Is there a way to categorize Contacts so I can, at the very least, separate my business contacts from my personal ones?

(Sorry if this is a very basic question but, despite my best efforts, I've been unable to figure this out for myself.)
    03-06-12 08:56 PM
    Anyone (Beuhler, Beuhler?)

If you can't answer my question, can you recommend a decent Contacts app that allows for different categories?
    03-07-12 07:27 AM
    Dont think so...
    its designed to be a conglomoration of everything so not part of the design features.
    03-07-12 07:50 AM
    Aaaaargh - seriously?

Scrolling through 500 business associates to find Great Aunt Bertha's phone number whom I call once every ten years isn't my idea of fun!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has both business contacts and personal ones and like to keep the two separated - what do YOU do?

To be clear, I guess I should add that I don't care if there's a massive great master list with everyone on it but I have the option to JUST see one category of contacts (e.g. family members) at a time.
    03-07-12 08:25 AM
    There is a search tool in contacts (touch the magnifying glass), and I've noticed that the alphabet appears down the left-side of the screen in contacts. Maybe if you touch the alphabet it will allow you to skip through most of the scrolling? I don't have my PB handy right now to try.
    03-07-12 08:41 AM
    I did find one solution for you!

You can make ONE category - "Favourites". So you could make your family your favourites. To make a contact one of your favourites, edit it and touch the star icon to make it a favourite, then save.

To view only your favourites in your contacts -tap the icon top left that looks like a group of people. Then tap Favourites.

(see page 27 "Filter your contacts" in the Playbook User Guide Version 2.0)
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-1.0-US.pdf
    03-07-12 08:49 AM
    Thanks Steph - I was aware of the Seach and Favourites functions but they're just not enough.

Let's say my husband's family are having a reunion and I've been delegated to contact everyone. Many of these people, I've only met a handful of times and I sure can't remember all their names. However, if I'd categorized them as "John's Family", it would be a breeze to simply view just that category of entry.

I know I sound like a broken record singing the praises of my old Palm Pilot but honestly, it was SO simple and intuitive on the Palm OS. Everything on the Playbook seems to be so tortuous *sigh*.
    03-07-12 08:59 AM
    Aaaaargh - seriously?

Scrolling through 500 business associates to find Great Aunt Bertha's phone number whom I call once every ten years isn't my idea of fun!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has both business contacts and personal ones and like to keep the two separated - what do YOU do?

To be clear, I guess I should add that I don't care if there's a massive great master list with everyone on it but I have the option to JUST see one category of contacts (e.g. family members) at a time.
    That's a bit of an oversight. I'm not sure I've ever had a contact manager that couldn't handle categories. The LinkedIn, Facebook and Google integration is nice, but Categories is just a bit basic isn't it?

I only sync my Google Contacts with the PB, only contacts that I would email, and not call ... My master Contact list (600+ names) sits in Outlook, and I only sync that one to my iOS devices. Even my 15 year old Palm handles it better than that.
    03-07-12 09:26 AM
    OK. So I got desperate and ponied up the dough for Personal Assistant.

It sucks it many, many different ways but the principal one being that, even with all that glorious real estate that is the Playbook screen, the font is teeny-tiny.

WTH???????????

Can anyone recommend an app that's not a total waste of money and effort?
    03-07-12 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD