use your brain) think of it. And there are so many open sources are available in the market, so it is very easy to write the code.
    Don't blame any one. Its top most paid application in appworld. That credits goes to an idea maker. Not for the dvlpr. So i.e you don't have an innovative idea, and your application is a rip of an other application . May be your giving as a free.... That's upto you....
    Don't waste your time for writing this kind of stupid things.
    So wake up with a good innovation (Like 1 touch torch) and your application as a 1million paid downloads.....
    02-12-12 12:04 AM
    Just like needing an icon for facebook, twitter, youtube. Now Wikipedia and having to pay for it. I guess ther are people stupid enough to pay.

I just use google. Who needs an app or icon for any of these?
    02-12-12 12:09 AM
    Come On... Really?
    Secure Browser is a rip of normal browser, and your talking about an other app?
    Its take may be 2hrs to complete and First make it free and talk.....

Dont comment on other apps.
    02-12-12 12:10 AM
    You guys should read my post a few lines up.
    I'm the dev of this app. It's already more than just a launcher and will be updated further now that RIM accepted it.
    And for the record, simple browser does have a lot of features that are very cool and useful.

I appreciate the support I've had, I acknowledge that this thread was mainly inspired by a huge misunderstanding by KermEd (who I feel no ill will towards), and I hope people will stop making mistaken claims about an app they haven't tried.
    02-12-12 12:16 AM
    You guys should read my post a few lines up.
    I'm the dev of this app. It's already more than just a launcher and will be updated further now that RIM accepted it.
    And for the record, simple browser does have a lot of features that are very cool and useful.

I appreciate the support I've had, I acknowledge that this thread was mainly inspired by a huge misunderstanding by KermEd (who I feel no ill will towards), and I hope people will stop making mistaken claims about an app they haven't tried.
    Hey dont worry.
    Stupids(like KermEd) are any were. This thread creator does not have any innovation on his applications. Just making an rip of a browser is $1.99. So dont waste time for thinking for thins people(stupids). So Don't worry.
    You no need to say sorry to any one. You are spent on time, so you need to earn. So don't worry.

If you like my answer please like.:
    02-12-12 12:35 AM
    I appreciate the support and sentiment, but KermEd actually is a good developer, probably better than me.
    And like I mentioned, this is a misunderstanding. KermEd thought the Wikipedia app simply launched the browser, and probably suspected it wouldn't be updated. While understandable conclusions, they are both factually incorrect. If he knew the full story, I believe he wouldn't have posted as he did.
    I'd even go so far as to say I expect he'll change the original post to something that actually represents the true facts of the matter once he realizes what's going on.
    Thanks for your support, and others for theirs.
    I intend to continue contributing as best I can to the BlackBerry community, which also means making free (and paid) apps in the future.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-12-12 12:42 AM
    Sure, I'll bite. Why not.

I <edit:thought> the two of you hang around closely, so I'm going to respond to you at the same time here. Really, no offense intended in this response, so I'll try to keep it concise.

So wake up with a good innovation (Like 1 touch torch) and your application as a 1million paid downloads
    First off, I'm sorry, but your post is extremely incoherent so it will be difficult to give a quantified response. You are wrong - all of my apps have free counter parts. I believe you are referring to Secure Browser? Which has a free version available here for everyone - and has for many months with 6 free service packs. As you are picking on peoples contributions - do you actually do anything here? Are you saying your a millionaire? Are you developing at all? If you can please retype your post in clear thought out sentences we can hopefully have an actual discussion based on the contents.

Its take may be 2hrs to complete and First make it free and talk..... Dont comment on other apps.
    Lets get one thing straight, Secure Browser takes up ~9600 lines of code across 16 .AS files. It has 11 service packs, 160 hours of development and is tested on 3 different operating systems for 140 test cases with a total of 12 beta testers.

It is for sale for $1.99, which has returned about ~1$ per dev hour (dev time versus sales). This is the same price as this Wikipedia app -which the author has stated only had 12 hours of development time. You don't want to compare this to Secure browser my friend - that is a battle you wont win. I've added more features than this Wikipedia app has add downloads. If you bought Secure Browser and hate it so strongly, contact me via the support channel and you can get your refund.

Secure Browser *does* have a free version, which is still being developed for free for the community. In fact the source code for Secure Browser has been shared now 16 times with other developers to create a better app community. Which contributions did you provide to the community that give you a credible argument and make you a reliable expert on the community here? I'm just seeing a lot of nothing. And as far as I can tell, you have had nothing to do with the PlayBook.

<edit:clarity>Not saying all apps require 360hours dev time to be 1.99 - but shared to nullify your repeat statement about Secure Browser being "2 hours of code". Clearly your not a developer.</edit>

If you don't like my app you don't need to buy it.
    Fair enough, I am not targeting you personally and I apologize if my rant seems that way. I know you worked hard on your app but when you compare 12 hours of work with the 160 odd hours I've put into Secure Browser (plus the 200 odd hours I've put into free applications) you have to understand where the frustration came from. <edit:Albiet I believed it was about 25mins>

You have a right to charge for your app, and you have a right to charge what you feel like. I could have worded my posts better. To be honest - if I knew this was yours I would have taken it easier. But given the description & information - this looks like a pretty bad simple QNXWebStageView redirect to any developer in the community.

For clarity, I ran a test yesterday. I'm a slow coder. It took me exactly 12 minutes to create a locked web-app in 30 lines of code, including error trapping for 404 and custom pages. I assumed this was the extent of the app.

It is dangerous with the community in general to charge for a Wikipedia app, although it sounds like your app does a lot more htan appears. The community would react the same as if someone developed and posted someone elses Open Source app - its generally considered a no-no. But as it sounds like you have done a lot behind the surface, I <edit:will> take some time to try it out and make a final determination. In which case I would recant my statements.

<Edited for clarity>

I'd even go so far as to say I expect he'll change the original post to something that actually represents the true facts of the matter once he realizes what's going on.
    Absolutely, I'm going to install it, test it and give it a fair shot. If I made an error in judgement - I will update both the front post and add a back-post to this to clarify. I am normal and make mistakes a lot and I'm not embarrassed to say I made a brash decision.

Ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 02-12-12 at 01:19 AM.
    DD1968 likes this.
    02-12-12 12:57 AM
    I appreciate the support and sentiment, but KermEd actually is a good developer, probably better than me.
    And like I mentioned, this is a misunderstanding. KermEd thought the Wikipedia app simply launched the browser, and probably suspected it wouldn't be updated. While understandable conclusions, they are both factually incorrect. If he knew the full story, I believe he wouldn't have posted as he did.
    Thanks for your support, and others for theirs.
    I intend to continue contributing as best I can to the BlackBerry community, which also means making free (and paid) apps in the future.
    Don't sweat it mate. There are FAR worse apps in app world than yours - loads of hot air in this thread. Keep it up (and updating).
    KermEd and SCrid2000 like this.
    02-12-12 12:58 AM
    Don't sweat it mate. There are FAR worse apps in app world than yours - loads of hot air in this thread. Keep it up (and updating).
    Thanks man
    I didn't think App World would accept a Wikipedia app, so it's fairly bare bones at the moment. Once I finish two papers fatty (one on the Mexico-Drug Cartel conflict, and another on free speech and religion in school) and catch up on some reading, I'll be adding a dropdown menu, and some other features rattling around my brain.

Plain and simple: there was no Wikipedia app, and other platforms have them. I wanted to fill that void. If anyone would like to make a cheaper and/or better Wikipedia app, I in no way shape or form would be even slightly opposes to that.

And thanks to KermEd for being understanding about this.
    02-12-12 01:19 AM
    Update --- I have updated the front post. Now that I have seen some of the upcoming changes and work so far, I've changed my personal objection as this is no longer as simple as I had believed. I don't want to speak for everyone but I'm going to withdrawl my complaint!

Ed
    DD1968 and kbz1960 like this.
    02-12-12 02:05 AM
    Scridly I can't believe it was you! J/K Nice to see at least this one has been found to be more than a launcher. Maybe some of the misunderstanding was since iOS has so many launchers that some people feel our OS doesn't need those?

I really hope someone at RIM/Appworld find a better to at least not have ebooks, maps and the real crap dominate when looking.
    02-12-12 08:07 AM
    Lol you're good Kbz - I probably would've thought the same thing if I'd seen it, I need to update the description a bit.

If anyone on CrackBerry wants to have a copy or check it out, you can download if from my webpage and sideload it.

Update:
    I added buttons for back, home, refresh, and forward. The update will be in App World within a few days.
    Still having trouble with the dropdown menu, I'm gonna try a different approach for it later. I didn't do this for the donate to Wikipedia page because I don't want to tamper with Wikipedia's donate page at all.
    Also, added a split screen mode so you can compare two articles at once if you feel so inclined.
    The update cleans up the code a LOT, the original coding wasn't very clean because I didn't know if RIM would accept it to app world.
    The update has been posted to my server.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 02-12-12 at 01:31 PM.
    kbz1960, Darlaten and KermEd like this.
    02-12-12 08:50 AM
    What trouble are you having with the drop down, perhaps I can help ?
    02-17-12 08:58 AM
    I tried implementing the sample code from Sample Code - Swipe down menu for BlackBerry WebWo... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums but it won't launch until you activate another element.
    02-17-12 10:57 AM
    I tried implementing the sample code from Sample Code - Swipe down menu for BlackBerry WebWo... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums but it won't launch until you activate another element.
    Did you ensure to add your code to the body tag?

aka:

<body onload="setHandlers()">

Also, my comments are withdrawn. Nice job.
    02-17-12 11:30 AM
    Did you ensure to add your code to the body tag?

aka:

<body onload="setHandlers()">

Also, my comments are withdrawn. Nice job.
    Thank you
    Yeah I have the tag in the body <>. I'm gonna take a couple more cracks at it probably next week when I need a break from legal research lol.
    02-17-12 12:04 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD