just watched the devcon vid. am i understanding this correctly? if i have CR on PB linked to my home pc, i can use every program and resource thats on my pc on the PB? if so, why would i need netflix, skype etc app for PB? any website i could use via MSIE, couldnt i? i could play online poker? would have access to all my media and everything on my pc?

thanks in advance for your answers. it appears CR is all i would ever need.
    10-21-11 02:05 PM
    Only if your home computer is a Citrix Server.
    10-21-11 02:08 PM
    For corporate deployment, citrix is huge. I was able to get it working on the PB within the secure network at my office and impressed my boss that i was able to run multiple instances of citrix apps on the pb (the ipad and the android receivers doesn't have this, but you can do this on any desktop or laptop). Citrix is dragging their feet with the 1.0 release. Really hope they finish soon!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 02:14 PM
    just watched the devcon vid. am i understanding this correctly? if i have CR on PB linked to my home pc, i can use every program and resource thats on my pc on the PB? if so, why would i need netflix, skype etc app for PB? any website i could use via MSIE, couldnt i? i could play online poker? would have access to all my media and everything on my pc?

thanks in advance for your answers. it appears CR is all i would ever need.
    Load up Tight VNC on your home computer, and download aVNC on your PB. That's the free way to do it.
    10-21-11 02:33 PM
    I'd like to see something resembling their performance on my Citrix Receiver app. Mine is barely readable due to some kind of graphics issue. Not sure if its the app or something with our server...
    10-21-11 03:11 PM
    Load up Tight VNC on your home computer, and download aVNC on your PB. That's the free way to do it.
    In theory yes! That would be the answer to all our problems... (except keyboard and autocorrection that are a real pain in you know where..) BUT : It is soooo slow that you will give up and blow out all in less than 10 minutes... and remote connection with server too far from you is almost impossible... so aVNC is not functional... Sorry.
    10-21-11 03:34 PM
    I'd like to see something resembling their performance on my Citrix Receiver app. Mine is barely readable due to some kind of graphics issue. Not sure if its the app or something with our server...
    I had my IT ppl look into it and they were able to get it working within the firm's secure wifi. I had outlook working, then clicked on a link for live meeting, and was able to see the document being shared over live meeting. I then opened up acrobat as another citrix sessions, and was swiping away back and forth within the receiver to read the two different documents. Citrix just need to finish the app rather than releasing tech previews.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 03:34 PM

is it easy and staright forward to do? i dont like the citrix or logme in model of a subscription fee. id rather just pay one time.
    10-21-11 03:35 PM
    In theory yes! That would be the answer to all our problems... (except keyboard and autocorrection that are a real pain in you know where..) BUT : It is soooo slow that you will give up and blow out all in less than 10 minutes... and remote connection with server too far from you is almost impossible... so aVNC is not functional... Sorry.
    so gotomypc is a better choice for what im thinking?
    10-21-11 03:55 PM
    its a killer for developers and geek. which is about 10,000 of the 1 million of pb sold. which is 1%.
    the 99% of the buyer never understand what a citrix is, never mind the receiver. angry birds and cut the rope would have send the 99% euphoric.
    so it's not the killer app...killer app would be android market..
    10-21-11 04:51 PM
    so gotomypc is a better choice for what im thinking?
    gotomypic isn't available in app world yet.
    10-21-11 08:39 PM
    It is killer. Take a look at what Cisco announces for its Ceus as killer functions, and CR is right up there. Of course, it would be game over if RIM goes dual protocol and have a VDI or Vsphere client as well.
    10-21-11 08:47 PM

That's just remote viewing and control. Not audio.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 09:10 PM
    There is some great FREE software called VNC that you can run on your computer and there is a client that I believe is also free for the playbook that allows you to do remote control of your pc from anywhere, even from just a web browser.

On the PC side I use REAL VNC and the client on the PB I use is called aVNC and I believe it's available in appworld.

-Jeff
    10-23-11 10:24 AM
    Only if your home computer is a Citrix Server.
    I think this info is not right.

Citrix receiver will address most current remote configurations, .
    Not to say, it will support RDP (Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol) that will allow you to display and control your own Win machine over the Internet.
    I read something like 'it sooooo slow' ... well, it mostly depends of your plan. Here, I have a 5 Mbs upload / 100 Mbs download fiber standard unlimited plan (around 40 / month) and I must say that testing RDP (with the android app, French are not granted to beta the citrix app), I've been amazed of how this was sharp and fast. Only restriction, if you plan to use it daily, you really need to consider a BT keyboard with trackpad, as Win7 and previous are really not meant to be touchscreen driven.
    10-23-11 10:41 AM
    its a killer for developers and geek. which is about 10,000 of the 1 million of pb sold. which is 1%.
    the 99% of the buyer never understand what a citrix is, never mind the receiver. angry birds and cut the rope would have send the 99% euphoric.
    so it's not the killer app...killer app would be android market..
    I guess you've never tested this ...
    Just imagine you can use ANY tool you have on your computer ...
    [side note : MS RDC, unlike VNC allows sound and even peripherals like printers share]
    10-23-11 10:46 AM
    Now, my answer, personal : YES it IS !
    (but I'd better see an RIM OS native client for "simple" MS RDC protocol)
    10-23-11 10:47 AM
    There is some great FREE software called VNC that you can run on your computer and there is a client that I believe is also free for the playbook that allows you to do remote control of your pc from anywhere, even from just a web browser.

On the PC side I use REAL VNC and the client on the PB I use is called aVNC and I believe it's available in appworld.

-Jeff
    Sorry Pal, it seems to me that you didn't read the posts.... again, avnc is slooooooow and doesn't hook on long distances...
    10-23-11 11:30 AM
    looks like gotomypc needs java enabled browser. maybe citrix will put out an app.
    10-23-11 12:17 PM
    If you want access to your pictures and music orb mycast is a great program and there is an app
    10-23-11 12:35 PM
    Sorry Pal, it seems to me that you didn't read the posts.... again, avnc is slooooooow and doesn't hook on long distances...
    It seems to me that you didn't read his post. He is stating what he uses. He either a: doesn't have the problems with speed and connection that others have posted about or b: doesn't care. He is not saying what is the best alternative to Citrix Receiver, he is just stating what he uses.

I am all for trying out different methods of viewing my home PC and work Laptop on my PlayBook from anywhere. I have seen a few different setups and will try them all to see what works best for MY needs.
    10-23-11 12:40 PM
    It seems to me that you didn't read his post. He is stating what he uses. He either a: doesn't have the problems with speed and connection that others have posted about or b: doesn't care. He is not saying what is the best alternative to Citrix Receiver, he is just stating what he uses.

I am all for trying out different methods of viewing my home PC and work Laptop on my PlayBook from anywhere. I have seen a few different setups and will try them all to see what works best for MY needs.
    Sorry... you didn'read the posts too, this is insane, the guy is saying there is an app called Avnc... if you read some posts before we have allready talk about it... why are you so beligerant ? Today is sunday go to church and calm down !
    10-23-11 12:56 PM
    Yes or No, is there an app called aVNC available for the PlayBook?

Yes or No, have you read the posts yourself? Because I have and you are the only one complaining about the speed and connection.

Yes or No, do you know for a fact that I haven't gone to Church today?

Why are you being so belligerent? advcomputer was simply stating HIS setup method and that was it. You are the one that has something against aVNC and is continually bashing the app. Fine, we get it, for you, aVNC doesn't work. Maybe you don't know how to set it up, that's understandable. Others though, have gotten it to work for THEM. So, maybe you should go to Church and calm down.

Now, lets all get along and move forward amicably.
    10-23-11 01:11 PM
    >>doesn't hook on long distances...

What exactly does that mean? I have been using and it's variants for years w/o issue

-Jeff
    10-23-11 01:54 PM
    ok guys no more debates on this avnc issue, I am not a newbie and deserve all due respect. Simply put app doesn't work as I expected.. Will wait for updates..
    10-23-11 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD