Even if the PB isn't in showcase mode app world continues to update apps as long as its still an active app(one of the place cards). You can continue to do what you want as long as you leave app world as one of the open apps. True multitasking at its best.
    04-20-12 08:10 AM
    I'd say their broken search system is the only major flaw in App World. I'm sorry, but if an app is called "Newspile" and I type "News Pile", it should know exactly what I mean!

Seriously, go try my example. It's a little embarrassing what shows up. In fact, I can't even find Newspile on the list anywhere when I type "News pile". There are a lot of apps like this that are one word but sound as two. It makes those apps really really hard to find if you only hear the name and don't read it.
    kbz1960 and alnamvet68 like this.
    04-20-12 08:18 AM
    I'd say their broken search system is the only major flaw in App World. I'm sorry, but if an app is called "Newspile" and I type "News Pile", it should know exactly what I mean!

Seriously, go try my example. It's a little embarrassing what shows up. In fact, I can't even find Newspile on the list anywhere when I type "News pile". There are a lot of apps like this that are one word but sound as two. It makes those apps really really hard to find if you only hear the name and don't read it.
    Agree with this. We are so spoiled and lazy in our searches since Google reads our minds to discover what we really want. Any search engine that doesn't read minds feels incompetent.
    04-20-12 08:25 AM
    Try installing 2 softwares at the same time using Windows... Won't work.
    Wrong... often building PC's for friends, I will install virus, firewall software and spyware detection software all at once. Have done so for many years.
    04-20-12 08:25 AM
    HUGE flaw! To the OP it obviously is. To others it is less so or even non-existent. It is all in your perspective; I would have titled the thread "I found 5 apps on app world" or "Devs update 5 apps; thanks"
    04-20-12 08:29 AM
    To me the bigger annoyance is that it does not resume if the download fails for some reason, this combined with the PB's ability to take out my Wifi can be quite a pain.
    04-20-12 08:37 AM
    Wrong... often building PC's for friends, I will install virus, firewall software and spyware detection software all at once. Have done so for many years.
    Almost every app/agent/update in Windows now uses MSI (Microsoft Installer). MSI can queue installs but it will only do one at a time. If the object being installed does not use MSI, it might be able to install alongside something else.

Very, very often if your are installing an App in Windows and you try to install another, it will tell you to wait until the other install finishes.
    04-20-12 08:54 AM
    People really need to get a life. You know those windows updates? Downloads one after the next, not all at the same time. Installs one at a time, not all at once. Oh my life is ruined because my device doesn't download and install everything at the same time.
    I believe the OP was referring to marking all desired updates and installing them in a batch. You can do so in Windows, but not on the PB.
    04-20-12 09:01 AM
    What is also being overlooked here is that you have limited bandwidth over your Wifi connection and even if you were downloading multiple things at once, it would take just as long since you'd be using the exact same amount bandwidth, just now being divided between multiple focuses...
    04-20-12 09:05 AM
    To the OP, I also wouldn't call this a HUGE flaw. If you've used Google Play or Apple App Market, you probably know that there are many many many things that the App World is missing. It's just super basic. And some of the omissions deserve to be called "a HUGE flaw" more than this one.

Please, see the linked thread where people suggested App World improvements, some of which should have been implemented by now:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ements-691591/
    04-20-12 09:06 AM
    Since we heard that the current browser isn't changing at all because it will be coming as a Cascade app soon, do we think this might be the case with App World as well? I sure as hope they are rewritting App World with cascades, so maybe that is why we have not really seen it change at all since it's release (aside from minor things such as categories and so on).
    04-20-12 09:12 AM
    I just want to point out one thing. Updating 2 components at the same time is not a logical method due to how a hard drive/flash drive works. You will get serious performance issues with it. It makes more logical sense to force one first and than do the second when it completes.

If you want to test, copy one file on a computer, while copying, grab another see what happens. The system can only read one sector at a time. Although this is improved on solid state/flash drives the problem still exists.
    04-20-12 09:13 AM
    I just want to point out one thing. Updating 2 components at the same time is not a logical method due to how a hard drive/flash drive works. You will get serious performance issues with it. It makes more logical sense to force one first and than do the second when it completes.

If you want to test, copy one file on a computer, while copying, grab another see what happens. The system can only read one sector at a time. Although this is improved on solid state/flash drives the problem still exists.
    Not true with NAND storage. There are no 'sectors' on it as on HDDs and no single head that would restrict writing/reading to one 'sector'.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-20-12 at 09:24 AM.
    04-20-12 09:19 AM
    now we're just grasping at reasons to .

This isn't a design flaw, nor even a "HUGE design flaw". This is, believe it or not, usually intentional. Most devices do sequential loading of software. Last I checked, the ipad, and most computerish devices only really let one thing install at a time.

the only significant "flaw" with App world is that it's a terribly written app itself that is horrendously slow to respond, sufferes from ridiculous frame rate issues while navigating and often times just stutters along taking forever to load much.

sequential loading? thats not a flaw
    04-20-12 09:28 AM
    But according to some people on these forums, no one actually uses apps so in light of that, its logical that you would only be able to download one app at a time. Afterall, who would be downloading 2 apps?
    Jean-luc_Picard likes this.
    04-20-12 09:30 AM
    Bottom line.....multiple downloads on the PlayBook at one time is not feasible and it's not gonna effin happen.....period. ......its not that effin serious.....my goodness its a TABLET.....not a super computer
    bounce007 likes this.
    04-20-12 09:31 AM

Now that is a flaw, IMO.

However, the concurrent downloads / install in the OP isn't a flaw as much as it is an inconvenience. Even though I have several apps (over 150) I don't think there have been situations where concurrent download / install has been an issue for me. There haven't been many updates to my apps anyway and I rarely just go nuts and download 5 new apps at once anyhow. I have other devices too - and this kind of seems like the norm across multiple platforms.
    04-20-12 09:41 AM

I agree, that is the only flaw I find in app world; the search function truly does suck. I tried several times to locate Free Video Chat/Search for Humans by Parabay, which is an active app still, and I'll be damned if I couldn't find it. Just to make sure it was an active app, I deleted it, and then reinstalled it without a hitch. It's there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
    04-20-12 10:01 AM
    WOW, I never noticed that, what a HUGE disappointment. I guess I'm going to have to put my PlayBook in a draw and never use it again.......WTF
    I have to do the same. I have no choice now, when you thought you had the ultimate tablet... it doesn't even multi-download... I guess i can't leave it for download while making a delicious sandwich.. Nope. I agree with you spencerdl.

Erm... now the real deal. This isn't a huge flaw and i even think it was designed and intended so. Also, i download on a very regular basis and i've downloaded a lot of apps not really seeing this as a disadvantage at all. I just set some coffee when i have a list of things to download. Nuff said.

It has been said before and here is the backup that i read by this guy:
    This isn't a design flaw, nor even a "HUGE design flaw". This is, believe it or not, usually intentional.
    Sidenote: Yup i do drink coffee that often
    I agree, that is the only flaw I find in app world; the search function truly does suck. I tried several times to locate Free Video Chat/Search for Humans by Parabay, which is an active app still, and I'll be damned if I couldn't find it. Just to make sure it was an active app, I deleted it, and then reinstalled it without a hitch. It's there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
    True, it does truly suck and they could improve that. Maby something for Blackberry to work at.
    Last edited by EpicSoftworks; 04-20-12 at 10:13 AM. Reason: adding a bit to my reply
    Spencerdl likes this.
    04-20-12 10:08 AM
    My trolling sense is sensing that we are running out of legitimate things to cry about. I remember the good ol'e days when netflix and skype were the order of the day. How I miss those days.

While I don't generally pay attention to such things since I have a life, I believe my android tablet may be similar to pb with regard to updates however you can set them to auto update in the back ground.

I really wish we could stop filling the forum with noise and nonsense posts that add little real value to the forum. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by zorecati; 04-20-12 at 10:13 AM.
    04-20-12 10:09 AM
    Not to worry Zorba, it will just be a matter of time when a dozen or so new sock puppets will sign on as newbies, and start posting trash talk about the PB's lack of skype and nutflix.
    04-20-12 10:12 AM
    This is the same for any mobile platform. iPhone may show you the icons with a line and a nice little blue line as they download and update, but they are one at a time as well. Even itunes only downloads updates for apps at 5 or 6 at a time. To me this is standard download management and not a big deal. You can see the size of the updates, select which ones you want to download in any order you chose and then let it run in the background.
    my android can download and install multiple updates at the same time

Try installing 2 softwares at the same time using Windows... Won't work.
    I have done this many times when i do a fresh install of windows.
    04-20-12 10:20 AM
    HUGE!? This is the kind of silly viewpoint that just makes me laugh. I've had my Playbook from day one and have downloaded about a hundred apps. Never been an issue at all.

When I was in the army, our BN Commander came over on Thanksgiving and got us some awesome food, out of his pocket. It was cold to the bone and he came out with his family to be with us. Most of us thought "hey, that is pretty cool. He did not need to do that" but one turkey said "Man, the lobster is cold. This sucks!"

Was it you? Maybe you are the same guy. Just kidding man but seriously "HUGE flaw"?
    NARva likes this.
    04-20-12 10:20 AM
    I have not tried in a while but I thought you could tap on INSTALL for more than one app and they will be sequentially installed, although not simultaneously.
    04-20-12 10:29 AM
    This is officially the dumbest thread on cb
    NARva and alnamvet68 like this.
    04-20-12 11:08 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD