i realised that on the playbook, only 1 app can be downloaded/updated at once. so if i am downloading/updating 5 apps, i would have to wait for each individual one to finish downloading AND installing before the download for my 2nd one would start.

what's going on?! this is even more backward than app world on bbOS. RIM take note.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-20-12 04:55 AM
    Well it certainly isn't convenient for some people in this modern, and fast paced day and age. However, I wouldn't call it a HUGE FLAW. When using my computer, I might download applications simultaneously but I only install them 1 at a time. So I guess I'm used to this sort of thing.

Simultaneous downloading/updating and installing would be nice, but how necessary is it really? Does it take away from the usefulness of your device? Just have a little patience.
    04-20-12 05:18 AM
    Yeah I wouldn't call it a huge flaw either but the best you can do is while one is downloading, select another app to update and it will after the other one is finished installing...i think so anyway. Update all would be nice but until they rewrite the app in Cascades we won't have multiple downloads at once.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    04-20-12 05:27 AM
    Yes it is an inconvenience in some cases. Especially when one download might take 500 mb but the next one is only 2.
    04-20-12 05:29 AM
    Try installing 2 softwares at the same time using Windows... Won't work.
    Barljo, meganVee, Hamp and 2 others like this.
    04-20-12 05:35 AM
    This is the same for any mobile platform. iPhone may show you the icons with a line and a nice little blue line as they download and update, but they are one at a time as well. Even itunes only downloads updates for apps at 5 or 6 at a time. To me this is standard download management and not a big deal. You can see the size of the updates, select which ones you want to download in any order you chose and then let it run in the background.
    NARva and gregorylkelly like this.
    04-20-12 06:06 AM
    Hmmm end of the world.
    04-20-12 06:09 AM
    the one and only reason why this shouldn't be happening is that bbOS was able to have multiple updates.

with apps on the pb running into hundreds of MBs, this will be a problem in the future.

people defending this sound exactly like the people who defended the edof camera when it came out on the 9900. if you are happy with a downgrade, so be it. but you shouldn't be acting as a deadweight for those who seek improvements, or rather those who want newer devices to be able to at the very least do what older devices were capable of.
    04-20-12 06:27 AM
    there are better things to worry about..i dont mind. i just update all and open another app and do something else. no biggie

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    bounce007, taylor96 and peter9477 like this.
    04-20-12 06:31 AM
    That does it - I'm putting my PlayBook on Craigslist immediately. But I suppose I will have to disclose this huge flaw. I hope it doesn't scare away potential buyers. Wait, I just realized it won't because it isn't a problem at all. Well, then, I guess I'll just keep it and continue to enjoy my fantastic PlayBook! Whew, that was a close one!
    taylor96, NARva and peter9477 like this.
    04-20-12 06:41 AM
    People really need to get a life. You know those windows updates? Downloads one after the next, not all at the same time. Installs one at a time, not all at once. Oh my life is ruined because my device doesn't download and install everything at the same time.
    04-20-12 06:49 AM
    I can understand the OP's point though. On OS7 devices you can download several updates or apps at once, I think what he fails to realize is that they still only install one at a time, where as the PB only downloads then installs one at a time.
    04-20-12 06:53 AM
    People really need to get a life. You know those windows updates? Downloads one after the next, not all at the same time. Installs one at a time, not all at once. Oh my life is ruined because my device doesn't download and install everything at the same time.
    Yep. Don't forget to rate this thread with the inflammatory title appropriately peoples.
    NARva likes this.
    04-20-12 06:59 AM
    This is the same for any mobile platform. iPhone may show you the icons with a line and a nice little blue line as they download and update, but they are one at a time as well. Even itunes only downloads updates for apps at 5 or 6 at a time. To me this is standard download management and not a big deal. You can see the size of the updates, select which ones you want to download in any order you chose and then let it run in the background.
    One minor difference is that in iOS when one app is installing, the next one is downloading at the same time. That does speed things along when you have a bunch of updates. I'm sure that won't be that hard for RIM to implement in a future release, and no it isn't a major flaw.
    04-20-12 06:59 AM
    WOW, I never noticed that, what a HUGE disappointment. I guess I'm going to have to put my PlayBook in a draw and never use it again.......WTF
    04-20-12 07:06 AM
    This really isn't an issue.

Finding more than 1 app in App World that you actually want is pretty unlikely!
    04-20-12 07:06 AM
    I think this sort of proves my point. What is "essential" for one person may matter not at all to another. Would some of you be responding the same way if this thread was about Netflix or Skype? Because there is no difference. The OP honestly believes this to be a major flaw. To others it is frivolous.
    Hamp likes this.
    04-20-12 07:14 AM
    This really isn't an issue.

Finding more than 1 app in App World that you actually want is pretty unlikely!
    Oh snap! Very well played.
    04-20-12 07:15 AM
    A 'huge flaw' ...that's hilarious!! I wouldn't even call it a 'flaw' at all. Some people it seems, are never happy...
    04-20-12 07:27 AM
    Don't worry, android Google play market also the same...

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    04-20-12 07:34 AM
    Thanks for OP. I do "multiple downloads" at my wife iphone all the time but as others pointed out it is not really multiple simultaneous thing. Even if it is, it will probably slow things to a claw like in BBOS (on my 9800 anyway on 3G).

I do not know about you but when I want to download several apps in PB, I just click them all. Then I fire up browser and a game or two having a good time. Multitasking at its best.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-20-12 07:42 AM
    As I recall you can update one and queue the others to update automagically. You don't have to restart between each update. Just queue them all and go play Angry Updaters while they work. No biggie for me.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-20-12 07:53 AM
    Yep, RIM should drop everything and get this implemented...

... And then the inevitable complaint: "PlayBook updates are so SLOW to download!"
    04-20-12 07:57 AM
    Thanks for OP. I do "multiple downloads" at my wife iphone all the time but as others pointed out it is not really multiple simultaneous thing. Even if it is, it will probably slow things to a claw like in BBOS (on my 9800 anyway on 3G).

I do not know about you but when I want to download several apps in PB, I just click them all. Then I fire up browser and a game or two having a good time. Multitasking at its best.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Question: you can download and browse at the same time?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-20-12 08:01 AM
    Perhaps the OP is not using Showcase mode, so when he queues up the downloads and then switches away to do something else, they stop arriving.

Just make sure you're in Showcase mode, start all the downloads you want, then go play a game or browse for a bit.

And if you find an ongoing 500MB download preventing a 2MB download from starting, just start the downloads the other way around next time.
    04-20-12 08:02 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD