It's in the huge shadow cast by MorphWiz and some game about unhappy birds that I've just published Caustic 2 onto AppWorld.

Caustic is a music creation app where you sequence synthesizers and samplers to make songs.

It's been around for about a year on Android and the app is constantly getting better.

The learning curve might look steep if you've never used one of these apps before but there's YouTube tutorials and a demo version that lets you try the app for as long as you like so have a look. It's a lot of fun and runs great on the PlayBook.

This is a native port, pushed mostly by Crackberry users and with lots of help from user Manytone, so thanks all, hope you enjoy it.

Caustic demo
    Caustic full version
    Last edited by CausticRej; 04-25-12 at 06:18 AM.
    04-25-12 05:40 AM
    Very cool app. Thanks for the pb support.
    04-25-12 05:58 AM
    Wow!! Thanks, I've been waiting for this!!!

04-25-12 07:03 AM
    Thanks for providing a "demo" version, I'm definitely going to check this app out. I love my MUSIC
    04-25-12 07:07 AM
    ...bought the full version, and OMG: at last an excellent music app on the PB!
    Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by Denus; 04-25-12 at 07:42 AM.
    harist3a likes this.
    04-25-12 07:08 AM
    Does this run in the Native OS or Android?
    04-25-12 08:00 AM
    Also - Thanks to the Dev - very cool app (from the You Tube Video)
    04-25-12 08:02 AM
    Does this run in the Native OS or Android?
    As stated in the the OP, it's a native app (and a very nice one).
    04-25-12 10:37 AM
    Thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting for this!
    04-25-12 10:51 AM
    Bought the app in the morning, unfortunately the download failed and i had to go to work, can't wait to get home to try this app, it looks awesome, thanks CausticRej.
    04-25-12 11:39 AM
    After playing with the DEMO, I have to bring this back to the top just to mention how incredible it actually is. It's almost like I'm using Reason on my PlayBook. The demo doesn't have a timer and the only thing you're stripped of when compared to the paid version is the ability to save/export. The PAID version will definitely be worth it when I purchase it tonight.

Again, incredible application for the musician on the go and... TO THE TOP for this thread.
    04-25-12 02:24 PM
    It's in the huge shadow cast by MorphWiz and some game about unhappy birds that I've just published Caustic 2 onto AppWorld.

Caustic is a music creation app where you sequence synthesizers and samplers to make songs.

It's been around for about a year on Android and the app is constantly getting better.

The learning curve might look steep if you've never used one of these apps before but there's YouTube tutorials and a demo version that lets you try the app for as long as you like so have a look. It's a lot of fun and runs great on the PlayBook.

This is a native port, pushed mostly by Crackberry users and with lots of help from user Manytone, so thanks all, hope you enjoy it.

Caustic demo
    Caustic full version
    LOL - If quote: "lots of help from user Manytone" means the fact that I constantly hounded you to make it for Playbook, and then once you did I hassled you for an early version, then once I enjoyed it I kicked you in the arse to hurry up and get it released..... then yes..... you are welcome, I enjoyed helping ;-)

Seriously though it was a pleasure working with you on this Rej! Your support and dedication is above and beyond! Just so you guys know, during testing and building some of our instruments into Caustic format, I noticed that the sampler was not recognizing loop points that were embedded into wave files. I told Rej and the next day he sent me a build with the sampler now reading embedded loop information. I don't think it was even in the android version but he added it immediately for me/us ;-)

ManyTone is putting some of our samples into Caustic "add on" Packs, so keep your eyes and ears tuned in. We'll be releasing some of our guitars and basses asap. Of course they will be smaller sets than we currently have available in the VST/Sampler market, but they will be inexpensive additional instruments for Caustic. We'll have synths and other sounds also. It is all in the works now.

Congrats to Rej and here is to a great week for Playbook Musicians!
    Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by manytone; 04-25-12 at 03:12 PM.
    Denus, PanaSama, Dr.Deebs and 5 others like this.
    04-25-12 03:06 PM
    LOL - If quote: "lots of help from user Manytone" means the fact that I constantly hounded you to make it for Playbook, and then once you did I hassled you for an early version, then once I enjoyed it I kicked you in the arse to hurry up and get it released..... then yes..... you are welcome, I enjoyed helping ;-)

Seriously though it was a pleasure working with you on this Rej! Your support and dedication is above and beyond! Just so you guys know, during testing and building some of our instruments into Caustic format, I noticed that the sampler was not recognizing loop points that were embedded into wave files. I told Rej and the next day he sent me a build with the sampler now reading embedded loop information. I don't think it was even in the android version but he added it immediately for me/us ;-)

ManyTone is putting some of our samples into Caustic "add on" Packs, so keep your eyes and ears tuned in. We'll be releasing some of our guitars and basses asap. Of course they will be smaller sets than we currently have available in the VST/Sampler market, but they will be inexpensive additional instruments for Caustic. We'll have synths and other sounds also. It is all in the works now.

Congrats to Rej and here is to a great week for Playbook Musicians!
    Cheers
    Paul
    This is great! As I said, it's like a mobile version of Reason and I was going to ask about soundbanks/packs but you've covered it and now there's somehow even more to look forward to about this app! It definitely needs to be blogged on CrackBerry with an @EpicSoftworks-style video to go along with it.
    04-25-12 04:59 PM
    Im giving the demo a try now
    04-25-12 06:31 PM
    I purchased the app, and it's great! It's a lot like Reason, even the logo lol. Thanks for bringing this to PlayBook! I hope this becomes a top paid app!
    BB.Forever likes this.
    04-25-12 11:24 PM
    A huge thank you to the developer(s). I've been curious about this program for nearly a year, but nobody I knew with an Android device had it.
    I played with the demo for about ten minutes then bought the full version. No contest that this is my favorite app.
    I just discovered a couple minutes ago I can make my own drum kits...so the drum box module is essentially a 16 step sampler? Solid Gold. Totally worth getting bitched at by my wife for spending "$9 on a fake drum machine".
    manytone and CausticRej like this.
    04-26-12 12:09 AM
    Yup, the beatbox is just an 8-channel sampler, with higher step-resolution on the way.

Also, the PCMSynth can import WAV files as well as soundfonts so you can turn it into a classical trumpet if that floats your boat. The whole idea was because I'm doing this by myself, I'd rather make it as open as possible, letting users import their own files rather than spend time and money trying to find sample banks. The are lots of free samples all over the net but most have licenses restricting distribution so I can't just include them.

I do have a collection of stuff sent in from users that I'll make available soon as well as ManyTone's stuff which should be coming out soon as well.

TL;DR you bought more than a fancy drum machine, you bought a swiss army knife you can turn into whatever you want...

So thanks!
    Rej
    joski likes this.
    04-26-12 04:22 AM
    I probably should dig into the manual, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here.
    Is there a cut function in the drum machine? What I mean is, can you assign a certain sound to cut another? For instance, on a real 606 the hat sounds all stop one another, or on Fruity Loops and LMMS you can assign one sample to cut another. Thanks.
    04-26-12 07:24 AM
    Awesome APP. Quick Look at the demo and loved it. Best way to show my appreciation........bought the full version. Off to write some music and show off my playbook
    CausticRej likes this.
    04-26-12 10:44 AM
    I probably should dig into the manual, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here.
    Is there a cut function in the drum machine? What I mean is, can you assign a certain sound to cut another? For instance, on a real 606 the hat sounds all stop one another, or on Fruity Loops and LMMS you can assign one sample to cut another. Thanks.
    Yes you can. On the main beatbox there is an options/settings icon at the top. Press it and it opens a page to assign mute groups. Once you assign notes in the pattern editor, your mute groups will be active.
    tedopon likes this.
    04-26-12 11:46 AM
    Yes you can. On the main beatbox there is an options/settings icon at the top. Press it and it opens a page to assign mute groups. Once you assign notes in the pattern editor, your mute groups will be active.
    Thank you.

Is the development cycle for this app over?
    If so, are you working on anything else? I will be buying anything you folks release based on the quality of this alone.
    Denus likes this.
    04-26-12 12:02 PM
    Development is far from over! I've got lots of new synthesizers and workflow enhancements coming up.

I get lots of great ideas from users on the website forum and so things are always moving forward.
    04-26-12 04:04 PM
    I record music allot and right stuff, this is great for what it is, in fact there are a good few tools now on my playbook that I will defo consider putting on cubase and mixing it up..

I do like it when its Native as well as it just feels a bit more secure. Apps like this can make the device even more of a bargain.

Will buy the full version when next pay comes in.
    04-26-12 07:36 PM
    Iam loving this app! May I make a suggestion though?? An undo button in the sequencer or every machine infact would be greatly appreciated
    04-26-12 09:00 PM
    Development is far from over! I've got lots of new synthesizers and workflow enhancements coming up.

I get lots of great ideas from users on the website forum and so things are always moving forward.
    Any plans to do a SID style chip emulator synth?
    Denus likes this.
    04-27-12 09:40 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD