Hoping someone who has done this can give me advice on how to start. I am interested in checking out some of the new DC comics in digital format to see how that is on the Playbook. I'm unsure of how to go about this however. Do I need anything special like an app or program to read them? How do I get the files on to the Playbook, if you can?
    02-16-12 10:26 AM
    There is an app called Comics something like 3 bucks

Look in the apps section of PB forums there's a huge thread about how to get comics on PB as well as several online resources
    Here is the link

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-605681/
    Last edited by ezrunner; 02-16-12 at 10:46 AM.
    tumblingdice03 likes this.
    02-16-12 10:43 AM
    I'm almost positive that the app mentioned above will not allow you to read DC comics on the playbook, DC doesn't have their own app for the PB right now.

You can read DC comics on the web browser using DC comics online. here is the web link for that:

https://read.dccomics.com/comixology/

This is the official web site for DC online.

It works a little wonky on the PB but since the PB does have flash it does work. I use it, but like I said it doesn't work as smoothly as it would on your computer or laptop. The DC comics app or Comixology app for IOS (iPad) is 100x better.

Maybe the new android player will have one of those apps.
    02-16-12 11:03 AM
    Hmm that site doesn't work well on my Playbook for some reason. Hard time getting it to load or to log in, in fact I can't really do anything on that site on my PB. I can't login or get the screen to scroll down to browse either. Sadly I had already been there on my PC earlier and purchased a book only to find it only lets me read it on their site and no download...so even though I purchased the above mentioned app, I've not been able to use it either.
    Last edited by tumblingdice03; 02-16-12 at 11:26 AM.
    02-16-12 11:21 AM
    Do you do anything special to get the DC Site to work on your PB? I get it to load but navigation is not working much at all. Also when I try to login I can type my username then the box shrinks, needing me to scroll to get to the passwork part and I am unable to do this...I could read on the PC I guess but I've never done the digital comic and wanted to start on the PB
    02-16-12 11:35 AM
    DC Comics aren't available yet in CBR/CBZ format, (Which the Comics app is great with). so unless you check the more nefarious areas of the internet and find them, you're out of luck.
    02-16-12 12:23 PM
    Do you do anything special to get the DC Site to work on your PB? I get it to load but navigation is not working much at all. Also when I try to login I can type my username then the box shrinks, needing me to scroll to get to the passwork part and I am unable to do this...I could read on the PC I guess but I've never done the digital comic and wanted to start on the PB
    I kinda warned you not to buy the other comic app.....

I know the Comixology site doesn't work perfectly on PB but I know it does work. I've read about a hundred comics off it. I bought the whole batman and superman series when they had them on for .99 each.

I buy the comics on my laptop and then open them on the PB. Definitely not as smooth as on my iPhone or iPad.
    02-16-12 12:53 PM
    i know we can't tell somebody to do illegal things or link to torrent sites or anything but can't somebody throw him a bone and say that Comics is the greatest comic app on the playbook and can read cbr and cbz and comics in those formats can be found in the dark and shady corners of the internet if you wanna steal from the company making the things you love or can easily be made from your own scans? i have at least 60 dc comics on my playbook right now. the playbook has gotten me back into buying comics after a ten year hiatus. so there's that
    02-16-12 12:58 PM
    I agree that comics are a little overpriced right now at $2.99 a pop at the store but I'm not sure that torrenting them is the best idea.

the comic book shops in most smaller areas are struggling to survive as people move towards the digital versions. I think that I will be moving to full digital comics at the end of this current cycle. I can see why I need to store them and they have little to no trade in value at all.

I actually prefer to just buy the collected trades after they have been out...usually a much better way to read the full story arcs rather than buying month to month. Its really surprising to see how few actual comic book stories there are out there considering how famous the characters are. Really only 1 or 2 story arcs a year and they aren't often fully flushed out.
    02-16-12 01:04 PM
    ive been reading batman comics for like half a year now on an app called mongoose. You will have to download your own comics though.
    02-16-12 02:26 PM
    I kinda warned you not to buy the other comic app.....

I know the Comixology site doesn't work perfectly on PB but I know it does work. I've read about a hundred comics off it. I bought the whole batman and superman series when they had them on for .99 each.

I buy the comics on my laptop and then open them on the PB. Definitely not as smooth as on my iPhone or iPad.
    Yep, you warned me, but I had purchased it once I read the first post and before you had posted the warning. Oh well maybe i can get some use out of it at some point. At that time i thought i could use it to read the new DC, but that was my second purchase and we know now how that worked out. Wonder why they have stuff for other platforms but not ours yet. MYbe soon they will show BB some love!
    I had to leave buying comics around the time Bruce Wayne left so now that he's back and I have a playbook it would be a good time to return also. Ironically the comic I bought today was Superman instead of Bats
    02-16-12 02:53 PM
    OK, finally realized if i turn the PB long ways I can see the login info so now I'm slowly but surely getting to my comic.
    02-16-12 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD