Hello to all crackberry users im gonna buy a playbook but
    i just wonder if i can launch more than one android app at the same time and
    if it works
    it will be helpful if you give me and screenshot of how it works

Thanks
    03-23-12 09:00 AM
    Currently you can not, however at a recent RIM event I asked about this limitation and I was told that RIM is working on an update that will allow for multiple Android apps to run. When, I have no idea beyond it is on the task list.
    03-23-12 09:17 AM
    My experience has been that only apps loaded from BB App World that launch the v2.0 android utility within the native OS will allow the same native functionality of multiple screens running at same time in respective windows/tabs. Side-loaded Android based APK converted to Bar files loaded apps also will launch however only a single instance of these apps can be resident for use at one time. The Android v2.0 utility native to the OS 2.0 seems to view these side-loaded apps as unique and closes each one routinely as a additional one is launched.

So, for instance with side-loaded Amazon Kindle app, I have to use a native BB World app as the ePub Reader to have both open at the same time. Functionality should improve as more and more Android App Vendors migrate to BB World to have the BB market PB's as customers.
    03-23-12 09:26 AM
    Yes, you can absolutely run multiple Android apps at the same time, either App World-sourced or sideloaded. I'm running two sideloaded apps as we speak: Pandora and DocsToGo.

Not sure what pinkert11 was referring to above; perhaps the same thing that mdmullis was? Mdmullis appears to be answering the question "Can I launch multiple simultaneous instances of the same Android app?" -- which, while certainly an interesting question (and valuable response), is not, I believe, what OP was asking.

You asked for a screen shot? Attached is a view of an Android app open in the Android player. Note the status bar at the bottom of the app, where recently-launched apps are listed. You can switch to currently-open Android apps or open not-yet-launched apps by clicking on their icons there -- or by minimizing the Android player and using the icon on the PB homescreen.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-23-12 at 11:33 AM.
    03-23-12 11:24 AM
    Cletis, some android stay in a frozen state - such as qPDF reader but they not really running. If you use apps such as Mobile Admin or other similar apps you will notice that when you switch to another android app and back everything is disconnected. For example I have to reconnect to the mobile admin server, then log back-in to the server I was working etc. This is because the freeze state looses connections and live events.

What I am referring to is the ability to have multiple copies of the Android Player open running individual apps in real-time that host their own connections etc. This is a very big difference then how the android player works now with apps opening in one player that uses one set of connections.
    03-23-12 11:43 AM
    Cletis, some android stay in a frozen state - such as qPDF reader but they not really running. If you use apps such as Mobile Admin or other similar apps you will notice that when you switch to another android app and back everything is disconnected. For example I have to reconnect to the mobile admin server, then log back-in to the server I was working etc. This is because the freeze state looses connections and live events.

What I am referring to is the ability to have multiple copies of the Android Player open running individual apps in real-time that host their own connections etc. This is a very big difference then how the android player works now with apps opening in one player that uses one set of connections.
    It sounds like you're saying that while there's no problem running multiple simultaneous apps in the Android player, the player does not manage independent internet connections for each app, so contention there can cause app and/or player lockups?

If that's the case, your previous post must mean that RIM is working to allow the player to provide a more fully-feature virtual machine (so to speak) to each Android app, with separate connections brokered separately? That's good news.

In my personal experience, the Android apps I have run simultaneously do not tend to all require frequent/constant internet access, so contention potential is minimized.
    03-23-12 11:57 AM
    Yes, you can absolutely run multiple Android apps at the same time, either App World-sourced or sideloaded. I'm running two sideloaded apps as we speak: Pandora and DocsToGo.
    DocsToGo is not an android app.
    03-23-12 12:11 PM
    Rim is working on removing the limitation of a single android player instance but the ability to run multiple instances of the android player. In this way android apps would run very similar to native apps.
    03-23-12 12:23 PM
    DocsToGo is not an android app.
    There is an Android version as well as the native PB version.
    03-23-12 12:59 PM
    Rim is working on removing the limitation of a single android player instance but the ability to run multiple instances of the android player. In this way android apps would run very similar to native apps.
    Cool beans; thanks.
    03-23-12 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD