10-26-11 08:24 PM
40 12
tools
    hello all,

bringing up an old thread here.

is there any workarounds found for downloading apps via tether or bridge?

getting a playbook for a friend that doesnt have wifi as they just use their bb as modem while home as they dont surf too much.

video chat would also be nice to use over tether or bridge but app world should really be able to be accessed.
    If they don't have wifi, the PB is DOA as it needs a wifi connection out of the box to complete initial set up of the PB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by narci; 07-10-11 at 08:22 PM.
    07-10-11 06:19 PM
    Ok, just checked this. Tethered my 9700 to my PB with Wifi turned off on the PB. Even though my 9700 is connected to Wifi, I cannot access AppWorld.
    07-10-11 09:52 PM
    I am on Verizon. My BB is too old to bridge but can tether. My PB won't connect to App World through tethering. I don't understand why, other apps requiring a connection work.
    07-10-11 09:54 PM
    drmrdfox:

That is apparently the way rim designed appworld - you need wifi. It may have been to keep carriers from thinking about download size but you can browse using the phone's connection so that is not a true test.

Maybe they will "fix" or change it in the future - we can hope.
    07-10-11 11:27 PM
    I am a Verizon customer, use a Storm 9550, and I have the same issue. I can browse using the normal browser and use other apps, but app world will not connect and video chat will not work while tethering through Verizon. I'm very pissed now that it costs $20 per month extra and can't use these functions.

Guess I need to get a Mifi...
    Its always been 20 extra. to use your VZW BB as a 3G Mobile Hotspot/Modem Mode.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 07-11-11 at 12:42 AM.
    suryv likes this.
    07-11-11 12:35 AM
    There is no current BB that acts as a Wifi Hopspot. So unfortunately if you drop the dough to enable tethering you still won't be able to access some wifi apps on the PB. I tested this directly at a VZW store. I'm sure I pissed the rep off because I kept asking her to enable/disable it as I tested different things. LOL!!! Needless to say, my wife has the mobile hotspot feature enable on her IP4 (EEERRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!) LOL. But when i connect to her IP4 I can access app world all day long. Hence the IP4 can act as its own WIFI hotspot.
    07-11-11 12:41 AM
    From what I understand: "Tether" gives you full range of internet function. While the "Bridge" only gives you email, updates and connection to your phone. It won't give you internet unless you pay for the tether with the provider. You can bridge and wifi for your data, or just pay for the tether and get all the functions. I still haven't decided what I will do when I buy mine.

07-11-11 02:02 AM
    From what I understand: "Tether" gives you full range of internet function. While the "Bridge" only gives you email, updates and connection to your phone. It won't give you internet unless you pay for the tether with the provider. You can bridge and wifi for your data, or just pay for the tether and get all the functions. I still haven't decided what I will do when I buy mine.

Sorry, But I need to correct some stuff over here, Yes BRIDGE gives you a FREE 24 HOURS CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET WORLDWIDE BUT AT&T, as AT&T released their own Bridge app which forces you to pay, but the Official RIM Bridge app works fine, free and UNLIMITED internet access through the normal BIS/BES plan.
    07-11-11 03:31 AM
    From what I understand: "Tether" gives you full range of internet function.
    Except if an app requires Wifi, such as AppWorld, it will not work.
    07-11-11 09:20 AM
    You cannot use AppWorld while tethered. It ONLY works through Wi-Fi.
    07-11-11 10:46 AM
    from my experiences you can only download apps if you are connected to Wifi. I was connected via bridge and my PB told me i needed to be connected to Wifi... the PB has spoken LOL
    07-11-11 11:58 AM
    interesting post. I have Verizon and using the bridge to access the net allows browsing only. No apps that require a web connection (including app world) will work with the bridge browser. is this not the case for everyone? I am on vacation this week with no wifi access all week and have to use the bridge for all access. It crashes often and causes my BB Bold to self reset. I am often tempted to just pull out my laptop and tether it to my BB Bold and have full internet capability.

update: man do i feel better. I just discovered the big difference between the bridge browser and tethering to my phone. I had mistakenly assumed they are the same. Tethering, way, way better. life is good. Go to options to select tethering to connect.
    Last edited by tamcon; 07-15-11 at 11:51 PM.
    07-12-11 04:43 PM
    interesting post. I have Verizon and using the bridge to access the net allows browsing only. No apps that require a web connection (including app world) will work with the bridge browser. is this not the case for everyone? I am on vacation this week with no wifi access all week and have to use the bridge for all access. It crashes often and causes my BB Bold to self reset. I am often tempted to just pull out my laptop and tether it to my BB Bold and have full internet capability.
    Same as everyone else.... No need to tether your laptop to your berry unless you want to download an app from appworld. Otherwise you've got everything you need in your PB Bridge :-)
    07-12-11 04:46 PM
    i just don't understand it why on the bb they don't let you access appworld via wifi, now on the playbook it's wifi only.
    10-26-11 08:12 PM
    I can only get to App World via WIFI. Does not work with tethering or bridge.

Are the ones that say they can do it via tethering sure their WIFI is off?

Tim
    App World does not work when tethered (and WiFi off). An error message which is self-explanatory appears:

"We cannot connect you to BlackBerry App World. Please ensure that your device is connected to the wireless network and try again."

Tethered = no App World
    10-26-11 08:24 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD