I should have asked before spending a bunch of time making one but is anyone interested in a chip8 emulator on the playbook and if so what do you want to see as a part of it. Just curiouse since this is more of an experiment than anything. Would you pay for one ($0.99 of course)?
    12-28-11 11:57 PM
    My two cents, but I think the problem with charging for Chip-8 is that most people who understand what it is are less inclined to pay for it. Why not put it out for free but try and sell, as apps, games or bundles of games running on the emulator?
    12-29-11 01:41 AM
    I have had numerous computers since the VIC-20 and have never heard of this. Of course, that means nothing really, but I've been geeking for many years. It is a very cool concept (now that I have googled it), but methinks it might be a tough sale. Good luck sir, I would never wish to dampen the aspirations of any developer for any reason!
    12-29-11 02:03 AM
    Could you please explain to the less tech savvy (like me) what the heck it is and what it does?
    12-29-11 05:58 AM
    I guess you'd call it a programming language that very few people remember or even heard of.
    12-29-11 11:52 AM
    Chip8 was originally a virtual machine that ran assembly type code. It was created to make game development easier.

In short its like a super nintendo emulator but super old. There are roms which are like "programs" or games (I think they are all games) that run on chip8 emulators. You get games like snake and pong and all of those.

I refuse to sell the emulator bundled with games because I did not make the games and I do not have permission from the authors to sell their code. I strongly believe in taking no code from anyone.

To be honest this project is my first big project and along the way I learned to use a lot of new tools and I think it will turn out great. I was thinking try to sell and after a bit just give it away. I feel like that is a little unfair for those who buy though... Any thoughts on that?
    12-29-11 08:29 PM
    IMO, if you have a product that people are willing to invest their money in as an honest transaction that benefits both parties.....go for it! If you want to do a type of charity/giveaway, that's cool too. I'd say put it out there and let the free market do what it does. (I still have no idea what the heck you're talking about, but the principles still apply). BUT, try not to make too much money (more than your fair share) or somebody might have to occupy your front lawn and demand that you redistribute it.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-29-11 08:42 PM
    While chip8 might be nice, I think something like Commodore BASIC could be a better hit, I know I'd buy a slice of BASIC
    12-29-11 09:42 PM
    There is an app but its a custom version of basic that has been c-ified I believe
    12-29-11 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD