Today I downloaded a preview of a book from Kobo and liked it so I purchased it. After supposedly downloading the full copy, it was still the sample. I contacted Kobo and they informed me the book was supposedly in Adobe Digital format, was incompatible with my Playbook, and instructed me to download a viewer to my laptop and read it from there. Say what?? Felt like bait and switch.

Anyhow, I logged into Kobo on the web from my pb and found I could download the book in epub format and thankfully I have Book Reader so it's all good.

Just wanted to put this out there for anyone thinking of making a purchase from the Kobo app. From now on I'm going to the web to find out the format before downloading because the app will let you buy anything, even if you can't read it. Nice, huh?
    catberryday and DocDRM like this.
    06-10-12 05:12 PM
    Today I downloaded a preview of a book from Kobo and liked it so I purchased it. After supposedly downloading the full copy, it was still the sample. I contacted Kobo and they informed me the book was supposedly in Adobe Digital format, was incompatible with my Playbook, and instructed me to download a viewer to my laptop and read it from there. Say what?? Felt like bait and switch.

Anyhow, I logged into Kobo on the web from my pb and found I could download the book in epub format and thankfully I have Book Reader so it's all good.

Just wanted to put this out there for anyone thinking of making a purchase from the Kobo app. From now on I'm going to the web to find out the format before downloading because the app will let you buy anything, even if you can't read it. Nice, huh?
    Been in the very same situation....And Kobo support told me I had to use desktop computer to read it, or that i could download the e-book from my account and then use some other app on my Playbook to read it....
    After 3-4 months I ended up getting a in-store rebate,... they could not even give a real refund...

Kobo - not very good IMHO ...
    06-10-12 06:46 PM
    So, the sample is compatible with playbook, but the full book is not?
    I call shenanigans!
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    06-10-12 09:40 PM
    So, the sample is compatible with playbook, but the full book is not?
    Yepp - that's the case... several books have the same issue - and - there are NO indication on most books that you cannot use them on PlayBook....

It is even more strange, that Kobo has gotten all the publicity it did, and came bundled with the PlayBook - when it have these flaws, and NO refund options...

The minimum required for bundled apps, or apps fronted by RIM, should of course be compatibility with the device it was promoted on
    06-10-12 10:04 PM
    From the evolution of OS 2.0 Kobo just returns a white blank screen when ever I turn on the app.. Tried reinstalling but no luck...
    06-10-12 10:14 PM
    From the evolution of OS 2.0 Kobo just returns a white blank screen when ever I turn on the app.. Tried reinstalling but no luck...
    Same.

However the android apps sideloads and works pretty well. I think it's superior to the native app.
    06-11-12 02:12 AM
    Kobo sux I am sorry but it is a fact. Kobo is the worst on line book store out there. Don't buy anything from this place do yourself a favor and buy a Nook.
    06-11-12 05:25 AM
    Just to be clear, was the purchase made through the PlayBook Kobo app or through a PC or the Kobo web site?
    06-11-12 06:31 AM
    I just tweeted this forum to teamblackberry. I had the same issue.
    06-11-12 07:18 AM
    Just to be clear, was the purchase made through the PlayBook Kobo app or through a PC or the Kobo web site?
    I purchased thru the pb Kobo app and had read a perfectly good sample on my pb. After I purchased the full version I was told it was "incompatible' with the pb. How the sample is readable on the pb but the full book is in a different format is incomprehensible to me. If you go to the website you can find out what format the books are available in but why should I have to do that when there's an app? The pb app gives no indication that there could be a problem and Kobo let's you make the purchase on your pb. I'm going to be thinking twice before I buy from Kobo again.
    06-11-12 11:34 AM
    Tweeted this to blackberry as well.
    06-11-12 11:46 AM
    Thanks for this heads up...I almost ran into this problem...but this forum post saved me the headache!
    06-11-12 02:16 PM
    Don't deal with Kobo direct; they are awful.

Sideload the Android Kobo app which works well.
    06-11-12 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD