Bought a shiny new 64gb PB. So I thought, hey time to load on on apps, lots of them on sale to!! Its not so easy it appears when RIM is involved. Cant make a visa purchase for the life of me on that piece of crap payment system. I get the dreaded error id 10000 code. After spending way to much time trying every fix and work around i can find. RIM simply doesnt want me to support their app devs or themselves with my hard earned money. Maybe when the day comes to be able to side load android apps, i can support googles devs instead, there payment system works fine. Wonder how many other thousand fire store PB owners will be without apps. And no, i dont want to use my paypal account, i want to use my damn visa. Come on RIM, youve been around long enough to have bs problems like this go uncorrected for months or years!!!!
    rerouter likes this.
    11-23-11 10:14 PM
    well at least u can use ur tablet,i have 3 that are useless,without internet acces for an update none of them will start.come on rim my ipod touch starts without updates and has countless free and paid apps and im sure it would accept your visa
    11-23-11 10:20 PM
    well at least u can use ur tablet,i have 3 that are useless,without internet acces for an update none of them will start.come on rim my ipod touch starts without updates and has countless free and paid apps and im sure it would accept your visa
    This is not the fault of Research In Motion that you bought a WiFi-enabled tablet that requires an Internet connection to activate the device and obtain software updates. This has been known since prior to the release of the BlackBerry PlayBook in April of 2011. If you can afford a tablet, you can afford an Internet connection.
    stevepar and BSFA2008 like this.
    11-23-11 10:45 PM
    Bought a shiny new 64gb PB. So I thought, hey time to load on on apps, lots of them on sale to!! Its not so easy it appears when RIM is involved. Cant make a visa purchase for the life of me on that piece of crap payment system. I get the dreaded error id 10000 code. After spending way to much time trying every fix and work around i can find. RIM simply doesnt want me to support their app devs or themselves with my hard earned money. Maybe when the day comes to be able to side load android apps, i can support googles devs instead, there payment system works fine. Wonder how many other thousand fire store PB owners will be without apps. And no, i dont want to use my paypal account, i want to use my damn visa. Come on RIM, youve been around long enough to have bs problems like this go uncorrected for months or years!!!!
    hmm well paypal works fine but ok...
    My bigger complaint is that they wont put the kabosh on digi-media-arts and all their stupid book "apps"
    pixieloulou and BSFA2008 like this.
    11-23-11 10:47 PM
    huh? so how did you want to get updates? cosmic rays?

This is not the fault of Research In Motion that you bought a WiFi-enabled tablet that requires an Internet connection to activate the device and obtain software updates. This has been known since prior to the release of the BlackBerry PlayBook in April of 2011. If you can afford a tablet, you can afford an Internet connection.
    Its worse than that - he can afford 3 tablets.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 10:51 PM.
    11-23-11 10:49 PM
    My bigger complaint is that they wont put the kabosh on digi-media-arts and all their stupid book "apps"
    While I use Paypal, my wife uses Visa on her Playbook which works fine. I wonder if the OP tried the free RIM tech support before ranting here. I get this kind of thing at work all the time. When the user finally does contact me about a tech problem they usually say something like "crap system has never worked" but failed to report the problem previously. The worst one I had was a user reporting that her Outlook has not been sending/receiving email since a year previous to her reporting it. The problem? She had it in "offline mode" :-).

I guess since RIM has millions successfully using App World they need esp to realize it's not working for this user.
    11-23-11 11:19 PM
    i had a similar problem. i just switched credit cards and it seemed to have solved it. Hope this works
    11-23-11 11:52 PM
    I've emailed the app developers directly because I'm having the same problem. They told me they have seen this problem, since April. It's not some super rare, minor problem. It's sort of a disaster. Why would anyone waste time porting apps to PlayBook, when they can't even sell them to willing customers?
    11-24-11 12:01 AM
    my credit card works. it remember my method of pymt. couple clicks, easy.
    11-24-11 12:03 AM
    I think that is going too far and harsh. I think someone mentioned that the device could have been designed to boot up with whatever system it was loaded with and then provided a prompt to find wifi for an update or to proceed with an old/outdated OS. (edited to add) there are even folks who live in the boonies where they might have cell service but no link to a network either cable or dsl.

I'm pretty sure that a number of users don't expect that they can't even boot or use it the first time without wifi.

Some may have purchased it solely as a companion to their bbphones and never anticipated needing wifi at the get-go.

In either case, rim provides a standalone tablet that has no native email/calendar and needs wifi or rim provides a companion tablet to their bbphones but cannot rely on the bbphone to help boot the system.
    Last edited by F2; 11-24-11 at 12:12 AM.
    11-24-11 12:08 AM
    Never had an issue with app world that couldn't get resolved. Have any of the people claiming to have these problems actually tried any of the solutions???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 12:09 AM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think that is going too far and harsh. I think someone mentioned that the device could have been designed to boot up with whatever system it was loaded with and then provided a prompt to find wifi for an update or to proceed with an old/outdated OS. (edited to add) there are even folks who live in the boonies where they might have cell service but no link to a network either cable or dsl.

I'm pretty sure that a number of users don't expect that they can't even boot or use it the first time without wifi.

Some may have purchased it solely as a companion to their bbphones and never anticipated needing wifi at the get-go.

In either case, rim provides a standalone tablet that has no native email/calendar and needs wifi or rim provides a companion tablet to their bbphones but cannot rely on the bbphone to help boot the system.

i just went to a Starbucks and accessed their wifi when i first bought my Playbook when they first came out ... and while i also have a bold 9900 i am happy to use the PlAybook standalone .... lots of wifi places and no extra billing for an additional data plan ....
    11-24-11 12:24 AM
    I think you should return your PlayBook and get an ipad. Have you actually read all 12 of your posts? If you cant even figure out how to update it then you should just quit now.
    stevepar likes this.
    11-24-11 12:43 AM
    When I bought my current one, I was hungry, so off to IHOP, and tada! Free wifi, update, and great stack of cakes! Mmmmmm...... bacon.....
    11-24-11 12:56 AM
    Same thing with me... from the very beginning, I cannot purchase an applications or games using credit card... I did that paypal account approach too, but still no luck... and every "walk-around" procedure that I've read... and I’m one of those "early birds" who bought PB in prime price...

My last option is the official OS2... which I hope and pray that will be delivered as promised...
    cutlass5268 likes this.
    11-24-11 02:57 AM
    Never understood why people have this problem... My credit cards and PayPal have worked with App World for several years now without incident...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 03:06 AM
    I suggested in another similar thread - RIM should find some way to manually handle purchases if they can't fix the problems.
    11-24-11 10:10 AM
    While I use Paypal, my wife uses Visa on her Playbook which works fine. I wonder if the OP tried the free RIM tech support before ranting here. I get this kind of thing at work all the time. When the user finally does contact me about a tech problem they usually say something like "crap system has never worked" but failed to report the problem previously. The worst one I had was a user reporting that her Outlook has not been sending/receiving email since a year previous to her reporting it. The problem? She had it in "offline mode" :-).

I guess since RIM has millions successfully using App World they need esp to realize it's not working for this user.
    Fortunately, I believe I'm smart enough to actually contact support and search forums and knowledge bases before complaining in an open forum. RIM shouldn't need esp to realize their payment system (yes I know it is outsourced) is spotty, due to the large volumes of complaints a person can find by doing a simple google search of app world error id 10,000. I was told by support to use Paypal as a "work around". That's like going to the grocery store and having the teller say, oh you'll have to use cash as a work around for our useless point of sale system that sporadically rejects credit cards for no reason. Work around is just tech speak for "until we actually figure it out and can fix it". Problem is, looks like RIM has had this problem with Digital River since 2009 according to the posts on the Blackberry support forums.

Official answer from RIM: This is a previously reported issue that is currently being investigated. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Obviously it's a problem with Digital River, but if RIM is going stick with them if even 1% of their customers are having this problem , is sheer stupidity in my opinion. If, as you say, RIM has millions of people using app world, that equates to a pile of cash that they and their devs are flushing down the crapper because of a extremely poor payment system.
    Last edited by cutlass5268; 11-24-11 at 03:58 PM.
    6120111 likes this.
    11-24-11 03:49 PM
    Got another email from RIM support. She suggested I check on my phone and make sure the cc payment details were the same as on my PB. Once I updated the cc info on it, I can now make app world purchases on my PB!! So I'm guessing if you have several BB devices, you have to go in and update the app world payments settings on each device. Seems odd, but it worked.
    11-24-11 10:02 PM
    I cant believe I need a wifi connection to get this thing going! Im at work and there is no wifi connection.

I have wifi at home and can use it there but this should be usable out of the box. I know for a fact that this will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I thought it was supposed to tether to my BB. It should be able to do that out of the box.

Seriously RIM. I have owned your products for 10 years. It seems your devices are getting harder to use than easier. I cant buy this for my wife,Dad, Mom Kids as they wouldnt be able to figure it out.

Even I should be able to plug into a DM to set up. That doesn't work at all either.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed.

I just got the 9900 and while I love the device feel and for the most part function, the battery life is non existent.

Disappointed
    11-28-11 02:34 PM
    ISeriously RIM. I have owned your products for 10 years. It seems your devices are getting harder to use than easier. I cant buy this for my wife,Dad, Mom Kids as they wouldnt be able to figure it out.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed.

I just got the 9900 and while I love the device feel and for the most part function, the battery life is non existent.

Disappointed
    I am going to assume that you are serious - but, really, this is the first time I've heard this complaint.

To begin, the device is a wifi only device which makes connection to a wifi hotspot kind of a logical priority. But having said that, the installation is as easy as pie if you are in range of a hot spot.The device is shipped without an OS. The install process walks you though the connection process. Then you create or specify your BBID after which follows a massive OTA installation of the latest OS. There is even a built-in mandatory tutorial that teaches a new user about gestures and controls so your mom, dad and kids will be up and running in no time.

Connecting to your smartphone via the bridge is also painless but is logically handled after the OS has been updated. I doubt if you would be impressed if RIM gave you the option of using your phone's data plan to download the OS.

Hang in there and your disappointment will soon abate. (Have you downloaded and installed the bridge app on your BB smartphone yet?)
    11-28-11 02:59 PM
    Wow. I actually liked something you said.

ETA: From the start, I have had no trouble purchasing apps with my visa in appworld. Me thinks user error may be the root of your predicament.
    11-29-11 12:23 AM
    I initially when I got my playbook was able to purchase Apps easily with paypal or a visa card. After an update to app world that all ended and I am now stuck with error 10000 and they have debited my card on 3 occasions without me being able to download the apps.
    11-29-11 03:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD