12-31-11 09:46 PM
45 12
tools
    First, this is only applicable to U.S. PB owners that have Comcast cable. Simply said, I was able to stream a TV sitcom on my PB by logging into my online account at Comcast.com, going into the hyperlink TV and select any TV program that I currently pay for on my TV account.

For example, I watched a 23 minute clip of "how I met your mother" because that is part of my programming package. Therefore, anything I comes through my programming on my TV I can in essence stream online.

While I knew this for sometime now I never thought to try it on my PB until just afew minutes ago and it worked. The interesting part about this is that they (Comcast/Xfinity) in turn pull this down from Hulu. What a kick in the pants! I can log in and stream TV from Comcast which gets it from Hulu but I cant stream from Hulu.

Anyway, just wanted to share that info along to those in the U.S. who may have a PB and have Comcast as a provider. Just a shame Hulu and Netflix dont have an app or allow me to stream directly from my acct that I have with them directly. I can log in for example to both but they say my device is unrecognizable but yet I can stream online with Comcast which in turn pulls it from Hulu.
    11-29-11 07:23 PM
    How are you doing this? When I go to my account and click play on a tv episode, it tells me I need to upgrade my xfinity player.

Would be an awesome way to pass the time!
    11-29-11 07:36 PM
    Hold on a second let me try it again really quick anx write it down so I can post it online. Hold please...
    m_kock and Serkle K like this.
    11-29-11 07:44 PM
    Okay here goes...
    1. go to comcast.com
    2. go to my acct
    3. login in with ur credentials
    4. once logged in click on the upper right corner of your browser and click the TV icon
    5. from there my icons of TV shows are loaded, especially the shows in my queue as I select them from my regular pc
    6. if this doesnt help call comcast and ask them to walk you through this first on a regular pc then watch them on there first to make sure it works and while ur there load up a few ahows in your queue.
    7. logout of ur regular pc and log back in on ur PB and u should be good to go.

I hope this helps
    Serkle K and glassofpinot like this.
    11-29-11 07:57 PM
    Just an FYI Comcast is one of several partners/owners of Hulu so for others that may be interested in seeing who else holds stock in Hulu and if they are in your Country look up Hulu and see who else owns stock in Hulu and perhaps they have the same partner arrangements like Comcast. Not sure if it will help others but its worth a shot.
    11-29-11 08:06 PM
    It keeps hanging up with "Starting Playback" forever. Any suggestions?
    11-29-11 08:26 PM
    not to sound like a sarcastic you know what but try another selection as I cannot speak to that issue. i suspect its either too big and hangs up, or not enough bandwidth? i am just spit balling ideas as i dont know what that is about. it happened ti me too so i selected something else.

it could be b/c i have a 16 GB tablet who knows, but I know I was able to watch how I met your mother. another thought I had was it was a selection I didnt pay for but again I am just spit balling ideas for that message I dont know sorry.
    11-29-11 08:32 PM
    I have a 16gb as well and anything I try does the same.
    11-29-11 08:39 PM
    does it work on a regular pc? if not you may have to call comcast to walk you through it on a pc first. also is what you are trying to watch something you pay for and have a subscription for on your regular TV package. if the answer is no, then you wont be able to stream it as they have some kind of smart filter on it that knows what you pay for...please advise. thanks!
    11-29-11 08:43 PM
    Seems you need to upgrade the player to watch HD.
    11-29-11 08:45 PM
    I have Comcast also and it plays great!!! Enjoy (as I will).
    11-29-11 08:50 PM
    I can confirm this works. I was able to watch Rules of Engagement. I tried it with Boardwalk Empire and it said I needed to upgrade the player, but I was trying to watch it in HD.
    11-29-11 08:54 PM
    Yeah my roomate has a droid 2 and is able to stream comcast TV to it as well from the site on his smartphone when logged in from it. My thought is that if it states starting playback is that it may be a bandwidth issue or a processor issue? I havent figured it all out yet but I tried the same movie that gave me the same message from my regular PC and it lit up and played like a charm but not on my PB. Im still learning too and guessing what might be causing this message to appear. Sorry I dont have an answer for you yet.

What I do know that when on a regular pc if u try to play say HBO and its something you dont pay for on ur regular subscription a key will display on your screen saying you need a subscription...this is why I am guessing its either a lack of bandwidth issue at your home or a processing issue. I did see someone post that you may need to upgrade ur player. see if that helps. I just know that to watch TV shows on your PB is possible with comcast as your provider.
    11-29-11 09:01 PM
    Yep, very cool. You can also go into the TV guide and use your PB as a remote to change the channels and record shows if you have a Comcast DVR, like you can with the iPad app.
    Serkle K likes this.
    11-29-11 09:02 PM
    TBone thanks for that update Im learning a lot from everyones responses. Keep it going folks together we can help each other out. Great info! How you making out Melanogaster. Any luck yet?
    11-29-11 09:09 PM
    As I sit in the dealership waiting for my car inspection etc I logged back into the site and completed my profile settings which is a bunch of questions on how you watch TV, which channels are your favorite, etc and now I have by default more shows automatically in my queue. I did notice a bit of jerkyness, audio working while video lagged or completely stopped but I am on an open network here which every customer seems to be on.

Other than that its really great. Which reminds me I need to call Comcast and find out why I can watch it on their site great but not on their Hulu site b/c my device is able to play just fine on Comcast. Let the double talk begin...JOY! lol
    melanogaster likes this.
    11-30-11 09:11 AM
    @Ricardo, Thanks for the help. I can watch shows just fine on my PC but it hangs up on the pb. Perhaps I need to switch my router from g to n since my PC is wired to ethernet but I have no problems streaming Netflix to my TV with g. Will let you know after I upgrade router.
    11-30-11 10:50 AM
    I'm still unable to access content on my PB browser. Stuck on "starting playback", or I am told to upgrade my player. I even tried with the Desktop Browser app with my agent set to Firefox 5 and in one case it required silverlight, another it was stuck on Starting Playback (attempted different shows).

I can watch fine online through my desktop, which I just tried again. Both the PB and computer are connected to the same Comcast internet.

So no luck here still...

edit: The Victoria Secret Fashion Show works (from CBS), so it appears some sources work and others don't...
    11-30-11 11:00 AM
    This is great - thanks.

THis thread could almost be moved to the Apps section so it doesn't fade as fast into history..
    Ricardo_N likes this.
    11-30-11 11:02 AM
    To followup - Before switching to an n router, I tried it at a good wifi hotspot with the same results. Perhaps try various providers like cbs. abc. nbc and see if I can duplicate Daedalus' results.
    11-30-11 03:08 PM
    i get to the point where it says the video is loading and the dots going accross the screen but it wont play
    11-30-11 05:40 PM
    I've been doing this for sometime. Some things play, others don't, just that simple. I've had the most success with HD content.
    11-30-11 05:58 PM
    All, sorry I've been absent for a while. Nevertheless, I read over a few comments since of yesterday and if it helps. I use a Netgear Router, wireless N-150 model WNR1000v2.

I do agree with one post that states it should be moved to apps so that it doesnt fade away. Obviously it works and there is some value here. Working together we will figure this out. What do you say? Does anyone know how to do this too?
    11-30-11 08:55 PM
    I do agree with one post that states it should be moved to apps so that it doesnt fade away. Obviously it works and there is some value here. Working together we will figure this out. What do you say? Does anyone know how to do this too?
    ...then you should get or see a message that it was moved
    11-30-11 10:56 PM
    As requested, moved to Apps & Games!
    glassofpinot likes this.
    11-30-11 11:31 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD