So I was doing a bit of experimenting and deliberately caused sideloading to fail (or just not install) by removing specific files from a .bar file. I noticed that after each unsuccessful attempt, when I checked how much GB are left on my hard drive, it decreases by 0.1GB each time. This obviously means that there are files left behind from the unsuccessful sideloading.

Is there anyway to clean up these left over files?
    12-13-11 07:33 AM
    It seems unlikely to me that anything gets left behind if an app sideload fails. It would be easy to check, however... just browse using a capable file browser (e.g. Files & Folders works for this, though AIR Browser does not) to the /apps/ folder and see if you've got something left there that shouldn't be.

More likely, everything is getting removed properly but maybe some stuff is left temporarily in a /tmp folder. If the "Free Storage" report doesn't take this into account, it might be a while before that space is explicitly reclaimed. If I'm right, it's harmless since that space is available as soon as the OS wants it, but it just hasn't decided it wants it yet.

That would be like cleaning out the Recycle Bin on Windows... there's no reason to do that just to recover the space used... the OS will delete the contents as soon as it decides it needs the space.

If a partial install could actually leave stuff in, say, the /apps/ folder, I think RIM would consider it a potentially serious bug and it should be reported as such. If you can demonstrate that's true.
    12-13-11 08:34 AM
    It seems unlikely to me that anything gets left behind if an app sideload fails. It would be easy to check, however... just browse using a capable file browser (e.g. Files & Folders works for this, though AIR Browser does not) to the /apps/ folder and see if you've got something left there that shouldn't be.

More likely, everything is getting removed properly but maybe some stuff is left temporarily in a /tmp folder. If the "Free Storage" report doesn't take this into account, it might be a while before that space is explicitly reclaimed. If I'm right, it's harmless since that space is available as soon as the OS wants it, but it just hasn't decided it wants it yet.

That would be like cleaning out the Recycle Bin on Windows... there's no reason to do that just to recover the space used... the OS will delete the contents as soon as it decides it needs the space.

If a partial install could actually leave stuff in, say, the /apps/ folder, I think RIM would consider it a potentially serious bug and it should be reported as such. If you can demonstrate that's true.
    You are right. I could not find those files but the OS knew where they were and a restart of the PlayBook restored the used up space. Thanks for the response.
    12-13-11 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD