Because I can't, but a friend of mine insists they can...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 11:38 AM
    Tether yes, bridge I don't know because I don't own a BB but I am assuming yes as long as you have a connection. I can do anything tethered that I can do connected to a WiFi. My tethered speed is around .85Mbps to 1.8Mbps, pretty smooth for 3G.
    05-08-11 11:45 AM
    Tethered I can. No problems.
    If you are bridged and you want to download an app, then you have to also be connected to a WiFi network.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 05-08-11 at 12:01 PM.
    05-08-11 11:51 AM
    Ok so I turned on my BB Bluetooth and went to my PB and went to tether and hit connect and it connected and when I try to use appworld it says I need to be on wifi???

05-08-11 12:42 PM
    Yes, that is what happens.
    05-08-11 12:44 PM
    So then how can you guys download apps on appworld while tethered??? Tethered isn wifi.. I'm so confused.

05-08-11 12:46 PM
    You need a valid connection to connect to app world with the PB.

You are using your phones data plan when you tather. Bridged is mirroring what your phone is doing, so all you can do is surf, and other bridge functions.

You have to be able to connect to App World either WiFi, or via your phone's plan(tethered). It is not possible when bridged alone.
    05-08-11 12:50 PM
    Ok so when I connect to my phone via BlackBerry tether thru Bluetooth... That's not actually tethering?? I'm not using the bridge..

05-08-11 12:52 PM
    No, while you tether via Bluetooth, which is fine...slower connection as you are running off the speeds of your berry connection, you may continue to use your PB as an online tablet.

Bridged with an active WiFi connection is the same.

IF you are bridged only, then no, you cannot use the tablet over the internet except for the Bridge browser, which means, no app world.
    05-08-11 12:58 PM
    Ok but I am tethered only (no bridge on) via bluetooth to my 9700 thru Bell mobility... And the browser works but app world and video chat etc.. Don't..

05-08-11 01:27 PM
    I get the same thing, you can't use video chat or app world over a tethered connection. When others mention tethering they could be talking about a wifi hotspot provided by their non-BB phone, which WOULD work for both apps.

I know reelportal in the app world will let you do video chatting over tethering though...
    05-08-11 01:30 PM
    Hmmm. PB and BB Torch both bridged and tethered all day long on ATT and I have no problems with any connectivity
    05-08-11 03:20 PM
    I am with Bell Mobility in Toronto, no problems on my end either.
    05-08-11 03:37 PM
    Hmmmm so now what? I tried to today with a Wind mobile BB too and same problem... Am I connected wrong??

05-08-11 09:17 PM
    I can only get to App World via WIFI. Does not work with tethering or bridge.

Are the ones that say they can do it via tethering sure their WIFI is off?

Tim
    Stump3r likes this.
    05-08-11 09:48 PM
    same here can't connect to app world through tether,with telus 9300 my speeds are pretty good 1.35 down. I think some one on this forum said that u can only do wifi but if u guys can do through tether what is your trick
    05-08-11 11:23 PM
    either someone here is not understanding the question or you have some kind of trick on getting into app world via tethering. if i go into the playbooks options and select internet tethering i can not connect to app world. i can browse the internet fine thru the regular browser and even use some apps like facebook, weather, and podcasts but app world does not work. Now this is not the same as bridge! i am fully aware when bridge you can only access the internet thru the bridge broswer and use the messages, calender, bbm etc from your phone. everything else on the playbook does not work when bridged only.
    05-08-11 11:39 PM
    Ok good, I'm not the only one who doesn't understand how people are getting into app world via tether.

M.Rizk likes this.
    05-09-11 07:44 AM
    I am a Verizon customer, use a Storm 9550, and I have the same issue. I can browse using the normal browser and use other apps, but app world will not connect and video chat will not work while tethering through Verizon. I'm very pissed now that it costs $20 per month extra and can't use these functions.

Guess I need to get a Mifi...
    M.Rizk likes this.
    05-09-11 11:23 AM
    AT&T with a Bold 9780. Same here. Tethering works for all connections (weather, regular browser, Facebook application, Music Store, etc...) EXCEPT for App World.
    05-09-11 11:38 AM
    Maybe the folks that can do it are actually using the hot spot capabilities on their phone. I know it works that way, since the playbook sees that as wifi and not tethering.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    05-09-11 12:24 PM
    wifi only here. Have never been able to get app world via tether or bridge
    05-09-11 01:31 PM
    I cannot get AppWorld when tethered on Sprint, but I can on Wifi.
    05-09-11 03:36 PM
    Makes sense...Thanks all..
    05-10-11 10:58 AM
    hello all,

bringing up an old thread here.

is there any workarounds found for downloading apps via tether or bridge?

getting a playbook for a friend that doesnt have wifi as they just use their bb as modem while home as they dont surf too much.

video chat would also be nice to use over tether or bridge but app world should really be able to be accessed.
    07-10-11 05:05 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD