receiving can't browse to local files when trying to browse to file:// urls in browser.

i have folder with several swf files (some downloaded, others i made for pb) which can't browse to now. weird thing is i have a bookmark icon saved on desktop for a game (url is file://.../file.swf) and that still works via the bookmark but not if i manually type the url.

did rim block it with the update. given the bookmark on home screen still works, i hope people can find an easy work around
    06-08-11 06:17 AM
    I can confirm that typing in a

file:/// does not work but I've got my homepage as

file:///accounts/1000/shared/etc/BB.html

and that opens. And my BB.html has a reference to another internal xxx.html and that opens. And links I already had do still work. But manually typing it in results in an error.

You might want to ask this in the main pb forum where it might get more exposure.

edited to add: I created a new thread in the main pb forum. But I fear we are screwed! I used it a lot to get to xxx.txt files and display those.
    Last edited by F2; 06-08-11 at 08:41 AM.
    06-08-11 07:40 AM
    Are you typing in three slashes?
    file:/// not file://
    misskalunji likes this.
    06-08-11 08:49 AM
    Doesn't work for me anymore either. I can still get to my Duck Hunt bookmark, but anything else I type in, I get a box that says "Cannot navigate to local files"

I'm pretty sure RIM plugged this method to install .swf files to the PlayBook. Now, I wish I had installed more that way before I updated.
    06-08-11 08:59 AM
    if you just type "file:"
    it will work
    06-08-11 09:04 AM
    Yup

FILE:

by itself still works. Obviously, rim has been busy!
    06-08-11 09:29 AM
    Also "file:/" works too

I think it might be a good idea to start loading swf files if you want them or this could be just the groundwork for RIM to release a file manager.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-08-11 at 09:51 AM.
    06-08-11 09:47 AM
    thanks guys, will test file: tonight.

I don't want to put lot of bookmarks on the main page, currently i just have a folder were i put all my swfs that i am testing (<< which mostly stay in testing phase lol and not worth putting on the desktop).

I am thinking making one generic bookmark like live.swf and then using air file browser or something and try remaining the file I want to live.swf. Creates more work but if it works...
    06-08-11 04:31 PM
    Very informative, thanks
    06-08-11 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD