After owning a playbook for about 2 years yesterday for the first time I tried to buy an app (Angry Birds) through Blackberry World. Never bought an app before, only downloaded free apps.

To my surprise the buying process stopped half-way, it wasn't possible. Then I tried the option to buy it through the Blackberry website and got this message:

"You are no longer able to purchase items with your current device. Please go to BlackBerry App World for more information. We highly recommend you upgrade to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com to learn about the latest BlackBerry 10 smartphone offerings."

Now what does that mean? That I'm simply too late? I bought my Playbook new less then 2 years ago and now Blackberry crippled it and advises me to get another device? Please can someone tell me that I'm wrong... I simply can't believe it.
    02-08-14 06:42 AM
    Seems more like you need to update your BlackBerry World app. As per the notice on the BlackBerry World site:

Message to all customers on BlackBerry OS 4 and below using BlackBerry World version 2.1.5.7 or below.

BlackBerry World will no longer be supporting the selling of applications via credit card or PayPal for customers running BlackBerry World version 2.1.5.7 on BlackBerry OS 4 and below. We highly recommend you upgrade to a new BlackBerry 10 smartphone to access great apps, games, music, movies and TV.
    Even though it says OS 4, I just ran into the same issue with my backup Playbook. I pulled it out and tried it, then updated the app and it worked fine.
    02-08-14 01:05 PM
    how do you update the blackberry world app on a playbook?
    02-08-14 02:02 PM
    how do you update the blackberry world app on a playbook?
    You use BlackBerry World to update the BlackBerry World application.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-08-14 06:58 PM
    If you haven't received a notification then you have the latest BlackBerry World

Posted via CB10
    edwinsberry likes this.
    02-08-14 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the answers but I can't update Blackberry World. How could I do that?

My playbook has OS 2.1.0.1753 and as far as I know has the latest blackberry world installed, because I never got a notification to update blackberry world. Also, there is no function to update blackberry world within the app itself, at least I don't see it.

The message as shown on the Blackberry site clearly states that I am no longer able to purchase items with my 'current' device. I get this message after login in with my BlackBerry ID. So to me it doesn't seem to be connected to the version of Blackberry World but to the 'age' of the device. I can live without Angry Birds no problem, but it kind of pisses me off that I cannot use Blackberry World (payed apps) anymore while it is part of the whole deal, isn't it? And why would I try to get another Blackberry device if they can't even keep to the first deal? I still hope someone proves me wrong...
    02-09-14 12:59 PM
    Thanks for the answers but I can't update Blackberry World. How could I do that?

My playbook has OS 2.1.0.1753 and as far as I know has the latest blackberry world installed, because I never got a notification to update blackberry world. Also, there is no function to update blackberry world within the app itself, at least I don't see it.

The message as shown on the Blackberry site clearly states that I am no longer able to purchase items with my 'current' device. I get this message after login in with my BlackBerry ID. So to me it doesn't seem to be connected to the version of Blackberry World but to the 'age' of the device. I can live without Angry Birds no problem, but it kind of pisses me off that I cannot use Blackberry World (payed apps) anymore while it is part of the whole deal, isn't it? And why would I try to get another Blackberry device if they can't even keep to the first deal? I still hope someone proves me wrong...
    Have you tried logging into BlackBerry World on your PC and checking what devices you have attached to your account? Possible that they have an old device listed that is OS4 or below?
    02-09-14 01:02 PM
    I did log into BlackBerry World from my pc as the first thing after I notived paying through the playbook didn't work. That is how I ended up getting the message that I'm no longer able to purchase items. I cannot check which devices are attached to the account; the only options to check are username and password. I created my ID 2 years ago using the playbook so I guess the playbook is the only thing attached to the account. How did you update BlackBerry World like you suggested?

Can someone else try to purchase anything, just to check if it is possible still (cancel before really buying)? I do want to contact Blackberry to ask about it but can't even find a mailadress for customer services...
    02-10-14 01:54 AM
    Yes, had the same problem. I can't believe it... Why would they do this?
    03-02-14 03:24 PM
    I cannot purchase anything!
    03-16-16 03:29 PM
    Oh God...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 06:20 PM
    I've bought a couple apps just recently with no problems at all (?)

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 11:11 AM
    My playbook has OS 2.1.0.1753 and as far as I know...
    The latest PB OS is 2.1.0.1917 so updating your PB may resolve your BBWorld problem?
    03-25-16 01:10 AM